Anyone tried Manguin?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Anyone tried Manguin?
By Rimbaud on Monday, June 04, 2001 - 02:40 pm: Edit

Hey! This forum's not big enough for more than one Rimbaud...

~21st Century Rimbaud
(Forum member since 1998)

By Mr_Rabbit on Saturday, June 02, 2001 - 10:01 am: Edit

Well hell. Make it a bit faster and use it to keep warm in the winter ;-)

By _Blackjack on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 02:18 pm: Edit

I just realized it's only 11, including the one in the power supply. I've got 1 80mm intake in the front and 2 80mm exhausts in the back, in addition to the power supply fan. I've also got two drive-bay coolers with 3 30mm fans each. There is a 60mm fan on the CPU.

Is it excessive? Maybe. The system runs pretty cool. The main reason for the excess is that I have a lot of hard drives in the system. I really need to get some rounded cables. My IDE cables are the only major airflow obstuction.

The CPU is a Athon 750 OC'ed to 1.05 Ghz. It runs stable at around 33°C most of the time, except when I'm regording mpeg2 direct to the drive array (it hit's 60°C sometimes, but never crashes) or, for some reason, when I run MS Money. Water cooling probably wouldn't gain me much more speed, at this point. You don't see many 750's that will clock stable past 1.1 gig. I could probably get a better heatsync and chip fan and keep it down under 50°C all the time, but it doesn't crash, so I'm not too worried. I'm probably shortening the chip's life, but I've never kept a motherboard more than a year and a half anyway.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 09:03 am: Edit

My computer have so much fans I can sit on it and fly around... I even had to put it in a bird cage!

blablabla ;-)

By Heiko on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 06:35 pm: Edit

...depends on how these fans are set up. You can use more fans but connect them to 7V instead of 12V - that way you'll get enough airstream with less noise.

I have one 6cm fan that is so strong, it's noisier than 3 normal 8cm fans combined.
This really is a science on its own...

btw. I usually turn my computer off when I go to sleep and I have never tried Manguin as well ;-)

By Cheese on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 05:32 pm: Edit

I'd have to say if you've reached twelve fans in your system you're going a bit overboard. Move on to water cooling or mess with peltiers or something. Air cooling is only going to do so much. I'd hate to have that 12 fan box anywhere near where i slept.

And to keep on topic, I've unfortunately never tasted Manguin. But twelve fans it too many.

By Heiko on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 04:50 pm: Edit

12 fans - you can easily reach that. The 6 in my case are extremely few for an Athlon system (I use an epac midi tower - that thing is specially designed for less fans & low noise). Athlons produce 75 to 80 Watts of heating power, fast harddrives get hot like hell the same as overclocked g-force cards, not to speak of a 350 to 500 Watts power supply...

By Mr_Rabbit on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 04:32 pm: Edit

12? Are you powering your system with coal?

By Heiko on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 04:30 pm: Edit

that was what I thought when I was drunk. But, after some optimizing I only use 5 fans (6 if you count that little thingy on the graphics adapter) and I can proudly say it's a 1GHz Athlon with FSB overclocked to 104 but the CPU never exceeds 45°C. The noise is pretty acceptable - this is important as the system runs 16 to 18 hours a day and I use it for everything: music, tv and all the other unnecessary stuff like Seti@home ;-)

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Hey, you can't have too many fans. I have 12 on my system...

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 04:13 pm: Edit

I have a friend who ended up having to get a Triumph shipped from Australia because he went eBay-ing drunk...

By Heiko on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 12:53 pm: Edit

Never order when drunk... I have once also received some stuff I neither wanted nor needed. I couldn't even remember having ordered it...

Before you start speculating what strange stuff it might have been: it was fans for computer cases, a whole collection of fans in every available size from 4cm to 12cm. High powered quality stuff, not cheap - damnit!

By Eleusis on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 12:41 pm: Edit

It has a very medicinal smell to it, like vicks, my younger brother stated. Cough syrup to me.
It is extremely sweet, sticky sweet. The taste is alcohol at first, then a hint of bitter, then the sweetness overwelms the mouth. It even taste like cough syrup. There is the stinging sensation on the tounge albit very weak, but there is no numbness I aquaint with absinthe when I hit it neat.
I ordered this on accident when I wasn't paying attention to my S.C. order. So this stuff arrived in my last order.
We tried it just now and We don't like it. The people I associate with here didn't like it.
So far Segarra, Deva, and Mari 70, are the favored sensations here.

eleusis

By Heiko on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Sorry, it wasn't Ted, it was Absinthesque who posted the review!

By Heiko on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Try the keyword search - Ted has posted a good review recently.

By Rimbaudsghost on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 09:57 am: Edit

I was just curious if anyone has tried Manguin? I believe it's French. I got a bottle from SC. I think it's pretty good. A little sweet but good. Thoughts & comments?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation