Back from Boveresse

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Back from Boveresse
By Frenchman on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 11:25 am: Edit

She came only for my spoons Ian, what did you imagine ????

Did she try to have discount prices by you ??

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 02:22 am: Edit

A little late but here is another picture from Boveresse. Phil appears a little concerned at the interest Ian's new friend is showing in him.

green fairy

By Timk on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 04:19 am: Edit

Nice auction, but the one i was talking of was a bottle of Pernod Fils Extrait D'Absinthe from Pernod Tarragona hidden in a Lot of Spanish miniatures - strange that I cant find the auction : - )

By Morriganlefey on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 03:58 pm: Edit

Tim - This Pernod mini expired on Ebay yesterday (I contemplated bidding for kicks, but decided to save me' pennies.) This isn't the one you referred to is it - I don't think it's Tarragona:

Oh, and unless I'm mistaken, looks like Jay (GreenImp) beat me out on a cute lil mini of vintage (but post-ban) Herbsaint:

Your source for obscure and strange Ebay finds,

By Timk on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 11:45 am: Edit

A bottle of Pernod Tarragona just recently went in a lot of miniatures on e-bay - just listed as a pernod miniature - I didnt bother to bid, but did anyone keep a note of the auction as i cant seem to find it

By the way - My pernod Tarragona Miniature looks a bit later than 1936 - are we certain this is when they ceased production?

By Timk on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 11:40 am: Edit

A bottle of Pernod Tarragona just recently went in a lot of miniatures on e-bay - just listed as a pernod miniature - I didnt bother to bid, but did anyone keep a note of the auction as i cant seem to find it

By the way - My pernod Tarragona Miniature looks a bit later than 1936 - are we certain this is when they ceased production?

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 07:04 am: Edit

The first thing I smell when I stick my nose in Pontarlier Anis is anise.

By Germanandy on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 06:34 am: Edit

ted, i guess you are right.
but what is that smell i realized in the veritas and in your absinthe?
i mean the sweet smell that is also in the pontarlier anis, the first thing you smell when opening the bottle.

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 06:29 am: Edit

I am pretty certain that the liquor in that bottle is not absinthe, but is a different product. Also, the labeling does not match the Pernod Tarragona absinthe labeling.

By Germanandy on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 04:53 am: Edit

are you sure,

i mean, absinthe isn't mentioned on the bottle, it doesn't louche and it only has 96 proof.
it smells a bit like one of teds absinthes, it has a nice green color and on the label are wormwood plants.
that is why i'm not sure what it is.
maybe pernod made some other herbal liqours in the past?

By Wormwood on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 04:35 am: Edit

That is absinthe produced in Spain right after the French ban.
Ernest Hemmingway is supposed to have drank it before running with the bulls.

Darn you just missed your chance to run with the bulls and I'm sure the bottle will not be here next year at this time.

By Germanandy on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 02:49 pm: Edit

hmmm, i like it but ... the pills the doctor gave me today were much better, i squeezed a nerve somewhere in my back yesterday and i tell you that hurts, but the pills have great secondary effects ... i better stop writing now, i beginn to see 2 keyboards on my desk ;-)

By Luger on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 02:17 pm: Edit

>'m sad to say that i drank the rest of the bottle >while i wrote the last post ;-)

Well how did you like it?

By Germanandy on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 12:36 pm: Edit

i'm sad to say that i drank the rest of the bottle while i wrote the last post ;-)

By Luger on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 11:07 am: Edit

>we are not sure what it is, has anyone a idea?
>i mean, when produced, what kind of liqour is it >and so on.

AFAIK Pernod made Absinthe in Taragona until 1936.
Send me the contents and I´ll tell you if it´s good!

Cheers: Senor Luger

By Germanandy on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 09:25 am: Edit

bloody tech ... another try.

By Germanandy on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 09:22 am: Edit

there is one thing we've forgot to say.
we've also tasted a pernod veritas from pernod tarragona spain.
we are not sure what it is, has anyone a idea?
i mean, when produced, what kind of liqour is it and so on.

thank you!

By Petermarc on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 10:33 am: Edit

the rebel in blue is a french friend of mine drove me and her sister there(on left)...more into wine than absinthe, but fun and learning...they both want to come back next year...pontarlier will be more focused on absinthe, however, i believe it will need our infusion of foreign trouble-makers...

By Heiko on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 09:56 am: Edit

I'm glad you posted the second picture - on the first one I look like a ghost, somehow.
Well, maybe I did: it was the morning after...

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 08:58 am: Edit

It is on October 13th/14th as I recall. Market, films and exhibition.

By Timk on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 08:44 am: Edit

So whats this about a Pontarlier absinthe festival, anyone Know whats happening / have details?

By Germanandy on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 04:41 am: Edit

another group photo.
almost the same

By Germanandy on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 03:34 am: Edit

haha, that's a good comparison, funny!

By Marc on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 02:11 am: Edit

looks like the cast from The Commitments.

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 01:43 am: Edit

Phil's the guy who forgot to put his trousers on...

By Zack on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 01:02 pm: Edit

Who's the rebel not wearing black?

By Germanandy on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 12:46 pm: Edit

the boys and girls

By Petermarc on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Fortunately it had rained while we were having dinner…the temperature had dropped from the nice, toasty day…2 kilometers, my ass! Happily, I put myself into semi-awake, not –feeling-the-pain walking mode and everyone followed along…we would all be pissed to not surprisingly find that the party had ended and the swiss maid dancers were all tucked sweetly into bed…as we neared town, we could hear music, and knew we were in luck (?) andy had brought some la bleue with him and seeing that it was not flowing in the streets, we decided to pour our own…no ice water…just beer, wine, la rincette and the local sparkling water that had a name like ‘heinz’…ah, the lost 58th flavor, found in the pastoral countryside of Switzerland…but it was cold…what do we do now? No one wanted to drink la bleue with carbonated water, even though this is an historical reality…’put your thumb over the top and shake it up and it will go flat’ someone suggested…having never wanted any carbonated beverage to purposely go flat, I had never done this, but it seemed like a good idea and worked a little…we poured our drinks (I still need sugar in mine, so it was only better than not absinthe for me) and went inside…we were greeted by polka music and many people, having a good time…we found our host Nicolas who was drinking a green shot drink called ‘la grenouille’ (the frog) I have since learned that the people of boveresse are nicknamed ‘the frogs’ from an earlier age when frog hunting was done in the area…I believe the French are still fighting in court to claim this disparaging nickname as their own on the same bill as appellation controllé ‘right of origin’ protection for the use of the term ‘absinthe’ on a product that is technically not legal in either country anyway…but I digress…we were offered some shots of this drink which you all are already familiar with…there is no way to discribe it properly, it is not absolutely sure it has alcohol in it, sort of like midori, but thick with some sort of suspended particals and had a cocaine-like ability to make you want to drink more without knowing why…the bottle was soon empty…I offered to get another…I went to the bar and asked, the girl had one bottle left…50 swiss francs! Well, there goes my la bleue! Ah, who cares? I grabbed the bottle and went back to the table where we all happily consumed it’s contents, me exclaining every 2 minutes how I don’t feel drunk but more awake, no one would tell us what was in it, we didn’t care…jim jones would have loved us…ok, the time that we left the party to taste/buy la bleue was either before or after that last scene…I’m not sure…after I think…the bottom line was, the first person I asked about la bleue not only knew how I could get it, but sold it himself…I will not go into much detail about how this all came about on the forum…you’ve seen the pictures…heard the other reports…fortunately, we did not have to walk back and were given a ride by a friendly native…andy and I decided we needed to have one more absinthe before bed…not sure that was a great idea, but pleasant, none the less…got up the next day with every intention of trekking into the woods up a hill to see an ice mine (?) that provided the café’s of paris with the ‘frap’ in ‘eau frapée’…fortunately, it was raining and much to phil’s disappointment, we talked ourselves out of it…we were supposed to go back to pick up our la bleue, but for me, I had lost interest in it…it was decent, but not anything compared to andy’s, lavsinthe, of course, the berger…it is like bringing California wine to a French party…everyone laughs, makes jokes about it, and then drinks it instead of the french stuff after tasting and comparing…heiko managed to make it back and pick some up, as he has said…and, a shipment had made it back to the usa…we didn’t see the pontarlier museum because it’s sunday hours are 3-7pm…but as everyone has said, it was meeting everyone that was the highlight for me…I’ll be back, because it just isn’t that far from me and we have plans (well, sort of) for next year…these will be discussed this week as we have another tasting with tlautrec and ekmass (anyone else?) here in paris and in pontarlier in October for what is their first brocante/exposition/conference/animation…the was a country festival through and through by and for the locals and I was warned in advance…but it is the only one like it (for now) and I’m sure if we put our minds to it,we will find some way to ruin it...

By Germanandy on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 04:51 am: Edit

ian and peter drinking la bleue
la bleue

ian, peter and heiko doing the frog

By Petermarc on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 04:00 pm: Edit

thanks phil, no one will ever know you offered me a free spoon...
kallisti, would love to be back in the old country for bastille day...will be toasting manifest destiny on the 4th here...pushing through tourists on the metro to work until the end of july...painful

By Petermarc on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 02:16 pm: Edit

petit napnap

By Petermarc on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 02:15 pm: Edit

ok, phil, i admit; the next day, the idea of walking 1/2 hour up a hill in the rain to go down into a mine that they used to store ice in before it was shipped to paris was not my idea of fun...i had a hard time keeping down my 'petit nap' in pontarlier...nap

By Frenchman on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 11:50 am: Edit

Perhaps no a wacky robes, but a Tshirt would be fine and i thought to an Initiation (a Peter's girl friend is dressmaker and the second bellmaker---> interesting too to call the assembly - just a joke) :
Like to drink an absinthe with the glace of this small glacier near Couvet that we didn't see because 2 or 3 tired absinthe drinkers and bad weather....
This assembling could be an idea to elect the best present illegal absinthe. (by peoples who likes all and other who likes nothing)

The next and first french absinthe Festival will be to Pontarlier the october 13 and 14.... it should be bigger.

And Peter, thank you very much for the advertising about Tour Eiffel spoons, so now i am obliged to give you a free spoon....but chuuuut, don't repeat this.....

By Petermarc on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 10:15 am: Edit

sorry to make you seem to be a light-weight...both phil and ian were hard at work all day trying to represent us as much as possible...unfortunately, i did not find their stand until the afternoon...i must state that phil did so well at the festival that he might not be allowed to do the same thing again next regulations about being more successful than the citizens or something like that...phil,i hope you have saved a few eiffel tower spoons for me, they were selling like, well, like absinthe would have seen selling had there been a stand for it...phil has also suggested the formation of an absintheur's fraternity modeled on the many wine fraternities that exist in france (he likes the idea of wacky robes with big spoons on ribbons and the diplomatic immunity that comes with, too)why not really annoy the locals?...let the frat-boy bashing begin...

By Frenchman on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 09:33 am: Edit

Yes i gone to bed soon, but you forget to say that before, i sold spoons on my stand since 8am till 5pm without chair, drinks.....and a lot peoples who asked me a lot of questions about my spoons, us, and absinthe in USA, UK....
So, yes, i was a little tired the evening.

And i like the absinthe with lavender (from USA) very original and the first absinthe from Andy.
Grrrrr again......

So i will have soon a real bottle of a real old and good absinthe. You will see what i mean. :)

And you forget the confraternity !!

By Petermarc on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 03:47 pm: Edit

meiko miko

By Petermarc on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 03:44 pm: Edit

heiko had unsuccessfully attempted to call for andy over the loudspeaker system (in german, no less,as if the natives weren’t already worked up) with no success...we were just about to leave when andy walked in with his lovely wife...
great timing to all go back together to couvet for a clandestine tasting in my hotel room...we were allowed to taste in the room, but not in the restaurant. (like as if we weren’t allowed to taste in the room that we wouldn’t have)here are my observations following those already posted by andy and heiko...
first off , the vintage berger…phil was convinced there was something that age(or the guy i bought it from) had erased in the vintage berger, but he doesn't like anything...;-)
i believe the rest of us liked it quite a bit (I seem to remember ian say he would be happy to drink it all night)…and we had a hard time deciding what was lacking in it (other than being quite mellow from age)… i now have a new appreciation for the slick on the la fée, since there is a heavy one with the berger...the la bleue andy found was quite nice having the bright blue/white louche that seems to be a true characteristic of the swiss products, sharp and clean without alot of herbal nuances…the local pastis ‘la rincette’ gets rather close…
as always, the number 9 gets the majority vote as the most unlike any other absinthe that anyone has tasted…(when we stopped by the museum at pontarlier, though they weren’t open, we could reach over the wall and grab a pinch of fresh absinthe that is growing in their ‘absinthe recipe’ garden…I still believe that #9 smells exactly like fresh absinthe, when you crush it in your fingers, and I find that to be the main smell…go figure)…but I must admit, the real pleasure of that tasting was the two samples of andy’s making (I saved the rest of my American lavsinthe as a gift to our host along with the remainder of the bottle of oxygénée, since we had already used these to disturb the locals)…one was made with orange flowers and a little lavender…it is very perfumed and reminds me of driving through the orange groves in florida during the spring…the orange gets deeper as it ages and had become more pronounced in the taste…it is refreshing…his verte has progressed to an extraordinary product, lovely peridot color (natural, of course) and a fine, deep opal/white louche…it is herbal without being woody, fresh with mint, and back on form with anis vert (imported from a paris herb shop-thank you very much-I am very self-serving ;-) ) after a decent, but lacking sample using star anis…there is no comparison…and wonderful feel in the mouth… mr. ‘I prefer my absinthe old, very old or older’(Frenchman phil) liked it! Which apparently is saying a lot…this absinthe would benefit from about 6 month’s of aging, but andy sadly admitted that it was not possible at this time, do to an inability to refrain from drinking it…la fée was sampled thanks to ian’s cough syrup bottle…but, it was hard to get excited about it…it is a good commercial product that pales when it is put beside the artisanal line-up of that evening…
even though the best hotel in the val-de-travers had decorators who thought it was charming to use a orange plastic 1970’s typewriter and a chopped in half row boat filled with oyster and muscle shells as hall decorations, the restaurant was excellent…so good that even though we all had rooms at the hotel, we could not get a table in the dining room and had to be placed in the ‘brasserie’ right next to it…we had a very good fixed menu meal of 3 courses; shrimp, veal with morel mushrooms and a dessert which I have already forgot, because as clear headed as I thought I was heading for dinner, after a swiss rosé (50cl, complete with screw cap, lavishly unscrewed by our waiter/hotelier, that tasted good, and was slightly sparkling but seemed to cause headaches, like the swiss white early that day) plus two bottles of an excellent swiss barrel-aged pinot noir that chewed like a good zinfandel, I was embarrassing the table by loudly commenting on swiss sluts and constantly talking in French to the germans (who do not understand French, but I have gotten used to talking in French to whoever doesn’t speak English, and could not remember that I could just speak English to them)…at the end of the meal, my two french friends, and andy’s wife were ready to go to bed (plus phil)… but we were formites in Switzerland at the absinthe festival and since we were only 2 kilometers from boveresse, we could walk (!) and not worry about ending up in a cow pasture or worse…heiko had somehow gotten our plans crossed with ‘ok, we’re all light-weights and are going to bed’ (I may have explained to him that we wanted to go back in French) after not being able to locate him in the lobby, I got his room number and pounded on his door until he woke up (sheesh, he can fall asleep fast) and informed him he needed to come with us…this seemed like a good idea to him….

By Germanandy on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 12:23 pm: Edit

By Admin on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 10:47 am: Edit

O Heavens! Those damn Europeans sure are the handsomest.

Cheers guys!!! Glad ye got the pic loaded, wooo!

Come out to San Francisco for trashy Bastille Day on the lawn? Aw, c'mon ...

By Heiko on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 06:06 am: Edit

The 'fairy' was a local.

who are you talking of, Betty? She would care about what? We were speaking English all the time (I don't speak French, Ian doesn't, I think Andy doesn't as well).

The quote from the girl at Mauler didn't have anything to do with Betty. I just found it funny that the locals don't consider absinthe to be something special - they'd pay more for good wine than for good absinthe. Most of them think absinthe is just something grandpa got drunk on, that's it...

By Ekmass on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 03:50 am: Edit

who is the woman in the fairy outfit?

By Malhomme on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 01:28 am: Edit

"I can't tell what she is like in real life"

Very friendly and talkative.

I'm just speculating here, but I don't think she speaks French, perhaps not German... unless the conversation was in English, I don't know why she'd really bother. Hi-ho!

By Heiko on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Another little anecdote I just remembered:

Quote from the girl who worked at the vinery Mauler tasting bar (roughly translated, she only spoke French): "I heard people pay 250 SFr for a bottle of La Bleue in Zurich. I don't understand that, I mean it's just absinthe..."

By Heiko on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 03:50 pm: Edit

I look kind of drunk... I wonder why ;-)

By Petermarc on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:59 pm: Edit

thanks for the offers of help...

By Petermarc on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:57 pm: Edit

and part of his nose and mouth...which is about to drink 'frog'...which cost as much as la bleue...

By Petermarc on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:55 pm: Edit

oh, and ian's hand and our swiss friend/host nicolas

By Petermarc on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:52 pm: Edit

heiko, andy, frog frog

By Petermarc on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:47 pm: Edit

By Petermarc on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:45 pm: Edit

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:34 pm: Edit

Email it to me. I'll post it.

By Admin on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Peter, you are cursed. Send them to me and I'll get 'em up. We are wanting to see all yer lovely mugs!!!

By Petermarc on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:27 pm: Edit

screw it

By Petermarc on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:26 pm: Edit

By Petermarc on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 01:42 pm: Edit

By Petermarc on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 01:39 pm: Edit

absinthedrinker(ian)...petermarc(peter)...boveresse absinthe fairy...oxygénée (the absinthe(?), not the formite)...heiko...frenchman(phil)pix

By Frenchman on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 11:53 am: Edit

I came back too.
Absinthe world is a fantastic world : i never imagined that a day i will drink with a same glass for all, in a small room, in swisstzerland, a lot of illegal absinthes, with an american who speak french, 3 germans who speak english, 1 english who speak english, 2 french girls who speak english....
(and me who don't speak really english!)

I hope to meet you again to Pontarlier in October.
And i am making trophy (a big spoon on a marble piedestal) for the best illegal absinthe !!!

By Heiko on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 09:49 am: Edit

...another anecdote I just remembered: The guy who invited us on some bleue had a bottle of Lasala on his table. I asked him how he liked it - you should have seen his face... ;-)

By Heiko on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 09:44 am: Edit

"[...] absinthe wine and a rum/absinthe created from a recipe from the french carribean...both were not very good"

Actually, the absinthe rum was kind of disgusting...

By Heiko on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 09:25 am: Edit

I don't think Andy or Peter ever said something bad about Betty, I was making some joke once and tried to apologize later on.
I heard something that there were some quarrels between her and some other people, something about business, whatever - I do not care because I am not active in the absinthe business.
We were not the official "we don't say hello to Betty"-clan or something like that.
Maybe it would have been a good idea to talk to Andy, it would probably have made a better impression on him than being ignored for something he has never done!
As for me, I was not able to attend breakfast in the morning, so I can't really comment on the situation. I would have found it nice to see Betty tho, but she seemed to avoid meeting us and I can't tell what she is like in real life.

By Germanandy on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 09:05 am: Edit

first of all, this thread is not a "i hate betty thread",
i've only mentioned my first impresion of that woman, that's all.
i've never said any bad things about her.
that's all.

By Petermarc on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 09:04 am: Edit

apparently oxygénée is not authorized in switzerland, although from where it was originally test-marketed in thonon-le-bain, it would seem the swiss market was what they were shooting for...after we started posing with the bottle and the absinthe fairy, i think someone mentioned this to the president of the festival, who became angry at our host (but not in front of us)...we decided it was best to take it back to the hotel, do a full tasting and have dinner...

By Larsbogart on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 08:35 am: Edit

First you all hate betty and say horrible things about her. then you think im betty and hurt my feelings. then you go to the festival and expect her to do the hava nagilla with you?
even if i were betty i wouldnt talk to any of you either. tit for tat. and you all set the rules.

By Petermarc on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 03:58 am: Edit

damn heiko, way to go!...

By Petermarc on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 03:38 am: Edit

andy, thanks for posting so quickly...i am still very tired...i will throw a few comments in while i'm here at work and post some photos tonight...i was initially disappointed at first, also...i couldn't find phil and ian's stand because it was in an absinthe drying shed that had the main flea-market and film exhibition, but was not obviously
marked by signs, so unless you had been there before or had an event/town map, you could not easily find it...considering how small the town is, i find it amazing how it could have been so well hid...because we did not have a response from many people regarding a stand/booth,we didn't have one, except for phil, who was selling his reproduction flèche(arrow design) spoon and his new release eiffel tower, which is fantasic, and will hopefully undermine the fakes that are being sold as real...there were only two other dealers there (that i knew of), both swiss...there was a film playing upstairs about absinthe which i tried to see, but the room was packed and i ended up forgetting about it...there was also a small exhibit with a few bottles, alambic stills, posters and an ingredient table , with plates of all the herbs that could be used for making absinthe... was a much nicer day than had been predicted and i believe there had to be around 300+ people thoughout the day...this was a real country fair, like what i remember in wisconsin, that was mainly for the locals...this made it interesting and boring at the same time...i had tried the local pastis with my lunch of veal sausage and fries called 'rincette'(a brand name now, but swiss slag for la bleue) it was decent,a good anisette, but not absinthe...there was none to be seen, except for an absinthe wine and a rum/absinthe created from a recipe from the french carribean...both were not very good, used absinthe in them and were legal...there was a sale of live plants but they seemed to go quickly and were not very big...when we finally got our small group together (ian, phil, heiko, my friends hélène and sandrine, and myself-we had not been able to find andy and his wife) and walked into the main dancehall/food tent, it was like out of a western movie, entering the saloon and having about 150 people staring at you...we stuck out a little, though i didn't thing we seemed that's just that it seemed like everyone knew everyone else except us...we decided to crack open a bottle of oxygénée (since it's legal, right?) and proceded to bring out spoons and a few glasses i had brought...we decided to be as discreet and anyone could be in a huge tent surrounded by 150+ people who know everyone except you and are drinking beer and wine and maybe a few glasses of pastis (that i knew of)in clear plastic cups and i am pouring light green alcohol out of a non-authorized bottle into a verlaine-type egg glass with spoon and sugar ritual following...fortunately, we had befriended the marketing director of the festival, and he was ready to try some and found a few wine glases...benoît noël (who has collaborated with marie-claude delahaye on a couple of her books, plus has just released a new book on absinthe)sat down right next to us and introduced himself, his wife and his publisher and wife...they were selling the book there and had to make sure we had all had the chance to buy one and signed a copy i had with me and sold a few at the table...'i used to be a curator, but now i'm an authour!' he was a great character, who was charming and funny, and was happy to try a glass himself...since we were now surrounded by more 'official' people, i put the bottle (which i was hiding under the table) on the table and benoît's wife started taking pictures of it and the glass...i figured this was a good a time as any to try out a good old american artisanal product on them and made a glass from a special lavender-based absinthe that i am quite found of...there was quite a bit of confusion as to what was the secret ingedient, but it could tell they were this point,i was pushing my luck on what i could get away with there...end part 1 (i have to work some today, too)

By Heiko on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 02:03 am: Edit

I'm back, too!!
Actually, I arrived yesterday late in the evening but was too tired to do anything. I'm going to continue Andy's story, starting with breakfast on sunday: I wasn't there, because I slept the sleep of the dead ;-)
I just had too much of the "frog" stuff (and I don't know anymore what we were talking after we've had too much of that...I think I started babbling amusing stuff, I can remember Peter laughing ;-)). I suspect the "frog" concoction wasn't perfectly legal - whatever was in it, it had an amazing effect on us...
Anyways - I was dead on Sunday morning (that is, when I woke up at 10.30...)

So, we went to Pontarlier to visit the absinthe museum - unfortunately it was closed and would open at 3 p.m., too late for most of us. We just had a nice dinner then, said goodbye and everybody went home.

Well, except for me: I still wanted to buy some of the Bleue we were offered (hadn't done that yet because of the trip to Pontarlier/France).
I looked for the guy at his house, he wasn't at home, but his wife, who fortunately spoke English very well, knew where he was and called him. So, he came back very quick and gave me the 'items' I was looking for. We talked a bit then (he also speaks English and even some German) and he seemed to be very glad that there's someone interested in absinthe, the history of absinthe and the region. For that reason, he asked me if I'd like to see the absinthe museum in Motiers and maybe the vinery Mauler. Actually, he was very enthusiastic about showing me some of the regional goodies - a very very friendly guy, I must say! So we drove to Motiers, had a look at the gothic church, then went to the museum (there's actually only one room dedicated to absinthe, but it was worth it). The guy at the museum took us to the absinthe room, where he was just about to explain the items to some other people. He was the only one working there and did several tours at once - therefore he left us alone in the room for maybe fifteen minutes, a room in which were antique absinthe items worth thousands of dollars: Some vintage bottles amongst which were two sealed Pernod bottles from before 1900, two fountains, dozens of glasses and some spoons. There, I really regretted not having a camera with me. What I found very amusing was that they had an empty bottle of "Hermes" absinthe from Japan there, too...
We went to see the house of Rousseau then (part of the museum) where another group was waiting for the guide. It's a small world and so amongst those people was someone Peter had introduced to us the day before - someone who wrote good books about La Fée verte, unfortunately in French only, so I won't be able to read them until someone publishes them in English :-(
(btw. I do not mention any names of non-forumites because I don't know if those people would like it).

After the museum, we went for some champagne tasting at the Mauler winery. Even I repeatedly said I don't know anything about wine ("if it says wine, I'll drink it" - credits to Head) I think I wasn't wrong buying some of the cuvée 2000: these will make good presents for birthdays - most people I know appreciate that more than absinthe (unfortunately, in my opinion).

So, that's it, we drove back to Boveresse, said goodbye and I went home to Germany. I was lucky that the officers at the border were busy searching some other car at the moment, so they didn't even want to see my passport!

Of course, there's more to say about Boveresse, and I guess I and all the others will do so soon: all about the tasting, about the "bourgeois" entertainment at the fête and the regional junior high cheerleaders (kind of) performing some Britney Spears dances ;-)

Peter, Andy, thank you so much for sharing all the different brands and samples - that was definitely the most interesting part of the whole meeting!

By Germanandy on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 09:57 pm: Edit

i wrote a lot of shit yesterday ;-)
i was very very tired from the long drive home.
i was sitting at a table, ok!

By Marc on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 09:56 pm: Edit

that was funny, I mean really funny. Thanks for the laugh.

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 09:05 pm: Edit

I believe I have an insight into the Betty incident. In America, at banquets and dinners, we tend to sit on the chairs that surround the table, and not on the table itself. She probably thought you were deranged, and was trying not to provoke you.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 05:45 pm: Edit

So who were the booths/stands about?

By Germanandy on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 02:09 pm: Edit

when i sat on a table and someone i don't know is coming and sit himself infront of me and ignores me, i do not say hello this person.
i do not have anything against betty, i just found it a bit unpolite, that's all.

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 01:38 pm: Edit

The imperative doesn't suit you.

By Marc on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 01:13 pm: Edit

You didn't introduce yourself to Betty or say good morning, even though you thought you recognized her. Odd.

I would have said hello.

the Betty bashing has gotten boring. Grow up.

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 12:49 pm: Edit

By Germanandy on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 12:22 pm: Edit

i've forget to say, we also had a hout doubs #9 in peters room.

the most important thing to me was not the festival ... it was to meet peter, ian, phil, heiko and the others ... and that was definently worth the money and the driving ... i would do it again, everytime.
these guys were just great!!!

oh, another thing ... betty was sitting at our table when we had breakfast (i only know that it was betty 'cause the others told me ... she did not introduce herself or say good morning).

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 11:55 am: Edit

Same here...I was thinking about going...glad I saved it for money in Yisrael and Jordan...

By Germanandy on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 11:50 am: Edit

you are right don,

it's like making a hashish festival without any hashish, i mean you can buy some pipes and stuff but it is not alowed to smoke some weed (that's just a comparison).
one of the others should say something about the angry people, that happens before i met them, but i guess you are right again don.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 11:41 am: Edit

Dear Andy,

sounds like you guys were the real festival, and that otherwise Bovaresse was hardly worth the trip.

Why were the locals angry wiht you? For having the temerity to drink absinthe at an absinthe festival?

I can tell you that if I came all the way from Thailand to the Jura and found a non-event, I'd be a trifle pissed off.

By Germanandy on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 11:07 am: Edit

hi jon,

no problem ... yep let's contact, send me a mail when you are there.

seems that i'm the first one that could make it home.

when i came to boveresse i was a bit disapointed, it was very small, just a few stands, the hotel very very expensive and i didn't find my companions (peter, ian, phil, heiko and the 2 fun lovin' french girls ;-))
ok, we (my wife and i) get back to the hotel and have shower, after that we went back to the festival.
we did a little searching and then ... we found the party.
they where sitting in the festival hall and finished their unauthorised illegal absinthe tasting ... they told me that a couple of people around where a bit angry about that ;-)
we all get back to the hotel and gathered in peters room to have a few drinks.
the first was his vintage berger (he postet some pictures in another thread), it is quite a delicious drink (smells similar to segarra) and has a beautyfull thick louche.
then we have had some of my homemades, a la fee, a la bleue (which i brought from germany) and a pernod veritas from tarragona (which is not an absinthe, it's just an old herbal liqour).
after that we all had a very tasty beautyfull dinner together (delicious).
ok, now some off us where going to bed (the "ladies", sorry phil ;-)) and the rest was going back to the festival (about "2" kilometers walking in absolute darkness) packed with the rest of the la bleue.
the rest of the festival was in the festival hall (with some bad music).
at the whole time there was no absinthe to see anywhere (except our own).
at the "bar" we bought ourselfs some water and a strange green liquid called "the frog" (we still don't know what it is, no one told us, they just sayd it's a secret recipie).
ok, we mixed the la bleue with the (carbonated) water and walked into the hall.
after a little talking with someone we had the chance to get ourselfs some la bleue.
he took us to his home and invited us to a glass of la bleue (we felt like the guy in the swiss absinthe video ;-)).
then we get back to the hall and have some more of that frog stuff (the more we drank, the more we liked it).
we came back to the hotel about 4 am and peter and i just have had one more glass of absinthe and then we get to bed.
after the breakfast in the morning my wife and i decided to drive homewards, while the others where going to pontarlier to visit the museum ... from this point on one of the others have to write.

thank you for listening

By Joalco on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 09:47 am: Edit

andy ~

welcome back! i'm sorry i wasn't able to contact you on my first trip to germany, however, my girlfriend and i will be in munich again the first weekend in July (the 5th through 7th, I believe), although most of Saturday I think we're going to spend visiting the Eagle's Nest. If you want to make connections sometime that week, let me know, and we'll try to hook up. The Monday following, I'll be visiting Bayreuth, where Christine is studying for the summer.

By Germanandy on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 09:01 am: Edit

hi everybody,
i'm back from switzerland.
it was good.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation