Moulin Rouge Props on Yahoo

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Moulin Rouge Props on Yahoo
By Midas on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 04:57 am: Edit

Thanks Absinthesque. Much, much appreciated.

And Jonathan, good idea. Got anything planned for next weekend?

I just found out exactly where it is. Ta Da...

map4419

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 04:37 pm: Edit

I have every cork I ever popped from a bottle. All of them are marked in some way or another.
I just don't understand auctioning unmarked corks with no unique characteristics.

Wait, what was I thinking? It's Ebay. Your one-stop ridiculous shop.

By Chrysippvs on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 03:48 pm: Edit

There are people out there that collect corks....sounds odd but some are worth a ton of money...

By Heiko on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 03:33 pm: Edit

The corks must be a joke - Head, you hacked eBay and put those corks in there, right?

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 02:17 pm: Edit

Corks for sale?

By Chrysippvs on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 02:06 pm: Edit

Thanks for the tip Marcellin,

I just picked up a vintage Les Ronde 1 for like 70.00 bucks. Great deal on such a rare spoon, and on top of that it was used in the movie.

For those interested they have lots of great antique items on there, some over priced but some really nice. They had vintage waiter trays for 20.00 a pop, pretty nice.

- J

By Heiko on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 07:57 pm: Edit

I guess Buz gave his guys and gals too many of those before they started with the absinthe:
toothdrops

By Scoobydoo on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 07:34 pm: Edit

Good..let them drink Hill's and be gone with them.
They won't ruin the good stuff for us. One taste of Hill's and no one will want to have anything to do with absinthe from now on (from what i hear).

By Verawench on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 05:15 pm: Edit

Oh God.. everyone's going to start drinking Hill's...

20TH CENTURY FOX MUST BE STOPPED!!!

By Morriganlefey on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 04:58 pm: Edit

Marcellin -

The "lighting" refers to the idiotic "nouveau" absinthe ritual started by the Hill's folks in swanky UK nightclubs wherein you set the sugar cube 'aflame and dump the whole sticky carmelized mess into your drink. Charming.

-M

By Marcellin on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 03:58 pm: Edit

Pantrax, In response to your inquiry about how this movie might spur interest in absinthe, I've found a few quotes from the stars of the show that indicate that the old prejudices and misconceptions still prevail. Plus, what's up "lighting" absinthe?

In Interview magazine, Nicole Kidman is being interviewed by the director Baz Luhrmann:

Baz: We did a lot of work, but we also had …
Nicole: Fun! Great fun. We had those incredible dinners, drinking wine and absinthe.
Baz: Ah, the absinthe. What exactly happened?….. what happened with the absinthe? Do you remember?
Nicole: I remember flames, I remember lighting the absinthe, but I don't remember much else. No, wait - I remember dancing wildly at one stage. On a chair, on a table.

In Details magazine, Ewan McGregor states:

"It's wicked stuff, I assure you. I couldn't see properly the next day. My vision was like…." he waves his hands in front of his face. "It's madness".

p.

By Frater_Carfax on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 03:31 pm: Edit

So Robert

Are we going shopping this weekend? I can detect a desire to give the credit card a polish ....

Jonathan

By Verawench on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 11:05 am: Edit

Marc, try digitalwench@hotmail.com

Dunno what happened there.

By Marc on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 10:59 am: Edit

vera, I've tried e-mailing you, but it keeps coming back as undeliverable. whats up?

By Verawench on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 10:51 am: Edit

My guess is most of the unfortunate masses will fall for that which is most readily available... i.e., NOT the good stuff.

By Verawench on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 10:51 am: Edit

My guess is most of the unfortunate masses will fall for that which is most readily available... i.e., NOT the good stuff.

By Pantrax on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 10:18 am: Edit

Any speculation on what this movie could do to/for the availability and popularity of absinthe? I bet there is a big but temporary surge of interest. I wonder how many movie viewers will find their way to this site and to Spirit's Corner....and I wonder if it will put absinthe "above the radar" for customs if many people start ordering it.

By Absinthesque on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 09:20 am: Edit

Midas, I have a card which I believe is his -John Cunnington, The Art of Wine and Food, 80 Queen Street, Woollahara. I thought it was in Paddington. It's definitely on Queen Street, a few blocks from Oxford. . . The absintheware is in the back. It's a bit pricey, but he's got some very nice things.

Mark

By Midas on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 07:30 am: Edit

Absinthesque, who is this mystery dealer in Sydney? I have scoured everywhere I can think of, and came up with two spoons and a mominette. I'd be interested to see his collection.
-Robert.

By Wormwood on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 06:52 am: Edit

I have that exact bottle at home.

Both the bottle and label look like reproductions to me.

Very, very good repoductions. I am plesantly suprised they went to all the trouble.

By Absinthesque on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 06:02 am: Edit

I met an antique dealer in Sydney with a nice collection of absintheware. Some of his pieces were used in the film and others were used as models for reproductions. The originals were returned to him, so it seems very unlikely that the studio would be auctioning off any authentic antiques.

By Petermarc on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 03:54 am: Edit

no, neither is the label...

By Verawench on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 09:33 pm: Edit

http://page.auctions.yahoo.com/auction/51986394

Wonder if the bottle's real? They say the props are either real or reproduced...

By Marcellin on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 07:58 pm: Edit

Morriganlefey, I'm glad I could be of some assistance. I think that Satine's Pink Dressing Chair is kinda cool. Not sure if I can make it mine - but I think I'll give it a try; what the hell.

p.

By Morriganlefey on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 - 04:43 pm: Edit

WooooooooOOOOooo... Thanks Patrick, I'm all over these. That red velvet chair WILL be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine...

- M

By Marcellin on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 - 03:36 pm: Edit

Check out this auction, if only to contemplate the obscure statement..

"The props from Moulin Rouge were either original antiques or painstakingly reproduced copies to ensure the authenticity in this on-of-a-kind production".

http://user.auctions.yahoo.com/user/fox_auction

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation