Great new Video by Tool/Jones

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Great new Video by Tool/Jones
By Verawench on Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 04:25 pm: Edit

Zack:

I did some digging: the video was "Stand Inside Your Love", off of "Machina: The Machines of God"... it looked a bit like "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" meets "Salome".. really beautiful.

Vera

By Heiko on Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 01:56 pm: Edit

I agree Videos usually do not support a good song (just watch the Chili Peppers' "Californication", the video is a shame!).

But there is music which is just perfect for a good video if both artists work together. This is the case with Cunningham and Aphex Twin. Those guys are friends, and Aphex Twin's music is instrumental noise. That makes a good music video.
Cunningham says that he hated to do the Madonna vid, but he did it for the money and maybe the attention he would get from it. He says he realized at some point that he wouldn't do videos anymore for music which doesn't exactly fit his personal taste. Something like "Windowlicker" is more of a short film with music by Aphex Twin, different than the usual stuff... it's a persiflage on the usual "I am Mr. Big"-R'n'B videos.

By Zack on Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 01:45 am: Edit

Hey Vera, what Smashing Pumpkins video was that? I was just watching "Tonight, Tonight" the other day on VH-1 and was thinking how fantastic the video was.

By Marc on Saturday, May 19, 2001 - 11:06 pm: Edit

Hey beautiful. Speaking of tool...

Videos strangle the imagination. Music activates
a sixth sense that videos annihilate.

By Verawench on Saturday, May 19, 2001 - 10:54 pm: Edit

Turning the sound off works wonders. I've done it with Marilyn Manson's videos, the ones directed by Floria Sigismondi - a brilliant artist who happened to be employed by a cheesy goth drag queen. Mark Romanek is also quite ingenious but NIN's pseudo industrial dronings do little to enhance his beautiful imagery. There was also that one Smashing Pumpkins video, done in stark black and white and retelling Oscar Wilde's "Salome" with gorgeous, rich visions. The song sucked...

Granted some of these mediocre musicians may have large input into the videos but in the end all they're responsible for is making some good choices - not the actual visual artistry.

I think someone needs to do reverse engineering on music videos... let some genius make the visuals first then underscore it with music, but without losing the initial effect of an audiovisual short.

Vera

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, May 19, 2001 - 09:17 am: Edit

Heiko,

Fuck the video. Turn the sound off. I've never been introduced to a song through seeing the video and thought something was added. Conversely, I've never seen a video for a song I already liked and thought anything was added, although sometimes it has soured my opinion of a band. Videos are basically advertisements for songs that turn the songs themselves into advertisements... especially if they involve lip-synching.

K.

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, May 19, 2001 - 09:10 am: Edit

Marc,

I think you'll be needing AENIMA soon too. As I haven't listened to the new one enough yet, I'd say it's their best. Great anger music. I love to listen to TOOL while grinding and cutting steel. If you refold the insert and stick it back in the prismatic jewel case, then tilt it back and forth, there's a hilarious animation of a contortionist sucking himself off while half dressed band members spectate from a couch. That's almost worth the price of admission right there.

K.

By Heiko on Saturday, May 19, 2001 - 05:07 am: Edit

I guess I should listen to the music more closely. I've only seen the last third of the video and was so impressed by the visuals that I didn't really listen to the music. What I heard was ok - but as always with videos, you won't listen that closely to the music (which is a blessing with some music though - I've watched whole videos by the spice girls or christina aguilera, I would not listen to a whole song deliberately...)

By Marc on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 11:54 pm: Edit

I read all of your Tool posts and went out a bought the cd a couple hours ago. I'd never heard the band before. Its great stuff. Propulsive, grinding, with a hint of weird middle eastern modalities. And yes the drumming is brilliant. Thanks for turning me on to Tool.

By Anatomist1 on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 08:50 pm: Edit

Yeah, the drumming is the first thing that grabs me on this new one.

K.

By Joalco on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 08:10 pm: Edit

I picked up Lateralus on midnight on the 14th, and haven't really listened to anything since. It's a huge, sprawling monster of a record, and I for one am blown away by it. Danny Carey, simply put, is not fucking human. He's a four-legged, eight-armed alien-drummer-cyborg-thing.

I can't wait to see these guys live...

jc

By Anatomist1 on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 06:27 pm: Edit

You can see the rest of TOOL's videos on the DVD/CD release from 2000 called SALIVAL. I'm very big on TOOL's music and I like the images on their videos, but the two don't seem to fit together all that well. I feel the same way about 99% of videos.... PRISON SEX has some great stop action work reminiscent of The Brothers Quay... So far, the new TOOL release seems very good. It'll take a few more listens, especially while working, for me to render a real opinion.

K.

By Heiko on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 06:18 pm: Edit

btw. just found two pics from two of the "loveliest" creatures in Cunningham vids. I don't know what it is exactly, but those monsters really frighten me more than anything else I've ever seen. I find this kind of horror visuals extremely fascinating.
Daddy
Windowlicker

By Heiko on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 06:14 pm: Edit

I've just seen the end of the new Video "Schism" on TV and was very impressed by some mighty visuals. I haven't seen any Videos by Tool before - they must all be pretty interesting, all of them produced by their guitarist Adam Jones.

At first I thought that it must be a Chris Cunningham video, it had this nightmarish touch and featured monstrous faces, kind of like horror/sci-fi. Similar to what Cunningham did in the "Come to daddy" video for Aphex Twin or in the "All is full of Love" video for Bjork.
I really want to see that one in full length, not because of the music (which I found ok, but not very special). Maybe I am lucky and get to capture it soon.
Has anybody seen it, maybe in full length?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation