Archive through June 5, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Thujone levels of commercial absinthes. + general questions about labels.:Archive through June 5, 2000
By tabreaux on Monday, June 05, 2000 - 10:47 pm: Edit

Using every bit of information I've processed over the past seven years, my calculations indicate that quality original Pontarlier labels contained anywhere from 50-100mg/kg total thujone. I do agree that I feel that thujone is not the only player in the secondary effects, although I'm convinced it plays an important role. I also have some evidence that indicates that the presence of other essences and even manufacturing methods is influential.

By Absintheur on Monday, June 05, 2000 - 03:50 pm: Edit

I'm a curious about all these confident proclimations regarding thujone content (both here and in Mike Iavarone's forum).

Did I miss a mailer (if so, please send it, I'm very interested)?

Regarding the EU compliance issue discussed in this and other forums, I am told that this only becomes an issue when absinthe is exported. The Spanish government has not, to the best of my knowledge, instituted any independant testing program. Generally distillers self report, and the numbers that they come up with are variable depending on weather, mood, and phase of the moon.

Regarding unregulated absinthe (vintage Pernod, La Bleue, and home distilled product), I've seen three sets of hypothetical numbers that are broadly applicable.

Years ago we started the thujone discussion with the hypothetical number of 100mg/kg, which was never legitamized, and still I don't know where it came from. Then, I posed the problem to a herbalist friend of mine (not a scientist, not even particularly good at math), who came up with the estimate of 30mg/kg, which corresponded with the second hand numbers that Lasala was self-reporting at that time. Finally Wilfred Arnold dropped the 200+mg/kg bombshell earlier this year -- but quickly backed away from a firm commitment to that number, saying that it very likely included other herbal essences and alcohols.

So, we can confidently say that the thujone content of any absinthe that you may consume is somewhere between 1mg/kg and 300mg/kg thujone.

Does it make any difference?

No, because, as of yet, not one person has come forward and reported that the secondary effects that they've experienced have, in any way, differed in correspondance with concretely verified thujone content.

I, for one, experience the same alert sensation when drinking Sebor, La Bleue, and Deva, whereas I merely get very drunk when drinking Mari Mayans, Segarra, and Lasala. Most folks disagree.

Drink what you like. There are enough brands out there for everyone to find a favorite.

Absintheur (who will now climb back into the lonely little cave that he has been living in)

By SeaRobin on Monday, June 05, 2000 - 03:09 pm: Edit

>As we are preparing to market a (non-EU >compliant) authentic recreation of Pernod, and >as we have the original pre-ban products to >comapre it to, our product will be in the 90 >mg/Kg class. This tastes great, and no, it >doesn't make anyone who has tried it go nuts or >see anything strange.

Please consider me as one of your test subjects. Although I am relatively new to Absinthe, I am a Beer Judge in the US and am fairly sought after for my taste buds. I judge beer contests both professional and amateur and really work at identification of flavors. I would be honored to give your product a try.

Thanks
Chris

By B.M.Don on Monday, June 05, 2000 - 11:12 am: Edit

We are planning to run GC tests on many brands to establish actual thujone levels. Yes, you can count on the Spanish brands having no more (and often less) than 10 mg/Kg, and same is true of genuine export Sebor. The Krasni Lipa 'local' Czech 'Sebor' is more or less thujone free, as is Hills.

Yes, pre-ban Pernod was probably close to 100 mg/Kg. As we are preparing to market a (non-EU compliant) authentic recreation of Pernod, and as we have the original pre-ban products to comapre it to, our product will be in the 90 mg/Kg class. This tastes great, and no, it doesn't make anyone who has tried it go nuts or see anything strange.

Best guess for La Bleue, pending testing, is on the order of 30 mg/Kg. We KNOW how to make La Bleue, but why bother? What we are making, in several variations, is so much better. I do like La Bleue -- I drank three liters of it during March -- but it just isn't in the same class as pre-ban products or modern products made to pre-ban standards. If you don't believe me just ask Ted.

By JKK on Monday, June 05, 2000 - 08:01 am: Edit

The maximum in the E. U. is 10 mg. All the Spanish absinthes claim to have the maximum allowable, I believe, but whether they actually do is another question. Pre-ban absinthe probably had about 100 mg., although this hasn't been proved--anyone out there done a spectograph test on it? So, Spanish absinthe is only about 1/10 as strong as the real thing as far as thujone goes. According to Kyle who markets Sebor, the Czech republic allows 30 mg. of thujone, but Sebor still contains only 10 mg. Absinthe in any form is illegal in Switzerland, but law enforcement agencies seem to be lax in controlling home brewers. La Bleue is a blanket term for Swiss home brew, not all of which is of high quality; (check Conrad's book for this). The kinds sold by Bettina here in the States all seem to be first-class, however. Still, they are different products, made by different farmers, and the tastes and thujone levels are all different. That " Absinth Strong" stuff is a fake. Don't trust anything called Sebor, unless you buy it from Kyle; (he's in the buyer's guide.)

By pauloconte on Sunday, June 04, 2000 - 03:20 pm: Edit

methinks the whole euro region has a 10mg limit on
thujone in absinthe. To go higher, as they say,
requires a visit to ms betina's la bleue, which
will set you back more than your grandmother's
wedding ring, but will get you up there where the
air is rarefied...Hills and the spanish are
economy, la bleue ain't business class, its first.

By Prophet on Monday, May 29, 2000 - 04:01 am: Edit

(sorry about my bad english.)

Hello ! This thing may have been discussed here before, but I'm quite new around and I'd like to have some clearance about modern absinthe contents.
So, the legal thujone limit is 10mg/kg in the UK. Are there any other limits inside the EU ? I live in Finland and have found no information concerning local laws and absinthe. The customs have "cought" me once, but I only had to pay the import taxes.
Now I'm going to order some more absinthe because my supplies have been used. This time I'm going to order from spain because of the cheaper price. However I'd like to know if anyone has an idea of how much thujone/kg there are in the spanish brands, like Deva and Lasala? What about Mari Mayans ? If anyone would know the legal maximum of Spain, it would help too.

I trust the buyers guide when it comes to taste and stuff, but if anyone has something else to inform, I'd be glad.

And finally. I've found several sites selling Sebor Absinthe:
www.sebor-absinthe.com claims that they are the only place which sells Sebor Absinthe with more thujone than 2mg/kg in it. Is it true? Before I found out about this site, I ordered a bottle of "absinthe strong" from http://www.seborabsinth.cz/ . It is now on its way and they said it was the original sebor absinthe containing the minimum 10mg/kg of thujone. Is this site a cheat that sells "milder" absinthes? It would be good to know If I was cheated or not.

Thank You.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation