Archive through June 14, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:La Bleue nor available from Belle Epoch Importers:Archive through June 14, 2000
By SeaRobin on Wednesday, June 14, 2000 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Morrigan

Kallisti would look great in anything....especially green fairy dust.

I've been to the website.
I've seen the pics.
I know true beauty when I see it.

SeaRobin

By Morrigan Le Fey on Wednesday, June 14, 2000 - 10:24 pm: Edit

(pauses a moment..) Now if Kallisti signed the post below "Cranky Kallisti"...and then in the one above it sprinkled green pixie dust on "all cranky users"..would she not be sprinkling green dust all over HERSELF??!! (Why not - green sparkles would look smashing in red hair!)

*sips some green goodness & goes off giggling*

Think not my post a waste of space, a humor break is always in good taste...

-Morrigan

By JKK on Wednesday, June 14, 2000 - 06:15 pm: Edit

I avoided posting this because I thought it would sound pedantic correcting someone's French; (actually, there are plenty of mistakes in ENGLISH in these messages--from the native speakers.) The Frenchman has mentioned it below, so if his message gets deleted, one can still bear this in mind: it's LA BLANCHE, not LA BLANC. We all make mistakes. I myself know nothing of chemistry.

By Admin on Tuesday, June 13, 2000 - 06:19 pm: Edit

{frolic}
Kallisti skips through forum sprinkling green pixie dust across all cranky users singing "You suck! You suck! You suck!" and scampers back under the decoratively manicured hedges.

By Admin on Tuesday, June 13, 2000 - 02:14 pm: Edit

This always happens when I'm not looking. What should I do?

Should I skip through here like the good green fairy, waiving my magic wand and demand we all be good little absinthe addicts, to NOT air our presumptions, agendas AND smear compaigns in a public forum in such a way as to make its readers nauseous?

Or should I just delete relevent threads?

I lean towards the former, but think the latter would actually be much more effective.

I tried ignoring it, hoping it would die away, but it never does. I have heard nothing by gushing praises from the customers of BOTH Betina & Belle Epoch. If you have a question that needs to be clarified about a post, ASK IT, ferchrissakes. Everything else should be handled OFF LINE.

- cranky Kallisti -

"You disappointed me too, Daddy."
-- Jennifer Grey in "Dirty Dancing"

By French-Guy on Tuesday, June 13, 2000 - 01:40 pm: Edit

First of All the name in French is "La Blanche". The French Absinthe is coming usually from the Pontarlier area and not the French Jura. Secondly, the percentage of thujone is too higher to drink, if you try the real Absinthe you will never find even in bootledge with a percentage like that. He try to cheat with everybody. In France the law with Absinthe is very strict and I don't think so somebody even a very old farmer will be making for so less price an Absinthe. Another point, the packaging and shipping usually from France to USA, cost very high ! The price is annuncing is foolish ! In conclusion his absinthe smell bullish and Everybody has to be careful about this Absinthe ! Fake ! Fake ! Fake !

By hippy on Monday, June 12, 2000 - 07:20 pm: Edit

Justin,

I hope your La Bleue is better than your spelling.

By Chrysippvs on Monday, June 12, 2000 - 07:03 pm: Edit

Yes I have tasted it, but my tastes are very different than many of those of many of the Spainish brands. Matter of fact the only brand of the Spainish I like is Segarra. I do like Betina's La Bleue and this one as well...this one is a bit more stout but equally smooth. The rest of which I like is absinthe prepared from other less commerical sources.

So I am sure most people's taste will reflect different than mine.

By hippy on Monday, June 12, 2000 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Justin,

Have you not tasted it?

By c on Monday, June 12, 2000 - 04:35 pm: Edit

The basis of these numbers were that I was told them as they were tested in Auvers. I think he is telling the truth. And we will see in a few days if the Bleue is comprable to Betina as they were all shipped out today (atleast the first set of 7 bottles). I hope it is as good, I am sure it will be.

By hippy on Monday, June 12, 2000 - 04:23 pm: Edit

"Like I said the absinthe I have was made by a gentleman who tested the product quite some time ago...I have no reason to be cynical of this gentleman...I am only repeating what I was told".

Well, I am cynical. This all seems very suspect to me. The more that Belle Epoch is questioned on this product, the more he starts to back away from his claims that this product contains
60% alcohol and 60 mg. thujone. Of course, he does admit
that these numbers are not "gospel" until checked in a lab. If that's the case Justin, stop posting the numbers until you know what they really are.
You are being deceptive, no matter how innocent you try to make it appear. The truth is in the details.

By arturo ui on Monday, June 12, 2000 - 03:31 pm: Edit

Again with the "oy vey".
Y'know, for as long as I can remember, YOU have been the only one calling yourself Shylock.
And Hippy, though strident, makes a good point. The best thing I'll say about your early auctions is that they were always entertaining.
-Art

By Chrysippvs on Monday, June 12, 2000 - 12:34 pm: Edit

"Cutthroat methods"...oy vey am I Shylock now?

Like I said before..the absinthe I have was made by a gentleman who tested the product quite some time ago in Auvers in France. I have no reason to be cynical of this gentleman and I think he is being upfront with me. All I can say is, I am only repeating what I was told. I am not a chemist nor do I have access to the equipment to test such a thing. All I have to go on is what I am told.

I am just trying to put some new items on the market for those interested at a more affordable rate although I only have a few bottles (I originally thought it was more so I will be cutting reservations soon because he is also selling some to a friend of his in Cordova) So it is a limited thing. Sorry to cause so many waves.

Take care guys and have fun...

J

By hippy on Monday, June 12, 2000 - 11:17 am: Edit

My post got mangled. Let me try again:

I too would embrace a new and less expensive La Bleue. In fact, one was offered awhile back, but several posters were up in arms because the person offering it was using pilfered graphics on his website. To which I thought, big deal, most of the graphics on the absinthe websites I've seen are from other sources. This person's botlegging of graphics may have been dicey, but his product was not.

Again, my problem with Belle Epoch is: Justin, in an effort to move product, has made claims that I don't think he can authenticate. Of course, so what else is new. From messages I've read here,
posted by folks far more knowledgeable than me, it seems that the thujone content in absinthe is
highly speculative. And given that the thujone content of absinthe is a selling point, I think
accuracy is very important. If Justin's numbers are exact, than I apologize. But, first let's see some documentation. It's about time some of these claims (across the board) were backed up with facts. Using trumped up numbers to sell a product is dishonest.

Belle Epoch has a history of being very competitive. There have been complaints in the past about the company's cutthroat methods. While I understand his capitalist zeal, I think his lack of sensitivity to other merchants linked to this site is unfortunate. And despite what others may think, my tie to Bettina is one of friendship and patronage. I am not her partner in any way.

The absinthe forum should be the one place where absinthe information is accurate and not biased by
commercial concerns. As I've stated earlier, the emphasis on commerce in this forum could ultimately be it's downfall. I hope not. Time will tell.

Peace, Marc

By hippy on Monday, June 12, 2000 - 10:59 am: Edit

I too would embrace a new and less expensive La Bleue, in fact there was one offered in the forum awhile back, but several posters were up in arms
because the person offering it was using pilfered graphics on his website. To which I thought, big deal. Most of the graphics on the absinthe websites I've seen, are taken from other sources.
This person's bootlegging of graphics may have been dicey, but his product was not.

Again, my problem with Belle Epoch is that Justin, in an effort to move product, has made claims that I don't think he can authenticate.
This problem is not his alone. From what I can gather, from the messages posted here by folks in absinthe is highly speculative. Thusly, I more knowledgeable than me, the thujone content don't think it is ethical to promote a product using trumped up numbers. If Justin's numbers are exact, than I apologize.

Belle Epoch has a history of being very competitive. There have been complaints in the past regarding his cutthroat methods. While I appreciate his capitalist zeal, I think his lack of sensitivity to other merchants that are linked to this sight unfortunate. Despite what others may think, my tie to Bettina is one of friendship. I am also a customer of hers, not a partner.

The absinthe forum should be the one place where accurate information about absinthe is available.
Honesty is often sacrificed in rsh to make a buck. As I've stated earlier, the emphasis on commerce in this forum could ultimately be it's downfall. Time will tell.

Peace, Marc

By Dr George Nichopolous on Monday, June 12, 2000 - 12:40 am: Edit

I don't get the venom being spewed on both sides.

If the belle epoch is bogus, hopefully a number
of people will go to the trouble of trying it and
relay honest opinions to this forum.

What becomes creepy to me are the myriad of
lightning quick rebuttals of a product that no-one
has yet sampled. Vested interests, or what is
going on?

From my experience there is no doubt Betina is
straightforward and honest, her brew supreme. But
however unlikely it may seem, it is possible there
is another tasty absinthe out there. This, one
would think, would be postive news.

If the epoch turns out to be moosepiss then let
one who has at least tried it say so. There seems
to be some politics, slander, and unstated biases
running through this specific thread. Some of you
have clear apprehensions about certain names
attached to epoch. You may be right, you may know
something others do not, and if it IS a ruse, it
will be soon exposed.

What cha say?

By hippymc on Sunday, June 11, 2000 - 10:45 am: Edit

Belle Epoch

is making claims regarding thujone and alcohol content in a product that he admits hasn't really been tested. In his zeal to sell a product, that he currently doesn't even possess, I think Mr. Epoch is twisting the facts to his own whims.

I am guilty of making ill-informed comments myself. My mean-spirited slam at Mr. Breaux
was stupid. Though, it does appear that Mr. Epoch is using Ted to promote his products.

By ViveLaFeeVerte on Sunday, June 11, 2000 - 08:42 am: Edit

I have done business with Justin and have found my pleasant dealings with him to be nothing but honest, high-quality transactions of business. Why not give him a chance with this new product (which I, BTW, am looking forward to tasting...and purchasing) It takes entrepreneurs like Chrysippvs who have the balls to go out and develop such new sources to give us the kind of absinthe variety we crave - I for one do not intend to drink Deva and Mari Mayans my whole life. Bravo, Justin! The bug up Hippy's ass seems to have made it's way to his brain-stem.

By hippymc on Sunday, June 11, 2000 - 01:47 am: Edit

This kid Justin is the proverbial loaded pistol.
His claims, boasts etc...are exactly what the absinthe scene doesn't need. There's nothing worse than ill-informed dilletantes with the power of a public forum. I get the impression that Belle Epoch Importers is unknowingly funded by Justin's wealthy parents. Oh, if they only knew what their child was doing on his computer out in the garage.
And what are those bottles of green liquid.

If the govermental whip is going to be cracked, it will be because of hot doggers like chrysppvs.

Ted Breaux, why the fuck are you allowing this kid
to use your name in legitimizing his hustle?
Is his parents money bankrolling your next project?

By chrysippvs on Saturday, June 10, 2000 - 07:43 am: Edit

I got banned from E-bay because some vindictive individual filed false claims against me...which are being investigated. As far as the La Bleue. Then gentleman I am working with is a French farmer who has been making La Bleue for around 40 years and has reliable ways to measure the thujone amounts and the alcohol concentration quite accuratly. I have sent a sample to Mr. Breaux, who is a good friend of mine, for testing and know that it will stand up. I also only have a limited supply.....then something new.

Also bear in mind that the area from which I am getting this absinthe is about 3 kilometers from the Swiss border. The lait du Jura can come from either side of the border, it is simply more tolerated on the Swiss side.

I will be sending out test samples next week as well for reviews amomg the more seasoned absinteurs here.

Merci
Justin

By archangel on Saturday, June 10, 2000 - 01:33 am: Edit

Wasn't this guy from Belle Epoch banned from E-bay
and where does he get his #'s?

Mike
archangel

By Grizlupo on Friday, June 09, 2000 - 08:11 pm: Edit

I am intrigued by this latest entry onto the scene.

Nevertheless, I could not help but to notice the 60 mg Thujone mentioned at
the site, as this is 600% of the EU maximum, (i.e. equivalent to quaffing 6+
Deva's) I am curious what experience others have had with this product. Also,
does anyone know if this figure is a solid lab measurement or a "guess-timate"?

Second, the product is described as being French (France, of course, having a
rich absinthe tradition), but is called Le Bleue. I understood (from Conrad and
others) that "Le Bleue" implies Swiss absinthe (which, of course, has its own
rich traditon).

The bottom line is that every new La Fee Verte presents a new opportunity,
and this is good. Still, I am curious to hear other's observations about this new
"Le Bleue," given the high expectation we all have come to have for "Le Bleue's"
in general.

Cordially,

Grizlupo

By pikklish on Thursday, June 08, 2000 - 07:03 pm: Edit

Does anyone have any experience with this brand? I've had the Swiss... could it compare?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation