Is it just me?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Is it just me?
By Pataphysician on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 - 12:06 pm: Edit

>Christ, what would the local news make of that one?

Local Man Dies In Meth Lab Explosion

By Mr_Rabbit on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 - 11:34 am: Edit

I am going to reduce the alcaholic content of some Deva this weekend, and try it on ice cream in a sugared and non-sugared form.

I think I will just evaporate it overnight and see how that goes. I really don't want to risk an explosion by doing it on the stove.

Christ, what would the local news make of that one?

By Melinelly on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 05:44 pm: Edit

welcome, Pantrax =) check the "Bay Arean absintheurs" thread for a link to sign up for the bay area email list kallisti set up. we can update you on local happenings from there.

cheers,

em

By Loucheliver on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 04:34 pm: Edit

Mr. Rabbit,
I prefer freshly ground and brewed espresso, and have had it w/both Deva, and N.S. 2 double espressos in a big coffee cup w/a double dose of absinthe will start a leisurely Sunday off in a good way.
By the way, on an unrelated note absinthe is pefect to take camping, light to carry in, great for drinking while staring into the fire, you don't need to take a heck of a lot, and helps you go nighty-night when things are crashing through the woods. We even have a spot called Cafe Absinthe where we have a celebratory tipple before hiking home.

By Anatomist1 on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 03:32 pm: Edit

If I liked such things, I'd evaporate some of the alcohol out of the absinthe before putting it on the ice cream... maybe even mix it with some good cane sugar until it developed a syrupy consistency. 100+ proof liquor just doesn't seem like it's in the proper state for a marriage with ice cream.

K.

By Pantrax on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 03:03 pm: Edit

Thanks for the welcome Morriganlefey. I just realized that my homepage URL is on my profile. It has literally not been updated in years, so please forgive its lameness. Yes I love Opal/Kendra Smith and anyone who would like to talk about that is welcome to email me about it (I just added my email address to my profile).

I may as well introduce myself now. I got interested in absinthe about 5 years ago and did some library research. However, there was little useful information I could find beyond the basics. I tried Usenet newsgroups and the WWW, and found a few things, such as the absinthe FAQ and Barnaby Conrad's book. I also found this site, which was then located at www.aluna.com. I tried to make some imitation absinthe by soaking wormwood in vodka etc. Yuk. I eventually gave up. My interest went on the back burner until a few weeks ago when a conversation rekindled it, and again I searched on the WWW and found this site (among others). Lo and behold, here was a detailed listing of commercial absinthes including reviews and vendor contacts! And a forum with people (many of the apparently very knowledgable) discussing it. I immediately sent an order to Spirits Corner, and here I am.

By Verawench on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Absinthe and ice cream... hmm... maybe it'd go well with Haagen Daas' rum and raisin flavor?

By Heiko on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 12:56 pm: Edit

I love absinthe with coffee as well. Someone posted it here (Loucheliver, maybe you?) as a good recipe and because I LOVE Irish Coffee, I had to try the absinthe+coffee+cream thing.

BTW I did not have any "real" ingredients at home, but I knew that Irish Coffee also tastes pretty good if you use instant coffee and coffee-whiter (I can hear some of you say "yuck"...). So I just poured a shot of Deva into a cup of instant coffee, added some sugar and coffee-whiter and it did taste good. I guess I have to try real coffee and real cream - it can only be better (same as with Irish Coffee - it's good with the instant stuff, but it's divine with the real ingredients)

By Petermarc on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 12:19 pm: Edit

french soldier's name for absinthe and coffee
'kalouah au lard'

By Morriganlefey on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 12:13 pm: Edit

Pantrax - Welcome! Good to see another Bay Area absintheur. You may want to email Kallisti (forum administrator - see link at left) to be added to her email list, for notification on bay area absinthe events.

- Morrigan (a fellow Kendra Smith/Opal fan)

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 11:15 am: Edit

Maybe mixing in plenty of sugar might help absinthe on ice-cream?

Absinthe with fresh orange juice is great though.

By Mr_Rabbit on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 11:04 am: Edit

I've tried it on vanilla, but suprisingly, it wasn't too good. The alcahol cut in very bitingly, in an unpleasant way.

I used Deva and Bryers.

By Pantrax on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 10:28 am: Edit

My father loves putting Anisette in his coffee. Lots of people like putting various things in coffee, such as whisky, irish cream, mint, orange liquer, etc.

How about Absinthe in ice cream? I've never tried it but sometimes I put rum or cognac over ice cream. Yum.

By Mr_Rabbit on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 06:43 am: Edit

Hmmm... what brand, and what sort of coffee?

I did that once and it was foul... maybe with different brands?

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Absinthe and Powerade,
Serpis and Slurpies,
never tried the coffee...

By Loucheliver on Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 08:44 pm: Edit

Or does anyone else LOVE absinthe and coffee?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation