Archive through June 16, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Absinthe Storage & Serving Inquiry:Archive through June 16, 2000
By tabreaux on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Whether the bottle is opened or closed, the oxidation of chlorophyll is catalyzed by light, and this is an irreversible step. Also, the stability of chlorophyll is affected by the spirit strength, whereby as the strength is improved, oxidation is retarded. Don't believe me? Simply take two identical samples of alcohol made green by steeping with any chlorophyllic herb, store one in clear glass in the presence of light, and the other in colored glass. All you need is about 2 days to come to the obvious conclusion. I discovered this about 7 years ago, so this is nothing new. In contrast, the contents of an opened, but re-sealed bottle (1/2 full) of 100 year-old Eduoard Pernod were nicely preserved. Of course, once again, being that commercial products seem to all be artificially colored, this doesn't apply.

By grizlupo on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 05:16 pm: Edit

Hmmm, I am not sure that bottle color would affect oxidation. Once the bottle is opened and the contents are exposed to oxygen, they are vulnerable.

I understand that the reason the beer bottles are traditionally made of brown glass, as opposed to green or clear, is that UV light reacts with certain chemicals in the hops to create that "Skunky" smell and taste too many of us have experienced after opening a potentially promissing bottle of European beer (Yes, in fact Heineken is NOT supposed to taste like that; it is not just you ). Beers like Miller and Corona which come in clear bottles have removed the potentially offending hop constituent components before bottling.

There may be other chemicals in your La Fee Verte which could react with UV rays. So, keeping your bottles in a cabinet away from the sun, or storing it an covered decanter is, at the least, prudent.

Now, everything is clear as mud? ;-)

Cordially,

Grizlupo

By tabreaux on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 03:47 pm: Edit

If the liqueur has anything close to the traditional anise content, it will louche well, even with room temperature water. Sebor is not especially traditional in nature, which is why it doesn't louche.

As for storage, classic absinthe was bottled in dark green glass to prevent oxidation of the color. Since just about all modern absinthe is colored artificially, this is a moot point. A genuine product should be stored away from light or excessive heat. As for some of these modern flavored embalming fluids called "absinth" it doesn't matter where you put it.

By Bigmike on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 01:44 pm: Edit

From my basic knowledge of louching and A-level chemistry, as far as I know serving absinth cold does help. In fact the only way I got sebor to even slighly louche was be serving it straight from the freezer.

I almost explained why absinthe louches, but I'm about to conduct an important experiment, and I can't be bothered. I might post an explaination if no one else does... we'll see.

BM

By Morrigan Le Fey on Thursday, June 15, 2000 - 10:01 pm: Edit

A question about storage, since I haven't been able to find any definitive answers on this yet - What is the prefered storage method for absinthe? I currently have a bottle in the 'fridge & one in the liquor cabinet, & wonder which is preferable? Does cold storage affect the life of the absinthe (or is the fee verte eternal?!)

Secondly, does serving temperature (of the absinthe itself) significantly affect the louching? It is my preference to drink it nice & chilled, in the traditional french style with dripped ice water, but wonder if I am missing out on a "perfect louche" by serving the absinthe icy cold?

Merci in advance for your suggestions!

- Morrigan

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation