Archive through June 15, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Sad Days:Archive through June 15, 2000
By Wormnutz on Thursday, June 15, 2000 - 09:25 pm: Edit

I don't have to be hit by a car to know that I do not like it!

By Dean on Wednesday, June 14, 2000 - 09:43 pm: Edit

My point was about flamers. It was not about people who want to make money by selling absinthe.

Some people who sell absinthe flame. Some people who never sold absinthe flame.

I LIKE TO hunt for absinthe in Europe shop by shop. But I know that other people do not have the interest to do that. I
am glad that others can now buy absinthe without having to go to Europe.

But what is NOT needed are flamers, who in the NAME OF TRUTH, speak about products they have never tasted.

Also, of course, we do not need commerce flames.

Few were here when the list went down for months (Kallisti, I never found out why it was down for so long. What
happened?). Though it was down, I used to come back to the site in the hopes that it would be up and active. The new
list, after the list came back, WAS GREAT. It changed. I dropped off this list when the flames got hot. I am just back
and I see that little has changed. That is what is so sad.

Two years ago, list members who had never been to Europe, would have been happy for a bottle of Hills. Now people
yell, crit. spelling, and whine in the name of Truth, Justice, and the American way.

Crit an absinthe when it is bad (like Hills), say what you have tried and do not like (I do not like ANY Czech absinth), but please lets not speak about absinthe we have never had.

If I get the sample of absinthe, I will post an honest review. Since I have tasted most of the absinthe out there, I do not
have to keep the people who supply me happy (since I have yet to buy absinthe by mail), and I do not know anyone, I
trust my review will not be flamed.

If I like the sample, I will vote with my $

Also, wish me luck and happy hunting in CH

By van gogh on Wednesday, June 14, 2000 - 02:00 pm: Edit

Alas, hippy, I share your concern also. It seems as though absinthe is now the "cool" thing to do, since it is so hard to come by, and its reputation is so...disreputable! I too had visions of some irresponsible kid getting a hold of the stuff. They had a show about that on the CBS news last week, about how easy it was for teenagers to get booze off the net...yuk.

By SeaRobin on Wednesday, June 14, 2000 - 12:27 pm: Edit

I donít think all is lost as far as the forum is concerned. Granted, I have only
been active on this forum for a few months, but I have been able to gather
some very good information from the posts here.

There are obvious posts from people selling absinthe via the net here, but if
one reads them honestly it is easy to figure out which posts are commercials
and which are from honest absinthe drinkers wishing to share information.
Unfortunately, the commercials are what we must endure due to the fact
that absinthe drinkers, especially those in the US, are few and far between
and the importers are all trying to get their share of a very small market.
They are coming to us so we will go to them. This is normal on a forum that
is un-moderated and open to posting from everyone.

Personally, I would rather see the forum stay open to everyone. I can tell
the advertisements from the first sentence in most cases and I take what
they say with a grain of salt. As for a minor using this forum to hook up
with an importer/exporter and the fed coming down hard on the forum, I feel
we should do everything we can to try and prevent this. However, most kids
are still trying to get cheep beer from their local convenience store. I canít
help but feel that 99.9 percent of teenagers have never even heard of
absinthe and wouldnít go the trouble, or expense of getting it. Lets face it,
most kids donít have the money or the time required to purchase absinthe.
To a teenager, a $3.25 six pack of cheep beer does the same job as a
$33 - $225 bottle of absinthe and they can get it right now instead of waiting
12 days to 4 weeks for an order to come in. However, the possibility exists
and should be taken into consideration to protect all the importer/exporters
and especially Kallisti.

SeaRobin

By hippy on Monday, June 12, 2000 - 10:09 pm: Edit

Dean

I understand your concern, but if the Absinthe Forum is going to continue to be a place of commerce, which I think is a mistake,
there should be some standards regarding claims made for products promoted here. I understand that this is difficult with bootleg merchandise, there is nobody monitoring it but the seller.
My posts are not "flames". I am genuinely concerned with the misinformation propagated in this forum. There used to be a few seasoned absinthe afficianadoes that posted regularly here, they seem to have grown silent. Perhaps they are alienated by the tone of these posts, including my own. The increasing focus on selling and buying through this forum concerns me. I think some discretion is in order. My biggest concern is that some underage kid is going to purchase some absinthe through this forum and end up getting in some serious trouble. The media will then demonize the Green Fairy in ways you can hardly imagine. The internet and free speach is under assault by the powers that be. The only way to keep the feds off our backs is to not be flagrant in our disregard for certain laws pertaining to absinthe. Or underage drinking.
Some of the posts in this forum seem to be written by teenagers. I hope that's not the case.

Am I getting too paranoid and uptight in my old age?

By dean on Monday, June 12, 2000 - 09:44 pm: Edit

I first came to the list was in March of 98. In Sept of 98 I bought an absinthe spoon from ebay.

I have never bought absinthe by mail (I have only bought absinthe on the ground in Spain, London, and the Czech Rep). I am going to Ch to buy my own swiss absinthe.

I once traded a bottle with a respected non-businessman on the list from 98.

I got on a freebie list and I will publish an honest review when I get the freebie. I have no connection whatever with this person.

Back in 98, this was the non-flame list. It would be nice if it were that way again.

It is sad that a list about what we all love has turned into a mess. Let's wait and see with an open mind. Please.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation