London Lunch

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: London Lunch
By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, June 05, 2001 - 10:34 am: Edit

Bigmike,

I'm sure there will be other times. Worth a trip down (or up) the M1.

Hobgoblin

By Bigmike on Monday, June 04, 2001 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Just looked at that picture... I have to say that I thought Ted would be much older. Sorry I couldn't make it to the London Lunch, I wanted to but it fell right in the middle of my exams. Also being a poor student I don't have the money to go galavanting about across the country, I'm too busy saving up to buy more absinthe.

I'd agree with Heiko, that most UK absinthe drinkers only use it to a) look trendy, and b) get smashed out of their heads on. If it wasn't for this site, however, I might well have been one of them. Cheers Kallisti :)

BM

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, June 02, 2001 - 08:39 am: Edit

"The higth presence of Americans here could have something do with the fact that the population in the US is larger than in the UK..."

Another cultural factor is the fact that PC ownership in the USA seems to be the norm and using the internet in the USA is very commonplace. In the UK many people I know don't own a computer, nor have any desire to own one, and those that do, if they bother to go online, tend only to use e-mail to very ocassionaly pass messages to friends or ocassionally use a search engine to look something up.

Despite being invented by a Briton (sorry to disappoint Al Gore) the web is a very American place.

Hobgoblin
(In case you're wondering, the beautiful green louche in our glasses was Absinthe Edouard and it tasted even better than it looks)

By Tomjoad on Friday, June 01, 2001 - 01:51 pm: Edit

Well we've narrowed down the price somewhere between a six pack and $1 million. A few minor details and it's a done deal.
Reminds me of the gentleman who asks a lady if she would sleep with him for $1 million. She says yes. So he asks her if she would for $50. She replies, "What do you think I am"? He says "That's already been established, now we're just dickering on price".

By Wolfgang on Friday, June 01, 2001 - 01:31 pm: Edit

Is your friend in politic ? I will vote for him...but will not accept the six pack offer.

By Tomjoad on Friday, June 01, 2001 - 10:22 am: Edit

I have a Canadian friend who proposes that the U.S. buy Canada by giving each citizen $1 million. With a population of ~30 million it would be a fairly cheap purchase for all the natural resources.

I think we should first try offering a six-pack of Labatt.

By Ekmass on Friday, June 01, 2001 - 10:10 am: Edit

I am proud to say that there are two forumites here in Paris. AND we have get together quite often.

By Wolfgang on Friday, June 01, 2001 - 12:12 am: Edit

>and even Canada, our 51st state! <

Well...why not...If it can give me the buying power of american $... Deva would not cost me 45 can $ but about 30Us$...And as an electronic scientist, I would earn as much $ in us than here and maybe more... (I dont want to think about it...no no no!)

By Verawench on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 10:04 pm: Edit

"I think we have quite a few scattered all over Texas.....and there are some here in Houston too, maybe we need a Houston get together."

I'm all up for it... especially since I've been missing the Austin get-togethers! Austinites, get on board! Anyone bringing La Bleue? ::grins::

By Thegreenimp on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 09:47 pm: Edit

I think we have quite a few scattered all over Texas.....and there are some here in Houston too, maybe we need a Houston get together.

By _Blackjack on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 06:25 pm: Edit

I had a friend in college who grew up on Hawai'i. She never quite got it in her head how big the mainland US was. She just figured, since it was all connected, you could pretty much go wherever you wanted in the country with no effort.

It also took me 4 years to convince her that you ned to wear different clothes in the winter than the summer in New York, and I never got her to stop walking barefoot in Manhatten.

"But it's all been urinated on...recently!"

By Melinelly on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 05:36 pm: Edit

actually, there doesn't really seem to be a NOLA cluster, just Ted :)...

the biggest clusters seem to be SF bay area, Austin TX area, and a couple large regional pockets (which i don't know if you want to count considering we're talking landmasses bigger than some countries heh: northern midwest cluster (MI, IL, IA, etc.), northeastern cluster (NY, PA, MA, etc.)

By _Blackjack on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 04:00 pm: Edit

There are certainly clusters of forumites in San Fransisco and NOLA, but there are plenty of folks all over this great big land of ours, and even Canada, our 51st state!

I, for instance, am within sniping distance of DC. Literally. I'm on the 11th floor of the USA Today building as we speak. I'm too low to clear the trees around Rock Creek from here, but from the roof, I'm pretty sure I could hit people going into the Kennedy Center or by the Exorcist steps, with the right rifle and cooperative winds.

Um, but yeah...er...we're from lots of places...

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 07:07 am: Edit

I thought about an absinthe pub in Bangkok even when this was back in the days when I was thinking of distributing Sebors here -- that is, before Kyle screwed me over AND before I tasted his stuff.

Our main problem about this is simply that we would be spreading ourselves thinner; a pub needs a lot of attention and supervision. As we expect to have our hands full just producing the stuff for export, the pub idea has been back-burnered.

By Heiko on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 06:38 am: Edit

About the US vs UK thing:

Am I right that most of you US absintheurs are either from New Orleans, or from the SF area?
What would that tell us then?

By Heiko on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 05:59 am: Edit

Maybe interest in absinthe is higher in the US because it's illegal? In the UK, so many people have tried Hill's in a bar, then they think it's crap and lose interest...

Absinthedrinker,
I think if you make your bar a place where people who want to drink themselves into oblivion just don't feel well, you'd have a chance. Be a little more expensive than others and you'll get rid of most of the people you don't like. But, ok, maybe then it would become a place for egocentric yuppies and the really cool people would stay out as well... it's not easy I guess... maybe it must be a place not stylish enough for the posers, but too expensive to drink yourself into oblivion.
Just my two cents, I'm not at all in a position to give you advice about that.

By Bjacques on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 05:40 am: Edit

When I was visiting London, I saw at least a half dozen bars that at least stocked Swill's. Point101 at the Tottenham Ct Road bus station carried Mari Mayans (6 quid a shot). Of course, I don't know how many people actually drink it. Two big liquor stores--Vintage and [Tom's?]--on Old Compton St. stock a variety of brands (L50 for Hill's. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!). Obviously there's a market for the stuff.

If you and your partner think you've half a chance running a bar, then by all means open one. Carry good absinthe (at non-trendy prices) but don't depend solely on the absinthe market.

The Absinthe bar here in Amsterdam (on Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal) closed last month, but apprently that was due to landlord problems (probably higher rent), not lack of interest. It was a nice Gaudi'-esque DJ bar and it did steady business, mostly the happy-hour and pre-clubbing crowds. The (non-wormwood) Absinthe was ok, but I'm spoiled for inexpensive booze. 8 guilders a glass was a bit much.

If I ever move to London, I hope to see your new bar.

Good luck!

By Dengar on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 05:38 am: Edit

The higth presence of Americans here could have something do with the fact that the population in the US is larger than in the UK...

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 03:18 am: Edit

Yeah, I agree with you Marc and if it was just my arse on the line I wouldn't hesitate, but there is a business partner involved and I'd hate to drag her into something she doesn't fully understand and damage her existing business.

By Marc on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 02:41 am: Edit

absinthedrinker,

you can find a million reasons not to pursue your dream of opening an absinthe bar. Go ahead, argue yourself out of realizing the dream. Congratulations, you're like everybody else. The real innovators, artists and entrepeneurs are the ones who take the chances, who are unreasonable and reckless. Go for it brother. If you do it with heart and passion, people will feel it...and they will come.

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 02:35 am: Edit

That's a good question Vera, and it brings into question the actual levels of interest in absinthe in the UK . Only four or five people from the UK post here, myself included and I guess 10 to 20 times as many post from the US. When I look at the stats from my Absinthe Originals web site around 80% of hits come from the US and only 6% from the UK - as some UK domains will be .com I guess that this figure is a little on the low side. When I look at actual sales of absinthe items, again around 80% go to the US and none of my UK buyers are regular posters here. So if 25 to 30 people travel to NO for a meeting I guess you would expect just a few more than 2 to get to London. Maybe it is just the traditional reserve of brits who don't like social events and don't like to travel to get to them.

So why the apparent lack of interest in a country where the drink is legal? Time and time again people that I speak to in the UK trade tell me that the perception of absinthe in the UK is of a drink to get out of your head on, and is usually drunk as a shooter. For this reason absinthe is not stocked in many bars in London. Such drinkers probably do not spend much time on this forum.

All this is of more than academic interest to me as I am in the final stages of deciding whether to open an absinthe bar in central London. I like to think that I could educate people to drink absinthe properly, but whilst most bar professionals think my idea worthy of respect, they think I am crazy to contemplate it. I fear that my dream of a bohemian bar with people getting pleasantly mellow would sucumb to a reality of late night calls to the emergency services to carry away unconscious drunks before they choke on their own vomit.

By Verawench on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 06:00 pm: Edit

Um.. how many forum people ARE there in the UK?

By Marc on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 04:56 pm: Edit

Yeah, and 80 folks made it to the New York City tasting. With the exception of lordhobgoblin and Andy, it looks like the Brit absintheurs are absenteurs. Damn poseurs.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 10:49 am: Edit

Well, that's the difference between thge US and UK components of the Forum I guess, binky old stick.

25-30 forumites could et aside their difference and cross vast distances to gather in New Orleans and have a bona fide love feast, but not more than 1 (2?) UK forumites could bother to get their asses out of their chairs and cross town.

Cheers to those who did.

UK may be the 'biggest absinthe market' but it obviously isn't the serious absinthe market.

So cling to your Swills.

By Marc on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 01:38 am: Edit

The dude in the middle. What's with that? I thought Michael Hutchence was dead.

By Binky on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 01:28 am: Edit

Aw shucks, makes me all upset I couldn't make it...

[sniff]

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Here's a pic of the London 'Absinthe 3' after a few drinks and a 'power lunch'. This includes (from left to right), Ted, Andy the Impressionist, and Lordhobgoblin.

http://personal.msy.bellsouth.net/msy/t/a/tabreaux/Pics/Absinthe3.jpg

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation