Will absinthe still be as easy to obtain in next few months?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Will absinthe still be as easy to obtain in next few months?
By Verawench on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 04:10 pm: Edit

I just read those quotes Marcellin posted on the other Moulin Rouge thread, with Nicole and Ewan raving about absinthe. Interesting "side effects"
Hmmmm.. I'm very curious what brand they were drinking. Think they splurged on the vintage?

Judging from their remarks, I'm guessing most cuious people who'll follow the movie into absinthe will be chasing a high.

By Pantrax on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 03:53 pm: Edit

I think the Green Fairy is fairly prominent in the movie. I just read in Newsweek that the director spent $300,000 of his own money on some sort of animated green fairy effects that the studio didn't want to pay for (the studio paid him back eventually).

By Heiko on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 03:42 pm: Edit

OUCH!!!

By Verawench on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 03:35 pm: Edit

::rolls up a newspaper and starts hitting Heiko over the head::

stop! being! bitter! geeeeeez!!!

"Come to think of it, maybe it's just the pain medication I am on b/c yesterday I had my surgery."

Hope you're doing ok, Scooby. And no, I don't think you're being naive. I do believe the movie will set off some rise in interest in absinthe but I don't know how heavily the Green Fairy figures into the movie's plot/visuals to guess... We'll see how much of an inspiration Kylie Minogue will prove to be ::shudders a bit::

Vera

By Heiko on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 01:24 pm: Edit

"an intelligent dialogue about absinthe"
Do you mean something like here?

By Pataphysician on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 11:52 am: Edit

>On the other hand, maybe the movie will help stimulate an intelligent dialogue about absinthe

Yes, Hollywood movies certainly have that effect on the U.S. public, don't they.

By Pantrax on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 11:19 am: Edit

Funny you should mention this, as I just posted a similar message under the "Moulin Rouge" thread. And I just placed an order with SC today in anticipation of a possible increase in demand for absinthe, and possible problems with either SC getting overloaded or customs or whatever. On the other hand, maybe the movie will help stimulate an intelligent dialogue about absinthe and maybe even lead to making it legal again in the USA...or not.

By Scoobydoo on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 11:09 am: Edit

So i am sure many of you have heard about the Moulin Rouge movie coming out around June 1st. Well, call me naive, but i think many people are going to start getting interested in absinthe; the number of members on the forum is going to shoot up (which is good).
So, in the movie, the Bohemians drink absinthe. Now, I think this will be the first introduction to many in America to absinthe and this will cause a great curiosity and probably demand. If this goes up, so will orders from SC and with that; perhaps then customs would crack down on it more.
Americans are an easy bunch to make fascinated in the green fairy; i know cuz i am one!
The movie opens June 1st, so let's see what happens. Reviews have been calling it "an absinthe trip."
Maybe I should put in another order with SC before the "hysteria" I predict occurs!
Come to think of it, maybe it's just the pain medication I am on b/c yesterday I had my surgery. So maybe I am just looney right now....Maybe i am being completely naive. Ah well, I can always blame the codeine.
Eric

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation