A First Time for Everything

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: A First Time for Everything
By Bob_Chong on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 09:57 am: Edit

LOL at Head. Thanks, buddy. You're fucking hilarious.

BC

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 06:34 am: Edit

Aya? Woulda you look ata dat! Mya Italian accent wasa comin' out lasta night...

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 08:22 pm: Edit

"Candy"? I think that's you sugar cube talking at ya'.

Try a one without.

By Jk_Deth on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 08:16 pm: Edit

Okay I went for the segarra. Mixed a strong I think abt 2 oz Segarra 5 oz water, did use a sugar cube, first sip or two, just reminded me of licorice or the anise salt water taffy. I noticed that though this is actually a strong mix as drinks go, the is very little 'alcohol' taste.
Next sip I kind of rolled around, noticing the 'creamy' texture.
My intial reaction is more 'Candy!' than cocktail, (meaning that in a good way)

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 07:42 pm: Edit

No Serpis? Segarra then.

By Jk_Deth on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 07:32 pm: Edit

It has arrived! My first order arrived today! I have now a fresh bottle of Deva and a fresh bottle of Segarra. My first drink is only moments away! One little note though I ordered Deva 70, but the sent the 'regular'. Noy a big concern, Im overall happy with my order...now which first? Im leaning towards Segarra.

By Joshua on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 05:50 am: Edit

i first heard of absinthe back in 8th grade art class,while learning of the impressionists,and that it drove them all mad,what an impressive reputation for a drink to have,soon absinthe was forgotten,until i picked up an old issue of maxim in a er waiting room,it had this silly story of a man buying bootleg absinthe from a hippy in a 70's saab,and it went on how it makes everything look like a van gogh painting.well reading this i was hooked,i read all i could about it,then finally my 21'st birthday,i went out that day and bought some pernod,just to get an idea of what anise tasted like,i used the absente glass and spoons i had,unlike most i like my pernod with sugar,i deicided i like this taste so i ordered some montana minis,.when they arrived in the mail,it was like a ray from heaven was shining upon me.i hurried home,and that night i turned the lights low,and opened the first little bottle.it was light yellow,smelled very differnt from the pernod i had had,i poured half of the little bottles contents into the class,used a sugar cube as is common,it was delicous,i savored this forbidden taste,soon the glass was empty,so i poured the rest into the glass,this time with 2 sugar cubes,ahhh this glass was downed very quicklyafter i was done i sat in the chair which by now had becomed very comfy,and felt this buzzing all over my body,it would come in waves,the candles had little halos around them,truly bliss,thoughts were flowing like water,i wrote a few little poems,did some skectches for some painting.this was great as i wasnt realy expecting any noticible effects whatsoever.soon i was ordering from the corner more and more,oddly enough i only get this much effect from montana.

By Btyre on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 11:32 pm: Edit

My first experience(s):

A long while ago, I learned about what absinth was. A green, strong drink that can cause hallucinations, it is now banned. I think I was around 13 or 14 at the time; I thought this was kind of neat, but seeing as it was banned, and I was way underage, why bother? I can't remember where I first learned of absinth.

A few years later, a certain Nine Inch Nails video brought back a half interest in absinth, but I realized I would probably never even see a bottle of it, let alone taste it.

Come to February 2001. An ad appears in a free newspaper. A columin wide, full-length ad announcing the return of (Hill's) Absinth. Neat, I thought. I'll actually have a chance to try it. I checked out the website, and found that a few local -although expensive- restauraunts are offering Hill's on the menu, and that it will soon be in liquor stores. It arrived in liquor stores in May of this year, and I almost bought a bottle but a quick search in YAHOO lead me to this site and I thought otherwise.

Oddly enough, it was an article on the Hill's website that first lead to me to Mari Mayans. This site simply provided a source for it.

Whilst waiting and fearing that customs had confiscated my order, I picked up a bottle of Ricard and immediatley had an ounce with not enough water. While all I could tasted for the next hour and a half was anise, I had no problem with it. The taste was of black jelly beans, and I loved it. My Mari Mayans arrived two days later, and I immediatley had a glass of that. What can I say? I've done Mari Mayans and Ricard back-to-back, and Mari Mayans just seems to have something in it that Ricard doesn't.

End of story.

BTW: After drinking Tia Maria as my only coffee liquer for that past month, I got lazy and had some of my parent's Kahlua -BLAH! Pass the Tia Maria, please!

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 09:56 pm: Edit

My first time?

Well, I was just a toddler in Beirut and my wise and leathery Umkah Pobre used to sit me on his knee and tell me about the Absinthe he'd drink when he was stationed in Portugal. He used to tell some wild stories. The fights, the arguments, the prostitutes... All because of the Gooey Green Tonic Absinthe.

I knew I had to have some. So he snuck it in to me one night. It was Green and Glowing. I had about two teaspoons in my tippy taster mug of Pediatric YooHoo.

I've never been the sane...

By Leela on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 09:08 pm: Edit

Like many a green neophyte, I had heard of le fee verte for years, but didn't actually taste her until a trip to Europe. I was in Prague, with my husband, and my parents. Well, my parents were in their hotel room and we were out late at night looking for fun. There was absinthe (Hills) on a menu, my husband had tried it before, and I thought "hell yeah, why not?" So I had two glasses and drank them like shots because the taste was so insanely awful. I don't know whether it was the power of suggestion or the real thing, but I did get some audio hallucinations. Regardless, I wanted to know more.

I came home and found the Chapel Perilious. I then found out that the fabulous Miss Kallisti is someone I know through other means. She introduced me to N.S., and then I read about the infamous Serpis Slerpis. Since I live one block from a 7-11 I decided that my fate had arrived and I contacted our friends in Barcelona.

Meanwhile, I admit to attempting the wormword-in-the-Pernod trick. Actually, I used a combination of Absente and Pernod. It's not NS, that's for sure. But it goes well in diet 7up. And it's given me even more of an appreciation for the real thing.

And that's my story. I like the glasses, the spoons, the ritual, the Slurpees. I like the smooth tang of the anise and the faint hint of citron and wormwood. I like the louche and the clingy feel on the tongue. I like the fact that there are different tastes. I like that it's a little bit naughty. And I've only just begun.

Leela

By Verawench on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 08:16 pm: Edit

::swoons to the tones of Frater's verbal violins::

ooooooohhh.....

By Frater_Carfax on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 06:05 pm: Edit

-cue the violins-

Alas, as I did walk wearily through the backstreets, my mind and heart heavy with remorse and melancholy, my soul drowning in a stygian sea of dispair at the loss of my dearest fiance to another.....

All the more bitter was I that this bounder and cad was my namesake, worse still that my beloved had decided to sever our bond upon the anniversary of my birth!

Rapping upon the door of my good friend Midas, I held hope that heartfelt company would be the remedy to temporarily distract my mind's discordance.

Ushering me inside, I was instructed to sit as preparations were made in the ajoining parlour. Within due course, Midas did appear holding a glass, contained within an opalescent liquid of emerald hue.

Holding the glass to my trembling lips, I did partake of this unknown sacrament, unsure as to what mysteries would be revealed to this neophyte. I closed my eyes as the dominant anise tone awakened my palate, followed in confused succession flavours bitter sweet.

I slowly savoured each taste, as a new desire with veridescent wings did sing to me a rapturous love song, an anaesthesia to my affliction.

And while my sufferance has ceased, I have continued to find felicity with my malachite muse, and shall continue to love her till the day I die.

Midas- you truly are the man with the golden touch....

- rousing orchestral finish-

By Mr_Rabbit on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 05:53 pm: Edit

I tried the Pernod and wormwood extract thing.

Eeeew.

Then I found Sebors. It came in the night my girlfriend and I were going on vacation. So we ended up drinking it out of a plastic soda bottle (the shipment included a regular bottle of Sebor and this soda bottle filled with it.) Sitting on the beach at night, under a half full moon, listening to the waves crash and watching the stars... sigh.

And later, praise jeeezus, I found the forum and our Spanish friends.

By Melinelly on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 10:04 am: Edit

growing up in an artistic and literary household, i was aware of absinthe for as long as i can remember, coming across it when reading some of my mom's books...

as a teenager, i was an acid freak. it did wonders for my writings and philosophies/spirituality, and having grown up with the absinthe myths, i always wanted to try it. it wasn't any sort of preoccupation or anything, only a remote wish in the back of my mind... that was brought to the fore by the absinthe drip scene in coppola's Dracula... and then retreated after several years since who knows where to find absinthe eh?...

then about a year ago, when i started working at Beverages & More!, (like a friend of mine says, you've GOT to work at at least one place with an exclamation point in it's name!) i saw Absente. my boss told me it was what i thought it was, and that her bosses had told her they found some loophole or something and it might not be available for long (probably what they were told by crillon)... so i did some searching when i got home and found absente's wormwood extract sight. the stuff had the same label and claimed to be an herbal extract from absinthe... so i bought a bottle of absente only to find over the course of the next couple days the Chapel Perilous. while clicking through the absinthe reviews i noticed absente wasn't there, then found it disappointedly in the pastis & absinthe substitute section... shortly after, i placed my first order with SC after being awed by prices in an inquiry to Betina, figuring screw the risk, this is all i can afford... after getting my first shipment and being blown away by the packaging, i started posting on a different absinthe forum... and eventually went to check out the other sections of Sepulchritude, eventually saying "hey, look, they've got a forum here too..."

...and here i've been since.

By Bjacques on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 01:26 am: Edit

I first heard about absinthe last spring, from my girlfriend, who was researching a story on it. I didn't then have access to any except for non-wormwood absinthe brewed by the woman who owns the Absinthe Bar (which reopens 1 July) and promptly lost interest. It was green and sweet, but I might as well have been drinking Pernod.

I found this site via Suffering Is Hip and, when I went to Prague last summer, I was served a "surprise" drink that turned out to be Hills and Sprite. I had two of them, got a floating high (did not projectile vomit), and had cool weird dreams that night. I bought Hill's because that was all I could find. At about $15, even crap absinthe was worth a try. Since then, I've gotten better stuff.

Like a drunken Jerry Falwell with his mother in the outhouse, you never forget your first time!

By Verawench on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 04:27 pm: Edit

Well, I was suspicious of all the "do it yourself" recipes out there on the web - happily, I had stumbled upon this site, which lead me to the website of the finest purveyor of alcoholic beverages in Barcelona.

I got two bottles of Deva 50.. at the time it was the most affordable and best reviewed brand on here.

Alone, I prepared a glass as best I could (no spoon or sugar cubes so i just stirred in a teaspoon's worth of sugar). It was excruciating. The taste was so damn pungent I cringed with every sip. The anise fumes were making me dizzy.

Still, most likely due to the psychological thrill of trying "absinthe" for the first time, I did have a little intimate trip of sorts. I had left the tv on.. the local evening news was on and the announcer seemed to be saying "absinthe.. absintheabsintheabsinthe absinthe.. " over and over in different intonations. And euphoria and clarity did seem to follow with the second glass...

Loathing of the taste (I had never tried any bitters or pastis before so I didn't know what to expect) didn't take away from the near-religious experience.

I now know better and don't mix sugar with Deva and have grown completely addicted to the taste of absinthe. I even revel in it. My best friend, the only one with whom I share my SC shipments once in a while, still cannot get past it.

By Tavarua on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:35 pm: Edit

Hello all Ladies and Gentlemans,

I have looked at the archives, and am familiar with the past 6-8 weeks discussion topics along with skimming the archive and could not find anything directly related to everyone’s first experience with absinthe, how they were introduced to it, their first reaction, the setting they were in, etc. There are people who have come in from time to time and talked briefly about it, but there hasn’t been a mass discussion. Maybe this will spark the old atmosphere that all the skulls consistently refer to. However, I cannot start this discussion off for obvious reasons. So I leave it in your competent hands. I wish you all luck, I must venture off now, the President has called and I am off to save the world, again. I’ll be back in fotty-fi, fitty-fi minutes.”

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation