Can't identify a certain taste in some absinthes

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Can't identify a certain taste in some absinthes
By Simonsuisse on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 11:52 am: Edit

Even though they taste completely different, i have noticed some sort of woody corrolation between Segarra and pernod fils. Heiko, i understand, but like you i cannot pin-point the herbs. As i am not as knowledgable as Mr Breaux when it comes to herb identification.
So Ted, if you know the mojo let me knowjo!!!

By Grimbergen on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 05:39 pm: Edit

"What I find very special about NS`s taste is something reminding me of coriander but I don't think it`s what Heiko is talking about."

That would probably be due to the corriander...

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 12:26 pm: Edit

What I find very special about NS`s taste is something reminding me of coriander but I don't think it`s what Heiko is talking about.

By Webfly on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 12:12 pm: Edit

And what about that taste in NS? I think Ted said something about a certain spice. To me, it is cedar-like and accents the anis flavor intensely.

webfly

By Webfly on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 12:12 pm: Edit

And what about that taste in NS? I think Ted said something about a certain spice. To me, it is cedar-like and accents the anis flavor intensely.

webfly

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 11:08 am: Edit

It is not calamus.

There are several different things that can contribute to a woody texture, some 'good' some 'bad'. There is no universal answer.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 10:50 am: Edit

Heiko, could it be calamus root? (Acorus calamus) Of all the ingredients of absinthe that I know, this is the one that looks and taste the "woodiest".

By Melinelly on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 10:43 am: Edit

i think i know what you're talking about. it's a taste that i found prevalent in ted's pontalier and also tasted in his gorgon. don't know enough to say what it is though.

By Heiko on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 10:01 am: Edit

Hey, I'm trying to be serious!

By Verawench on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 09:01 am: Edit

woody

By Heiko on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 08:16 am: Edit

I was wondering about this since my first drinks in Boveresse:

I found a certain taste in some of the better brands that is also present in Segarra, it does not seem to be present in most of the Spanish or in Oxygénée. I'm talking of a kind of woody taste that adds to Segarra's "butterscotch" flavor. First, I found it to be present in the Neuchâtel blanche I bought at the Boveresse bar (which was astonishingly very similar in taste to La Bleue). Then, when we passed around Peter's glass of Berger to smell it undiluted, this scent was very present - interestingly the Berger did not taste like it at all. I also found the taste to be present in the two La Bleues I have tried, as well as in La Fée.
I was surprised by this because I thought that taste was unique in Segarra (and is I think especially strong in Segarra).
I think the more complex the overall taste of the absinthe is, the less you can single this taste out (like in Berger, where I could only smell but not taste it).

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation