Another absinthe review...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Another absinthe review...
By Chrysippvs on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 02:50 pm: Edit

When I want a taste of the vintage absinthe that the poets and artists had I just dilute some Deva 70% with 3 parts Clorox.

Great stuff, and the secondary effects are amazing.

By Morriganlefey on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 10:02 am: Edit

Melinelly - Yes! I had tried Wolf's lil cocktail ages ago, because I very much liked the bitter edge of Segarra, but hated the butterscotchy-ness and the color. So in my absinthe-delerium I thought "add some of my beloved Deva, it can't hurt!" Pleasant surprise!

As Absinthedrinker says, it is still much too sweet for my tastes, but it improves the pissy color of Segarra and masks some of its caramel. Hand in hand, a refreshing & mellow pairing indeed!

By Heiko on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 07:29 am: Edit

Wolfgang,
I'm going to rely on any further reviews by you, we seem to have the same taste.
I tried Segarra 50/50 with Deva, Mari Mayans 55, Serpis and Herring.

I found every single one of these combinations to be an improvement. The best in my opinion was the Serpis-Segarra mixture (although the color is dreadful, some brownish red...). MM and Deva were also very good in the mixture, but Deva was a little better.

The mixture with Herring wasn't that surprising - I rather have Herring alone if I want to guzzle some many drinks without getting sleepy. IMO you only get the feeling for Herring if you drink more than 4 glasses :-)

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 02:48 am: Edit

Deva + Segarra + a dash of Mari Mayans makes a good 'house absinthe' to put in your decanter. It is still too sweet but about as good as it gets for Spanish varieties.

By Melinelly on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 10:32 pm: Edit

morrigan, didn't you used to have "deva and segarra walking hand in hand" as your fave absinthe in your profile?

i've still yet to try it.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Shit Damn! Turn it into ice cream and I've got CHUNKY DRUNKY. I think I'm onto something.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Speaking of mixing.
I have just stumbled across something so wonderful I must share it all of you.

3 parts Eden Soy Original
1 part Godiva Liquer
Muselix in the bowl

YUMMMM!!!!

By Tabreaux on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 10:09 pm: Edit

"Deva 50% and Segarra mixed 50/50"

Actually, that's not a bad idea, since like you pointed out, each is a bit 'obtuse' in its own way.

Maybe I'll try mixing Absinth King and Staroplzenecky......not!

By Wolfgang on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Ok, then again, another review...

Segarra :
Taste strange. Interesting but strange. Sugar improve it greatly. Nice louche, weird smell.

Herring :
Very circusy. A little bit too ''lemon pledge'' for me but overall a refreshing drink. Medium louche. Sugar can be used. Smells like artificial lemons (but that's not exactly lemon).

Now the good surprise :

Deva 50% and Segarra mixed 50/50 :
Up to now, the best Spanish absinthe I ever had. I prepared it with an half sugar cube, 1oz of each absinthe and about 7-8 oz water. It`s the best of both world. It leaves an interesting and unmistakable bitter aftertaste. Segarra add it`s complexity to Deva and Deva add it`s color and put a limit to the strangeness of Segarra. I think from now on, I will never order one without the other.

(My half sugars are already small cubes I cut in two tiny pieces).

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation