Reliable vendors

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Reliable vendors
By Btyre on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Wolfgang,

As stated before, SC is a retailer.

As for mailing liquor in Canada, my sources actually come from the Canada Post website; no I'm not a lawyer, and no I've not talked to one :).

Brett.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 09:08 am: Edit

I was talking to Btyre but thats fine...

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 11:45 am: Edit

Wolfgang, sorry, S.C. is not a Spanish Liquor board (what americans in assholish states know as ABC stores where liquor retailing is a state monopoly.)

S.C. is Spirits Corner, a Madrid/Barcelona wholesale/retail liquor distributor. As I am the last person on the board who mentioned SC, I assume you are talking to me.

No I am not a lawyer.

You want legal advice, queue up and pay $150 an hour.

However you don't need a lawyer to know that hundreds or thousands of absinthe lovers have been serviced by S.C. for many years and have never been disappointed.

And I'm saying that as one of their COMPETITORS.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 11:32 am: Edit

1) Can we consider S.C. to be some kind of Spanish Liquor Board ?

2) What are your sources of informations ? Are you a lawyer or have you asked one about that ?

By Btyre on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 10:27 pm: Edit

It seems to me that the only reason importation of alcohol via mail is illegal is because its too much effort for the government to track and tax it.

BTW, mailing of alcohol within, from and to Canada is not illegal as long as one of the parties is a Liquor Board, or if it is from a peace officer for testing.

Brett.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 09:30 am: Edit

Betty, seriously that is the exception not the rule, and your ability to sell this stuff does nothing but prove this.

Customs doesn't care, and they probably never will. The only way you have gotten bottles taken is by trying to (foolishly) import well over what can be thought of as personal use (ie over 5 bottles or so).

It simply doesn't happen unless you just have bad luck.

By Mr_Rabbit on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 09:21 am: Edit

I have one thing to add- disputing a credit card charge, if you do it within the specified time (usually 30 or 60 days, in your card agreement) you get your money back.

You tell your issuer 'they took my money and they shouldn't have.' and your issuer electronically takes the money back. There isn't really a fucking thing the vendor can do about it, aside from cease entirely to exist before the signal comes, and that would be much more expensive than giving back the cash.

At least, this has been the case with every credit card company I have ever dealt with (which would be in the hundreds.)

Now, explaining the situation to your card company... you take your chances there, and it depends on the rep and company. But if you say 'I tried to get this nifty thingamabob from this foreign country and didn't get it' odds are, they will say 'that sucks!' and give your money back.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 05:52 am: Edit

That's one Cz slimeball. NOT Spirits Corner. You tar all overseas vendors with the same brush, and that is unfair and untrue.

By Betina on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 01:52 am: Edit

I have 4 former Czech overseas vendor customers who all had the same experience..broken bottles or bottles confiscated by the postal service with letters (as specified in Mike's posts on confiscations.) It is not just customs...when they wrote to the vendor there was NO reply, AND no replacement. One had canceled an order, had that acknowledged BY THE VENDOR and still was charged on Visa. TRY TO DISPUTE THAT VISA CHARGE. He e-mailed again to the vendor...no reply. Some of the overseas vendors vanish in the e-mail ether when a customer has a problem. So do the domestic ones..like not replacing or refunding damaged or vanished merchandise....

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 07:10 am: Edit

Anyway Marc, no one thinks of you as a shill or a scumbag, my remarks were aimed at anyone who says buying from overseas is dangerous. It isn't, and I don't recall your ever having claimed that it is.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 07:07 am: Edit

Marc, I didn't think I was being very inflammatory. The vendor in question DOES like to perpetuate the fiction that buying from her is 'safer' than ordering from overseas, and that is a damned lie. There ARE other La Bleue domestic sellers, Doc, who I don't know, being a case in point, and yes, Zack, he does advertise on Mike's site (Absinthe Portal). Marc, you can just do a quick Google search for absinthe portal and there you are. They even have a forum although it puts me to sleep. Zzzzzz.

Justin was selling La Bleue but has now quit, I think, selling anything liquid.

Anyway why limit this to domestic La Bleue sellers? What's wrong with overseas sources?

By Marc on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 03:33 am: Edit

"I don't know if i can move that much shit".

Don't worry, you'll do fine. You're used to it.

By Zack on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 03:25 am: Edit

I'm not sure I could move that much shit.

Im only a jerk because I don't use emoticons.

By Marc on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 03:21 am: Edit

zack,

whats with the attitude?

I don't need any La Bleue. I have several years supply. I was thinking of my absinthe forum brothers and sisters. Why don't you contribute something of value instead of being a jerk.
And yeah if you're available, you can come and wipe my ass.

By Absinthesque on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 03:14 am: Edit

I bought one bottle from Doc. His prices for La Bleue are in the same ballpark as Betty's, perhaps a little lower, but I prefer Betty's product and service. Last time I checked he had an ad on the Absinthe Portal.

By Zack on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 03:10 am: Edit

Marc,
I'm not trying to advertise for him. I'll send you an Email address if you want.

Maybe if you post your home address someone will come wipe your ass for you too.

By Marc on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 02:52 am: Edit

so, give us a link.

By Zack on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 02:39 am: Edit

DOC, also goes by absinthe md or something. His website's not that hard to find.

By Marc on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 02:26 am: Edit

who's doc?

By Zack on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 02:24 am: Edit

Doc is in the US, he has La Bleue.

By Marc on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 02:12 am: Edit

Don,

unless you can suggest another stateside source for La Bleue, the "fearmonger" is the only US distributor.

I know you don't think of me as a scumbag shill.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 02:06 am: Edit

The vast experience of many many many buyers from SC and almost all other vendors overseas, is that the service is good and shipping is reliable. Any problems are the exception rather than the rule. Anyone telling you otherwise is a scumbag shill for a particular domestic reseller who likes to foment an atmosphere of fear.

In fact, it is just as illegal to ship liquor through the post, or in most states, across state lines via common carrier, as it is to mail it in international commerce. Those are the LIQUOR laws, not just absinthe-specific laws. And they are just as unenforced and mostly unenforceable.

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 01:51 am: Edit

You will soon love Cristina at SC for all your spanish absinthe needs.

And Betty for Bleue.

By Marc on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 01:45 am: Edit

ice,

spirits corner is a safe and very reliable source for what you want. I've been dealing with them for 2 years. Never had a problem. For la Bleue, try Bettina.

By Iceman on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 01:41 am: Edit

How much of a risk do you run by ordering from overseas? Anyone used spiritscorner.com? They've got terrific prices, but that doesn't mean much if your stuff gets copped. Thoughts on this or other vendors?
-ICE

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation