Upcoming Analyses of Various Absinthes

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Upcoming Analyses of Various Absinthes
By blackjack on Tuesday, July 25, 2000 - 02:50 pm: Edit

Sorry if I was misleading. I'm not a chemist. (I'm a computer-guy with a degree in comparitive religion) I just noticed that there seem to be a lot around.

By Don Walsh on Friday, July 21, 2000 - 04:58 am: Edit

Dear mercenary

Firstly, pls have the courtesy to put a bona fide email address up to reply to.

Secondly although I can draw LSD-25, I have neither made it nor taken it, much less a lot of it.

It's my six years in the Chemistry Department of the University of New Orleans that I can call upon to entitle me to be called a chemist. Care to look me up in the Chemical Abstracts? That's my real name I post under.

For experience with lysergic acid diethylamide tartrate you will have to ask Marc's opinion. He's the psychonaut around here. Not lil old moi.

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, July 21, 2000 - 02:01 am: Edit

Well I only mentioned that I was an analytical chemist by qualification, I had to do something 25 years ago to justify another few years at university. Haven't really seen the inside of a lab since.

Absinthdrinker CChem MRSC (and proud to be a chemist)

By mercenary on Thursday, July 20, 2000 - 10:30 pm: Edit

er Don,

Having done a lot of LSD 25 does not entitle you
to call yourself a chemist...

Sorry

another soldier boy

By Don Walsh on Thursday, July 20, 2000 - 08:13 pm: Edit

There's at least four chemists on the Forum:

Ted
Mr Wormwood
blackjack
and me.

I suspect there are more. blackjack's an analytical chemist, see his post below. Ted and I are organic chemists. Mr Wormwood, I dunno his specialization.

Any more of us out there?

By Marc on Thursday, July 20, 2000 - 11:14 am: Edit

Ted,

I'm actually looking forward to the results of your tests. I was just being playful.

By meursault06 on Thursday, July 20, 2000 - 10:38 am: Edit

I have a close friend who is a chemist and has a degree in botany. Ted I'd love it if you could email me your results as well.

Meursault

By Mr. Wormwood on Thursday, July 20, 2000 - 09:20 am: Edit

I think it must have been that Scientific American article in June 1989. It seems to have brought lots of chemists into the group.

By blackjack on Thursday, July 20, 2000 - 09:07 am: Edit

Yeesh! How many chemists exactly _are_ there on the forum?

By tabreaux on Thursday, July 20, 2000 - 06:58 am: Edit

Marc, don't let this scare you. Believe me, it is a good thing. This capability will allow us to verify the claims made by absinthe manufacturers. Personally speaking, I believe some had honest intentions, and some have not-so-honest intentions. This will only strengthen the image of the better products, and expose the poorer products. As it stands, there is no way to determine the actual content of a product. This is about truth, and it is costing me a good deal of $ and time to develop this capability.

Yes Absinthteur, I will provide you with more detailed chemically-oriented information privately.

Veritas

By Marc on Thursday, July 20, 2000 - 02:19 am: Edit

Is there any way of quantifying the pleasure of drinking absinthe? Have we all lost our minds?
Where is the poetry in all of this? What's next? Reducing God to a chemical equation?

By Marc on Thursday, July 20, 2000 - 02:02 am: Edit

Absinthe Dr. Frankensteins. Cool? Or terrifying?

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, July 20, 2000 - 01:57 am: Edit

I can't wait. As an analytical chemist (by qualification rather than occupation) I'd be really interested in the technical bits if you are able to email/fax them to me off the board.

Absinthedrinker

By tabreaux on Wednesday, July 19, 2000 - 09:37 am: Edit

Soon I will be performing some detailed analytical chemistry with every brand of absinthe currently obtainable. Assuming these results will be as clear as my previous round of testing, I should be able to determine the herbal content, both qualitatively and quantitatively of every brand. This information should put an end to any speculation, and I hope it will be of interest to the members of this forum.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation