Absenta in Germany

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Absenta in Germany
By tabreaux on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Peychaud's Bitters comes from right here in New Orleans, and was originated by a French apothecary here quite a long time ago. He spiked brandy with his bitters, and this became a local hit. The original Sazerac cocktail used Sazerac brandy, which was imported from France. Adding absinthe and a dash of Angostura bitters made a popular 'cure-all'. Rye whisky was substituted only when Sazerac brandy became unavailable. Email me your address, and I'll send you a bottle of Peychaud's.

By JoergGrohne on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Hi,

sitting here and drinking Sazerac's Absinthe Cocktail, i found a german shop which sells Absenta.

A bottle of 1L costs DEM 58,80 (=~30 US$). I don't know if they send their products to foreign countries, but it looks much cheaper than the $55 in the buyer's guide ;-)
URL: www.craigs.de
originally a tequila shop.

They too gave me information about the question if absinthe is illegal in germany. It is not, because the European Union has released a law about the amount of tujone in food and germany like all other EU countries has changed in 1998 their national laws.

btw: could please somebody tell me what Peychaud's Bitter is and where i can buy it?

Jörg

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation