Need Assistance Chasing Green Dragon. A Little Help Over Here?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Need Assistance Chasing Green Dragon. A Little Help Over Here?
By Loucheliver on Tuesday, June 05, 2001 - 04:14 pm: Edit

But can you resist?

By Mr_Rabbit on Tuesday, June 05, 2001 - 03:00 pm: Edit

I just wont look at the clock this time... at least not after I have a drink or three

By Loucheliver on Tuesday, June 05, 2001 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Never heard of the Avalanche Rant, seems inappropriate for an August shindig.
If the party happens, we'll go to video of the Balinese Monkey Chant, if Mr. Rabbit can break out of his fabled "Neon Trance".

By Tavarua on Tuesday, June 05, 2001 - 01:37 pm: Edit

The Belinese Monkey Chant? Isn’t that similar to the East-Indian Avalanche Rant. I've heard good things about that one.

By Loucheliver on Tuesday, June 05, 2001 - 11:59 am: Edit

I'm sure that Mr. Rabbit, and possibly his friend would attend. We need more people so we can properly do the Balinese Monkey Chant.

By Tavarua on Tuesday, June 05, 2001 - 06:59 am: Edit

Loucheliver,

A-Town isn’t that far away, I foresee a gathering in the near future.

By Loucheliver on Monday, June 04, 2001 - 02:35 pm: Edit

Tavarua,
I figgered you were a different Jersyite. The other guy hasn't posted in ages as far as I know. He really blew it by not showing. We had 9 different brands the first time, including 2 lovely ones from Ted, and the La Bleue from Belle Epoch.
Louche Liver

By Wolfgang on Monday, June 04, 2001 - 01:11 pm: Edit

Well, my personal preference goes to Deva 50 and Segarra mixed together (or taken separatly). N.S. Wasn't bad too. Herring = artificial lemon (but Heiko may say otherwise...).

Wolf...(ok ok, I know I said that at least 10 times....;-) ).

By Mattb on Monday, June 04, 2001 - 09:16 am: Edit

Painter is indeed a cool program. I had Painter 3 on my old Mac a few years ago. I no longer have it because they wouldn't let me upgrade cross-platform (from Mac to Win). They said I'd just have to fork out full price again, so I told them to stuff it (bastards). I really like the application, though. I'll probably steal a copy from somewhere when I can just to spite them.

As far as looking like someone, I used to be told I looked like Ricky Schroter back when Silver Spoons was a new show (early 80's). When Stand By Me came out, it was River Phoenix. Then it was Brad Pitt, and when Titanic came out, my parents said they couldn't bear to watch Jack die because they had somehow made him become me (in their minds, of course). I had my hair a little longer then, and I can see the resemblance, but I don't think I look THAT much like Leo. I guess my bohemian lifestyle and artistic tendencies just filled in any details to make Jack and I one in the same (even though I can't really do much of a jig). Then, a couple of years ago, Leaving Sydney after a late night in Manley with my Aussie mates to see me off, I was mistaken for Brad Pitt at the airport. They were having technical difficulties with the luggage system, and my wife and I had to wait in a long line. A very effeminate little guy working there came up and did a double-take, and stuttered "I..I..Ooh! I thought you were Brad Pitt!". I was horribly hung over, sleep deprived, unshaven, and wearing my sunglasses (to cover my bloodshot eyes). I guess in that "Hollywood" outfit & state, I'm star material. Maybe if one of those guys makes a mountain adventure-type movie I could be the mountain bike or ski double. I could also do the dangerous computer stunts if they do one of those bad cyber-thriller type movies (the REALLY high-risk stuff like using GOTO instead of a WHILE loop - shudder!).

And for an on-topic piece, I finished off my last drop of Deva 70 last night, and that was my first bottle. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but would maybe like to try a more herbal-tasting variety. Are there any recommendations for what would be a natural progression from there, or should I just pick a couple of the favored brands at random?

Matt

By Tavarua on Monday, June 04, 2001 - 07:43 am: Edit

Mr. Rabbit,

That wasn’t me. Number one, I just started this craze, I am not even getting my first shipment until the end of June, but it will be a nice one. I figured the price will be $186.00 for five bottles. It’s looking like serpis, segarrra, deva, NS, and Montana. I will be sharing the love with several friends, but hope to have some left over at the end of the night. Some Jerk-off got my check card and bleed my account to almost nothing. It is all insured but will take a good bit of time before I see my account restored. Anyway, that’s enough violin playing.

Number two, I am a newby, so I haven’t really acquired the alliances of those that are throwing these little swarays. Hopefully I will have something going by the time I get my bottles, sometime within the next three weeks.

Loucheliver:

If you hook up the website, drop me the URL. That is a really good idea, as I have indicated in previous postings, I would find it interesting to find out how many heads are accessible to this area, so we could get something started. Who knows, at some point down the road maybe we could even start a Newsletter, Absinthe reviews, event coverage, artwork, who has had the best luck with different distributors, etc. This may or may not be a good idea, I understand that this will bring some unwanted attention, unless it is heavily monitored and membership is researched.

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, June 03, 2001 - 03:51 pm: Edit

tee hee

By Loucheliver on Sunday, June 03, 2001 - 04:31 am: Edit

tkiss
Well howdy Headster!! How's the Rouge smellin' these days?
Man, is my liver louched this morning, know what I mean?

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, June 03, 2001 - 02:20 am: Edit

Be careful he's a "HEAD"hunter you know?

By Grimbergen on Sunday, June 03, 2001 - 02:01 am: Edit

Tavarua,
I'll be driving through southern jersey around the 2nd week of August. Keep me informed about any events.

Grim

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, June 03, 2001 - 01:21 am: Edit

Hi Louchey! Just sayin' Hi!

By Loucheliver on Saturday, June 02, 2001 - 07:35 pm: Edit

Well Brother Bunny,
Since we had such a damn good time, I'd say we shwing it again. I haven't heard from any of the no-shows, and have no idea how many are from this neck of the woods anymore. A lot seem to have evaporated away like Fairy Fumes. Probably should fire up a separate post and see who bites. I'd be happy to host again.

By Mr_Rabbit on Saturday, June 02, 2001 - 10:11 am: Edit

Tavarua, we did have one- there was some guy from Jersey that didn't show (was that you?)

I'm up for another one- how bout you, Loucheliver?

By Tavarua on Friday, June 01, 2001 - 01:15 pm: Edit

Mr. Rabbit,

What's up, I'm in South Jersey, and I know that someone here is in Allentown. I plan on ordering my first cache of bottles in about two-three weeks. It's looking like five, I have a lot of friends that want to also try it. Maybe those of us that live in the NJ / PA / DE areas can arrange a gathering that was similiar to New Orleans, but on a smaller scale. I heard that was a huge turnout. Maybe in New York or Philadelphia. I'm just talking shit at this point, but if it sparks some interest with other board members, maybe we can realize it. By that time I will have tried five different brands and have a better grasp on the flavor and my preferences.

By Dread on Friday, June 01, 2001 - 06:52 am: Edit

Sounds like this thread had gone a little off topic so I thought that I would mention a VERY cool program that I just found. Drempels is a psychedelic screensaver that can also run as your wallpaper!!!! The effects of having your background swirl and rotate to different textures is just too cool and I haven't even had any Absinthe this early in the morning.

Go to http://www.geisswerks.com/drempels/ to download it. It is FREE and doesn't waste very much resources (suprised me). It is the coolest program I have seen on a PC in years...

Don't waste time, get it....

By _Blackjack on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 11:02 pm: Edit

I've spent to much time working tech support to ever trust a laptop.

One tool that does have me drooling is this:

http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/index.cfm

By Verawench on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 10:06 pm: Edit

Any of you artists on here drooling after the new Veio from Sony? I'd love to at least test drive it...

By Heiko on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 09:54 pm: Edit

Must be a real good proggie if you can do that nice stuff with it. I've only tried the "impressionist" and "pointilist" filters from Corel Photo Paint - these are nice, but the results don't look that real (maybe if you used all the options and a lot of time - but I just played around with it for a little while)

By _Blackjack on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 09:36 pm: Edit

Oh, and it was intended to look like oils on a piece of black-painted wood. It's a little clearer in the full-size version. Painter lets you do really snazzy stuff with overloaded brushed and palette knives and such, but, unlike real paint, you have an "Undo" command...

By _Blackjack on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Quote:

You actually painted that portrait yourself? I thought it was kind of an elaborate effects work done in a graphics program.

It was. The program is called "Painter" and it does a pretty snazzy job of mimicking real media. It used to be put out by a company called Fractal Designs, then Metacreations, and I think Corel owns it now. It comes in a paint can.

By Heiko on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Blackjack,

I must correct my statement: "you look like Zappa except for the nose" - that was something I realized instantly.
As well as I maybe look like Adam Ant except for the nose (and the make-up - I don't wear lipstick and rouge) ;-)

On the other hand if somebody tells me I look like someone else, I usually don't understand it. I guess someone's self-image must be quite different from how other people see him.

You actually painted that portrait yourself? I thought it was kind of an elaborate effects work done in a graphics program. Well, you don't have to doubt your abilities then, it looks great. I was wondering already how you could do that kind of thing with some graphics software. I can't imagine at all how you can paint something like this - I'm a total painting illiterate (and have zero talent for it).

By Mr_Rabbit on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 04:57 pm: Edit

"Are there any heads in the PA, NJ area that hang out at this forum. "

Yep. I'm in Harrisburg.

By _Blackjack on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 04:23 pm: Edit

Zappa? I'd thought the painting was a better likeness than that. Either I overestimated my ability or I'm just really used to what I'm supposed to look like. I certainly don't resemble Zappa in real life. I don' have nearly the nose for it. I'll have to scan an actual photo when I get home.

If I had to name I musician after whom I take, I guess I'd go with Al Jourgenson, but that's more a factor of similar grooming habits and taste in accessories than a real physical resemblance.

I kinda look like Penn Jilette, if I shave, pull my hair back, and wear a suit. As such, I never ever do those things.

Since I've lost a lot of weight, it has been noted that I have Tom Cruise's eyes, cheekbones and mouth, but sombody else's nose entirely.

So if Penn Jilette, Tom Cruise and Al Jorgenson were kidnaped by aliens and all fell into the cloning machine together, and the resulting egg was fertilized by Brian Blessed, you'd get a pretty fair copy of me.

By Tavarua on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 10:29 am: Edit

Flirty like a fox.

By Tavarua on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 10:26 am: Edit

Are there any heads in the PA, NJ area that hang out at this forum.

By Panks on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 10:15 am: Edit

Absinthe makes us flirty, no?

By Tavarua on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 10:09 am: Edit

Hey Hey, Hey Hey Hey,

This is about me, my needs. You guys have to stop being so selfish and direct all attention to me. You all sicken me. Nah, just playin.

Actually, I greatly appreciate all the feedback that I have gotten.

Morrigan and Melinelly:

Thank you for the detailed write-ups.

Heiko:

I am not sure I will try Mari Mayans, at least not for a while. It is my understanding that it contains no wormwood. Doesn’t that make it a pernod or partis?

Verawench:

Yes, I am a headhunter. It is probably the best job I will ever have; it is a lot of fun and I keeps food on the table, and Absinthe shortly, I hope.

Webfly:

Yea, I plan on staying as far away from Czeck brand Absinthe, having never heard anything positive about it.

Anatomist:

About the ignorant slut feedback. Well all I can say is “Yes, yes I am.” and it can only get worse.

Sorry about the delayed response. I was out of town yesterday and the majority of the time that I will spend on this forum will be when I am at my PA office. If I did not respond to anyone in particular, don’t take it personal, after all, that just means I like you. On the other hand, it could mean something far, far more sinister. Just try not to think about. Thanks again guys and gals.

By Verawench on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 05:47 pm: Edit

Bunch of narcissistic drunks ::grins::

By Heiko on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 04:33 pm: Edit

If Pata looks like Paul Simomon and I look like Adam Ant (as Marc supposed), then you definitely look like Frank Zappa!

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 04:30 pm: Edit

That's my short hair. It used to be much longer--down to my waist. I can barely get it into one of those little Yuppie ponytails at this point.

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 04:10 pm: Edit

Get a haircut, hippie!

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 04:04 pm: Edit

Hey, what about me? I'm pretty friggin' cute, too...

By Morriganlefey on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 03:35 pm: Edit

Argh...foiled. I've always been a sucker for those gaunt & angular new-wave types, and there it goes again. I shoulda known better.

- M

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 03:10 pm: Edit

Well, I gotta come clean, that wasn't really my picture before. I was employing a Duchamp strategy called "The Equivalent" whereby you represent yourself with a doppleganger photo. That was Paul Simomon of The Clash, who bears a striking resemblence to me.

By Morriganlefey on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 02:59 pm: Edit

Well consider yourself noticed (and then some).

-M

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Well, I was so peeved that no one noticed how beautiful I am, so I replaced it with chopped liver.

By Morriganlefey on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 02:19 pm: Edit

Awww Pataphysician, it's a shame you've changed your profile picture. I was rather fond of it *blush* and would've mentioned so earlier, but didn't want to start another "Heiko is Beautiful"-type thread...

- M

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Yeah, I love that artwork, but I'm really not very knowledgeable about SF pulps -- and even less about the stories. In the course of my job I did study Lesbian Pulp Fiction covers, though. Whoo-hoo!!

The one below I swiped from "Science Fiction" Dec. 1939. Maybe Koblentz wasn't a good writer but I love that title: "Planet of the Knob Heads" -- I was actually thinking of the other thread, the frat boys drinking Absinth King. Knob Heads.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 12:00 pm: Edit

Hey, pat a physician,

Are you interested in old SF pulp covers?

Koblentz is pretty bad though. This one looks like Amazing from the late Gernsback period before he took over Sexology and got out of SF.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 11:55 am: Edit

As none of the absinthe I know of has been made in USA, I fail to see how a weaker US dollar would help Europeans buy more European made absinthe. Except in the sense that a weaker US dollar would, in the minds of many Europeans, allow them to leap tall buildings in a single bound, etc., i.e., do things they could never do anyway.

It's IRRELEVANT.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 11:50 am: Edit

Agnat, are you trying to horn in on my racket? Strap-ons are standard issue here.

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 07:40 am: Edit

knob heads

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 07:38 am: Edit

knobheads

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 07:37 am: Edit

C\:My Documents\My Pictures\knobhead.jpg

By Heiko on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 06:19 am: Edit

Frater Carfax,

we must do something to weaken the US economy - that would probably help us Europeans and Australians to get our absinthe cheaper ;-)

But what could we do...? I can't think of anything, damn!

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 11:17 pm: Edit

Dammit Jim! Haven't you heard of the strap-on dildo solution?! Damn your infernal logic!

bones

Dildo Domination! The ultimate feminizing tool! (c)1999

By Frater_Carfax on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 10:21 pm: Edit

Tavarua

Another thing you may want to think about is whether you want to buy a few different absinthes for different occasions- ie there is the better quality absinthe you might buy to drink and savour with congenial company...and then there is the absinthe you might want to buy to take to parties or larger gatherings where you don't mind sharing it around a bit because it didn't cost and arm and a leg ie Deva and Lasala (aka Lemon Pledge)

Yeah, ok, some might call me a tight-arse, but with the Australian dollar at .51US cents it makes for pricy Lemon Pledge...

Jonathan

By Marc on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 09:21 pm: Edit

There is a Czech product that is not bad, Sebor.
It was the first absinthe I drank, so I have a sentimental relationship with it. But regardless of that, its still not a bad drink. Less sweet than the Spanish, with a nice herbal bitterness to it.

By Webfly on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 08:51 pm: Edit

One more thing - Don't buy anything made in the Czech Republic.

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 08:43 pm: Edit

Marc--do tell...I have no idea what you mean.

BC

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 08:42 pm: Edit

That "table" was for Deva. The prices are old, though, so add about a buck per bottle to what is listed there. The usefulness is how it shows the price breaks for shipping.

That wasn't the Chonging you had in mind?

And as for that, I have never lashed out at a real newbie, only the fake ones that are made up by the Desert Leech (Bettina).

Notice how I didn't mention strap-ons, either. That really makes Bettina mad.

BC

By Marc on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 08:40 pm: Edit

We've all just been Chonged!

By Marc on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 08:39 pm: Edit

We had an east coast tasting a little over a year ago in NYC. It was packed to the rafters. But, since I left Manhattan, there doesn't seem to be anybody there to keep the fire burning. In a city
of 10 million people you'd think...

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Bottles Price Pts/$ Total Unit
2 11,300 Pts 194.08 $58.22 $29.11
4 21,600 Pts 194.08 $111.29 $27.82
5 23,655 Pts 194.08 $121.88 $24.38
7 33,955 Pts 194.08 $174.95 $24.99
10 47,310 Pts 194.08 $243.77 $24.38
13 60,665 Pts 194.08 $312.58 $24.04
15 70,965 Pts 194.08 $365.65 $24.38
18 83,320 Pts 194.08 $429.31 $23.85
20 94,620 Pts 194.08 $487.53 $24.38
23 107,975 Pts 194.08 $556.34 $24.19
25 119,275 Pts 194.08 $614.57 $24.58

By Heiko on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 08:20 pm: Edit

That's the way it should be: let the women say hello to a newbie, that will provide a much warmer welcome...

Tavarua,
I have to object when you expect Artemis to flame you. IMO he never flamed anybody - he might get a little annoyed if you ask him over and over again about the amounts of thujone in vintage absinthe, but that's all!

1.) If I was you, I would start with Segarra, then go on with Deva and Serpis (and maybe Mari Mayans). But no matter what you start with, if you're interested, you will end up with trying every brand you can get anyways. I can tell you the commercial absinthes differ so much, it's not like one beer and the other or one wine and the other - it's almost like beer compared to wine.
2.) Every Spanish is sweet, some more, some less... some still improve with Sugar (like Segarra or Mari Mayans 55) but they don't need sugar.
3.) For me, effects are there. If you drink absinthe on a regular basis you will get used to them and they vanish. Right now, after I lived on a bottle of Bardouin Pastis for the last week, I had a glass of Serpis and suddenly felt something again. The alcohol feeling vanished a little and gave way to a more "sophisticated" drunkenness. I feel the alcohol, but still I feel more clear. I just feel good, that's what it is.
If you intend to drink one glass but then drink three or four, you will know it's there ;-)
Still I have to say the Bardouin Pastis is very good and gives me a feeling very different from that of beer or wine. I think I'm going to handle it that way from now on: have some good Pastis during the week and only drink Absinthe on the weekends. This way I can appreciate the special effects. When you drink absinthe every day, forget about the effects. But that's just my opinion...
4.) Ted's absinthe will be like Pernod - but not like the Pernod that you can buy at your local supermarket. It will be like 1900 Pernod, completely different - THE original absinthe!
I haven't tried it yet, but, like every one else here, I'm eagerly awaiting it.

Hmm, absinthe feeling makes you write long, long posts. Just found out about that...

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 06:49 pm: Edit

Tavarua, you ignorant slut!

ignoramus

By Zack on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Ordering 2 bottles from SC, gives you a good shipping price, 3 is expensive.

Deva 70, pretty label? Ugh..

By Melinelly on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 05:36 pm: Edit

bah there was something blocking my posts earlier. here's the gist of what i wrote earlier...

morrigan said exactly what came to mind after reading your post, nathanial...

1. ditto. seems the magic numbers to make your order most cost efficient are 3, 5, and 7 (haven't ordered more than that myself) to get the most bang for your buck when shipping is calculated in at SC.

2. ditto. but i find NS and Deva sweeter than Segarra (though for that caramelish flavor rather than plain sugary, Segarra is a smoother sweet). also, try each of whatever you get with and without sugar as you will find that sugar changes the character of the drink, sometimes in a suprisingly pleasant way.

3. ditto. also, take note that each brand of absinthe has a different level/type of secondary effect... personally, the effects of absinthe are not extreme. don't expect anything like an acid trip or even a pot high. it's mild, but noticeable. as some have called it, an "intelligent" or "literary" buzz... something more than an alcoholic wooha =)

4. ditto. no worries over contacts and whatnot. most of us do just fine on SC alone for now and occasionally fall into something better. really all you need are SC (for Spanish) and Betina (for La Bleue or La Fee if you don't have a british contact)... anything beyond that and you're getting into collector/conniseur territory anyhoo. and yes, ted does exist. i have the elusive green phantom with my own eye... and yes, he's as dreamy as reported, although a little too butch for my tastes. i was one of those lucky enough to have made it to the gathering in new orleans this past march, and i sampled four of his ambrosic elixers (and tasted a mighty fine delicacy sent forth with Artemis by the Nephilim as well)... until the Jade finally starts shipping out, and unless you manage to track Ted down on one of his recent traipsings around the globe, you'll have to wait like the rest of us (though not in such temporal agony as those of us whose lips have touched a glass blessed by the Jade fairy)...

cheers,

em

By Verawench on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Nathanial: are you really a headhunter? If so, neato :P

Also, I agree with Morrigan's every word. But should you choose to get Deva from Spirits Corner, I'd recommend the Deva 70. Pretty label, and not as overwhelming taste-wise. My first taste of modern day absinthe was the 50% Deva - it was almost too much to bear for an absinthe virgin.

Regarding the ever enigmatic Question No. 3, my hand would definitely have to go up on that one. Yes, IT is there, for me at least. It's not a needle full of bliss straight into your frontal lobe - but it's very much unlike anything else I've flirted with.

Speaking of that fabulous N.O. meet I missed by what seems like mere DAYS (I joined the forum soon thereafter): any plans for another one?

Vera

By Morriganlefey on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 04:40 pm: Edit

It was a shameless love-fest. And we still carry that smoochyness around today...

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 04:05 pm: Edit

These crazy kids got together a few months ago in New Orleans.

By Admin on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 03:52 pm: Edit

Hey, remember ... we were nice once. Couple months back. Blew everyone away.

Should be the norm instead of the freak accident.

By Admin on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 03:51 pm: Edit

I love you Morrigan.

By Morriganlefey on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 02:37 pm: Edit

Isn't it a wee bit sad that a newcomer has to buffer himself against chonging, flaming, and thrashing?? So I thought I'd just go out on a limb and give him my nice, simple, unqualified, untainted, flame-free advice:

1. Purchase a few (say 2 or 3) bottles from Spirits Corner, set up a nice evening with a few close friends, make it high on the ole' ambiance-scale, and sip, share and compare. I would go with Spanish first as this is your "first time" - spend $70-100 on 2 or 3 bottles to see if you even LIKE it before indulging in a more premium (and expensive) La Bleue. That way you will have something to compare the La Bleue to when you finally do have a taste. Develop your palette slowly.

2. Spanish recommendations - Segarra (the most "caramel" flavor, as you requested), NS, or Deva. Most "thujone potent"? - forget about it. Don't concentrate on that.

3. Secondary effects - it's a very individual experience. Like their favorite absinthe, everyone's opinions differ. You'll have to see for yourself.

4. Yes, resources are rather limited, but I for one rather like it that way. Elusive is good. And yes, Ted exists, and does make absinthe, though not available yet. You'll have to read the posts further to find out more.

Verdant wishes,
- Morrigan

By Tavarua on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 01:47 pm: Edit

Hello all,

This is my first posting at this site. I have been doing a lot of research on Absinthe for the past month and have decided to get a bottle. I have so many questions and figured this would be the place to test them out. As I said, I am a newbie, but after checking out all of the sites, reports, and forums, especially this one, over the past month, I feel that I have become as literate as possible on this topic, without actually having tried the fizzy lifting drinks. I am familiar with everyone at this site, or at least their usernames, so I am expecting to get chonged a little by Bob, flamed by Artemis, and get thrashed with customs scares by Bettina, I mean Mike, I mean Larsbogart. Come on, I’m just playin Betinna, you know I dig you.

1. I really want my first experience to be a memorable one, should I pay three times the amount of a nice Spanish, for a Swiss La Bleue or just start simple and go with Segarra or Deka?
2. If I do go for the Spanish, what would be the best, most thujone potent, that carries more of the caramel flavor, without louching with sugar? I think that I would prefer the sweet to the bitter.
3. Are there actually noticeable “secondary affects”, or is this just due to the over excitability of some individuals.?
4. As of know, I have only spoken with three sources that are able to provide me with Absinthe, only one being domestic. I feel that my resources are much more limited than they have to be. Any suggestions? What is with the constant talk of “Ted” in New Orleans? Does he make actual Absinthe, or is it a Pernod?

Another question I have is meetings. Do you crazy kids ever get together on the East Coast and “compare notes”?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation