Canada Customs?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Canada Customs?
By _Blackjack on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 03:48 pm: Edit

Well, I certainly would prefer my taxes be spent on something more productive than our bloated standing military force not to mention the War on (some) Drugs. So to some extent, I agree. However, I wouldn't mind at all paying the level of tax I pay now if the money was diverted to health care or education.

Oh, sorry, we have to watch out for those Rogue States...ooh scary!

By Wolfgang on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 08:55 am: Edit

They carry Hill's because it doesn't contain thujone at all (or almost none). I read in ''L'Actualite'' that SAQ in Quebec will eventually sell absinthe if it doesn't contain more than 2 ppm of thujone... Let`s call it pastis at best or Hill's at worst...

When I sent an email to the public relation dept. of SAQ asking if I could place a special order for some Spanish absinthes with them, I never got any reply about that. They only replied to one part of my email concerning Versinthe and apparently just sent the absinthe questions in the ''black box''...

Wolf.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 08:54 am: Edit

They carry Hill's because it doesn't contain thujone at all (or almost none). I read in ''L'Actualit? that SAQ in Quebec will eventually sell absinthe if it doesn't contain more than 2 ppm of thujone... Let`s call it pastis at best or Hill's at worst...

When I sent an email to the public relation dept. of SAQ asking if I could place a special order for some Spanish absinthes with them, I never got any reply about that. They only replied to one part of my email concerning Versinthe and apparently just sent the absinthe questions in the ''black box''...

Wolf.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 07:18 pm: Edit

I didn't like taxes when Uncle S. was protecting us from the Big Bad Bear, so how do you figure I feel about them when all he is guarding is from are the Cubans, the Serbians, the North Koreans, and the Laotians?

There are only 6 countried in the world that the US doesn't have normal trade relations (what used to be called Most Favored Nation status).

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 04:25 pm: Edit

Remember, the BATF is part of the TREASURY dept. The whole Waco debacle was not because the Davidians' weapons were illegal, but because they had failed to pay all the TAXES on them.

I don't mind paying taxes. I just wih they'd ask more nicely.

PS: I just got notification that Arlington County is placing a lein on my bank account for a $70 parking ticket from 1999 that I never got. Mind you, this is the FIRST I've heard of it. I didn't get a ticket. I didn't get notification in the mail that I'd gotten a ticket. I didn't get notification that the ticket was overdue. Two years later, BOOM, they're putting a lein on my assets. They could have ASKED first...

"Swing to the left and swing to the right,
The excise man will dance all night..."

By Btyre on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 12:44 pm: Edit

B.C. has actually legalized absinthe, and yes I can get it in the government-run specialty liquor stores. However, only Hill's is carried, and after careful research, why would I buy it?

As for importation, Canada Post regulations state that mailing of liquor is illegal, period. Unless, of course, one of the parties is the Liquor Board and the other is the manufacturer.

Brett.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 11:38 am: Edit

Bob, while I agree with your distaste for taxation, I must comment that I'd prefer taxtation by polite Canadian Mounties and bureaucrats to taxation by heavy handed assholes on the other side of the border who like to kick in doors in the night with all the SWAT accoutrements at hand and God help anyone who questions their right to kick in their door or doesn't realize that they are the Feds fast enough...

This is only about MONEY but the governments treat it like treason. And they have since the Whiskey Rebellions when Washington was the Pres., not to mention the struggles between the 'excisemen' and the people of the British Isles. Remember Disney's 'The Scarecrow'?

And their counterparts in Europe.

A.E.Van Vogt used to say "The right to own weapons is the right to be free." and he was right on. But I say, "The right to make liquor is the right to be free, too."

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 11:35 am: Edit

Quote:

That's one of the drawbacks to living in a country where taxes are as much a way of life as breathing.

Oh, Bob, you're so cute...

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 11:06 am: Edit

I ordered from SC to Montreal (Quebec) without any problem. As Bob said, limit your order to reasonable quantity and everything should be fine (I usualy order 5 bottles at a time).

In fact I don't think absinthe importation is a problem...Alcohol may be the trouble.

Wolf.

By Morriganlefey on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 09:52 am: Edit

I somehow recall a thread here on the Forum not too long ago (and some TV & net news stories) mentioning BC as the only Canadian province to legalize absinthe. Done fairly recently (past 3-4 months) I believe. If that is true, I don't imagine you'd have any troubles at all (unless they are importation/taxation fees). You may soon even be able to buy it at your local liquor store.

Or maybe it was all just a pleasant dream...

-M

By Bob_Chong on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 05:23 am: Edit

I'm not Canadian, but there are a couple of regular posters who are. Since they haven't chimed in yet, I can tell you what they've said in the past: no problems at all.

Of course, the regular caveats apply, e.g., don't try importing pallets of the stuff.

Worst case scenario, I'd imagine you'd get a tax bill. That's one of the drawbacks to living in a country where taxes are as much a way of life as breathing.

BC

By Btyre on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 08:38 pm: Edit

Hello everyone,

Just made my first order with Spirits Corner and I'm expecting it in a few days.

I live in Canada -more specifically British Columbia. Has anyone had any problems with Canada Customs and orders from SC?

Thanks,
Brett.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation