Methods of Payment from Spirits Corner

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Methods of Payment from Spirits Corner
By Missthing on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 05:21 am: Edit

Just thought I'd mention here that I just got an email from Spirits Corner after successfully placing an order (first time!) that they are out of stock of the Collectors Edition Mari Mayans 20cl bottles - not that many here are likely to be getting the small ones, but I wanted to get as big a variety as possible in one shipment... and I'm sure there's many newbies like me browsing!

They will have the 20cl bottles back in stock in 4 weeks.

that's all :)

By Missthing on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 05:18 am: Edit

Just thought I'd mention here that I just got an email from Spirits Corner after successfully placing an order (first time!) that they are out of stock of the Collectors Edition Mari Mayans 20cl bottles - not that many here are likely to be getting the small ones, but I wanted to get as big a variety as possible in one shipment... and I'm sure there's many newbies like me browsing!

They will have the 20cl bottles back in stock in 4 weeks.

that's all :)

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 08:43 pm: Edit

You may have to find an outlet other than the Sacred Shrine of Rolling Wieners in the Heated Glass Tomb to purchase your Amex cards at

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 08:34 pm: Edit

ATENCIÓN! Información Importante De Comsumer

what I use is an Amex 'Internet Shopping Card' purchased from the 7-11. Costs 4% more

7-Eleven Internet Shopping Card
& Gift Card
from American Express

Effective July 9th, 2001, 7-Eleven stores will no longer be able to sell or reload Internet Shopping Cards or Gift Cards. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have a new program of pre-paid shopping cards in the future.
Cards with a remaining balance will be honored at all retailers accepting American Express, including 7-Eleven, until funds have been depleted from the card, or until the card expiration date (12/03).
Customers with additional questions may call American Express @ 1-877-451-8045

Q & A about my existing card.

By Tavarua on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 09:37 am: Edit

It is finally done. Apparently my transaction went through on my AmEx card on Friday. I donít know how, every time that I used the card, it said refused. Friday works great, maybe I will have the package in time for the wedding. Thanks for all the help, Blackjack, JK, Pataphysician, Cheri, SPM, Frater Carfax and every else who contributed. I think I will use the AmEx method from here on out.

By Tavarua on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 08:09 pm: Edit

I think Cristina and I have come up with a solution, but it will not kick off until tomorrow, which means I probably won't have the package before the wedding on Saturday. Ow well.

In the meantime, I have picked up a bottle of Pernod. Very interesting. I knew there was star-anise in there, but damn, I wasn't ready for the overwhelming amount. It took a few sips, but the flavor has leveled out fairly well. I tried it every way I knew how, but in the end, it was best neat, in a scotch glass with three icecubes. It's very nice to see it go from light emerald to milky chartrueuse in a slow suspended drip manner. It leaves a bit of bitter coating in the back corners of the palet, maybe that is only a factor you get when you don't add water, but I have to imagine it is there regardless.

By Tavarua on Saturday, June 23, 2001 - 04:14 pm: Edit

I am using Internet Explorer on two of the computers and Navigator on a third. I have a TCP / IP connection on one computer and 58.8's on the other two. I think I have covered all the bases. I wonder if it is a problem with Spirits. Probably not, but I cannot understand why this is becoming so difficult. I have used no spaces at any time in putting in any of the card numbers.

By _Blackjack on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 07:39 pm: Edit

What browser are you using? What kind of connection (modem speed, DSL, cable, etc)? Are you behind a firewall/proxy server? It seems to me that there is something keeping you from making a secure connection.

Oh, and DO make sure you put the number in with no spaces the first time. I've found that it screws up the transaction even if you go back and fix it.

By Tavarua on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 05:06 pm: Edit

With all three of the cards, I got the same result, "Refusal of Transmission." With the Visa and Mastercard, I got "1" as a reason. AmEx gave me no reason. I have been trying all day, and am getting very frustrated. Nothing is working. Does anyone out there know what is up, is there anyone having the same problem, is this just a problem with Spirits?

By _Blackjack on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 03:11 pm: Edit

Did it actually reject the card number, or did it just give you the same refusal message. That message just means the transaction didn't make it all the way there. Try it again. And make sure you pick "American Express" for the card type.

By Tavarua on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 11:46 am: Edit

Foiled again.

I just spent 160 USD on one these AmEx cards from 7-11. I chose that number, because it had indicated 184 Euros at Spirits. I plugged everything in properly. It failed again. Is the Euro value actually the USD value. I have no problem putting more money on the card, if this is the problem. Any suggestions

By Pataphysician on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 09:12 am: Edit

You can calculate up-to-the-minute currency conversions at this site:

By Cheri on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 08:42 am: Edit

Approximately $157.78 US..

By Tavarua on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 07:56 am: Edit

The fax thing sounds like a good idea, but I think I will roll with JKís plan. I have a 7-11 right up the street, Iíll hit it up when I grab lunch. Plus, this really cuts down on the fraud risk. I can take a $200.00 hit, but my other cards could purchase a new car. I guess thatís the curses of good credit. Those bastards, just keep raising my limit.

One more thing, does anyone know what the exchange rate is currently for Euros to Dollars. Say, in area of 183.23 Euros.

By Tavarua on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 07:54 am: Edit

The fax thing sounds like a good idea, but I think I will roll with JKís plan. I have a 7-11 right up the street, Iíll hit it up when I grab lunch. Plus, this really cuts down on the fraud risk. I can take a $200.00 hit, but my other cards could purchase a new car. I guess thatís the curses of good credit. Those bastards, just keep raising my limit.

By Jk_Deth on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 07:28 am: Edit

It works right away, when you purchase the card, you just tell them how much you want, they 'swipe' it for that amount, and I assume the amount is credited instantly. There is also a number on the card you can call to check the balance and be sure if you like.
Then when ordering, chose Amex as card type, oand use the current month for the expiration date. Another post here said that SC doesnt require shipping and billing to match, but even if they do it wont matter with this card,since there is no name or address actual attached to it, you just enter your shipping address as billing and shipping.
One more note, the card is reusable, you just pop down to 7-11 and add more money to it, but if you want to keep one and reuse it, be careful where you keep it, the magnetic stripe damages easy and once damaged, you cant add 'credits' to it.

By Spm on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 07:27 am: Edit

You could just Fax your order.

Here is SC's Fax #: 00 34 93 633 01 13

By Tavarua on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 07:04 am: Edit

Still no luck, I have tried three times since yesterday and have gotten ďRefusal, 1 ď. Cristina wrote me back this morning and told me that the previous number I had gotten indicated that there was an interruption in the connection. I wrote her back with the question of the ď1Ē. Hopefully I will here something soon. I really need the bottles for a wedding next Saturday, and feel that if I donít get the order off today, I will not get them in time. BEAT!

JK Deth,

Does the 7-11 solution provide for instant ordering, or do I have to mail the card off?

I have placed no spaces in the numbering and my billing address is the same as the sender address.

Hopefully, Cristina will have a solution for me.

By _Blackjack on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 10:47 pm: Edit

I find in interesting that the entire site has been very well translated into English, except the warning to put your card number in without spaces. If I didn't know enough Latin to decipher the important words, I'd have been really confused.

But, yeah, I've gotten the RUFUSED message twice. Both times I wrote them to double-check before re-submitting the order, and both times they had the record of the attempt, but the order hadn't gone through. A double-order shouldn't be a problem, but you can always email them to be sure. Christina usually gets back to me within the day.

By Webfly on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 09:58 pm: Edit

Also, make sure your credit card number has no spaces. By the way, I have had no problems sending my purchases to some other place than my home address. That's not the problem. It's something simple. Don't worry. Just ask Cristina.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 07:57 pm: Edit

Another fine reason to shop 7-11.

HEAD_PROSTHESIS enters the store and approaches
the Mulleto Sporting, red armed, mouth breathing, 16 year old clerk...

"Yes, I'll take the ribbed rough riders, a box of swisher sweets, cherry slurpee, a Code Red, and could I get a $200 Amex card please. Thanks. OHMYGOD Look at that zit!!! That looks like it really hurts. Here let me get it!"

By Jk_Deth on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 07:47 pm: Edit

When that refusal happened, you didnt happen to use a different shipping address than the billing address on the credit card did you. Most places will refuse a charge unless shipping and billing address match.
Personally I dont have a credit card, what I use is an Amex 'Internet Shopping Card' purchased from the 7-11. Costs 4% more, but you can plan a purchase in advance and hav eonly enough money on the card for the purchase, no real worries if someone steals teh card number.

By Frater_Carfax on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 04:43 pm: Edit

Don't freak

I have had this happen to me before- I have found that if you push the back key on the browser and retry it, it eventually kicks through- I don't think there is any risk of "multiple purchases" of the same thing, it hasn't happened to me can always check with Cristina when they send you an email confirming receipt of your order.

By Tavarua on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 04:03 pm: Edit

Alright, I'm pissed,

I went through the entire process, five bottles, 2 spoons, name, address, blah, blah, blah. After entering the credit card info, I get "Transaction Refused", 102. What the fuck. And of course, the reason I got was in Spanish. What's goin on here.

By _Blackjack on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 02:31 pm: Edit

The only real vulnerability to credit card purchases over the web is if the merchant keeps the credit card numbers on their online server. This is a horribly bad idea and a few merchants (Egghead) have gotten stung for it. Check the fine print, and if the merchant gives you a choice, choose NOT to let them store your credit card info for "easy" ordering. The service SC uses does not keep your number on file.

The actual TRANSMISSION is pretty secure. Nobody is going to put in the super-computer time to break a 128-bit key just for a credit-card number. It's not worth the cost.

The only other place you might be vulnerable is the COMPUTER you are using. If others have access to it, it is possible to install keystroke-logging software that will record everything you type. If you have an always-on internet connection (cable modem, DSL, etc.) for the love of Pete GET A FIREWALL. It is scary how many attempts I get every day by people trying to access my IP address. If somebody gets remote access to your system, they can install "bots" to record keystrokes, steal or destroy your data, or even use your system as a platform for other hacks. has a free firewall program called Zone Alarm that is easy to use and pretty much totally blocks outside access. It is for Windows systems. If you are running Unix, well, you probably know all of this already.

But credit card purchases over the internet are still as safe as any other credic-card purchase. The one time I got my card-number stolen, it was by a disgruntled employee of an otherwise good company. Fortunately, he tried to use a card that I had already cancelled. I didn't have to pay, but, because he was overseas, he got away with it.

Oh, most credit card require that you dispute any charges within 60 or 90 days of the charge. I learned this when the first DSL company I tried to use folded without installing me. Unfortunately, it takes 2 months to install DSL under normal circumstances, so by the time I knew something was wrong, it was too late. Fortunately, I managed to strong-arm them into sending me a refund before they disappeared entirely. It's amazing what you can acomplish by hiting REDIAL enough times...

By Spm on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 01:07 pm: Edit

This is a quote from Visa's Web Site
"When you use your Visa card to shop online, in a store, or anywhere... you're protected from unauthorized use of your card or account information. With Visa's new Zero Liability policy*, your liability for unauthorized transactions is $0 - you pay nothing! Visa takes online security very seriously so you can focus on your shopping."

Not shure about the star "*". It probably means that you have to jump through a bunch of hoops before they will take charge off your charge card.

The Visa/Mastercard rules have always been that a signature is need to make purchases but Visa and other credit card companies have created new rules allowing merchants to take your card by phone/internet. You can always dispute a charge and as long as you are willing to jump through all the paper work hoops and waste hours of your time. They will give you your money back as long as the merchant can't provide a Signature or Delivery slip Signature. Visa does make it a real pain for the customers to go through all the steps to get there money back (Weeks) but this also protects the merchants.

There are better solutions to stolen card numbers available but the credit card companies are not willing to change because it is expensive and also many of us do not even look at our bills, we just pay them! This is why we are all paying the high percentage rates which covers their ass. I do think things are going to change, because many people are demanding better security of their personal information.

By Heiko on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 12:12 pm: Edit

My Mastercard number was once stolen. I have only paid with it on the net about 2 times - every time it said "secure transmission" and every time it was a respectable company that actually delivered what I had ordered (soft-/hardware).
I don't know who stole the info and how he did it, but suddenly I found amounts of 20 to 60$ purchases on my bill that I didn't know of. The amount was paid to different untraceable internet "companies". I had to deny every single one of them to my bank with a letter and my signature to make the bank cancel these payments. In the end, I had to return the card to the bank, because I didn't want to write them a new letter every month, claiming I did not want to pay several bills.
Two months after I had returned my card (so I didn't own any credit card any more), I got a bill from the bank over 120$ that was paid with "my" card - I had to write a letter again telling them I didn't own a credit card anymore.

I don't have a credit card anymore because it's pretty useless in Germany/Europe. Most stores don't accept it, but all stores accept the EC card, which is much less expensive than any MC/Visa. It is safer also, because it is protected by a PIN code, you actually have to have the card (with the chip on it) and enter your pin code into a machine. That's the reason you can't pay with it on the net...

I pay my SC bills in advance (risky, but not with SC) with European bank transfer. Costs about 8 Euro or so.

By Tavarua on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 11:35 am: Edit

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a secure server, as the name would lead you to believe. And anyone who has any talent in the area of code-breaking, every hacker out there, will tell you that it would take less than twenty minutes to break any encryption put in front of them, with relatively simple software. Also the fact that I am purchasing Absinthe from Spain, may be a little harder to get insurance backing from my credit card company. But I guess you just have to gamble sometimes. Thank you for the input, as I am only somewhat knowledgeable in this area through previous dealings. Maybe the whole system has been changed. Thanks again.

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 11:26 am: Edit

I was under the impression that it wasn't as simple as simply disputing a fraudulent claim and Visa etc would remove it. I believe that this only strictly applies to domestic purchases carried out in this way and that with international purchases, credit card companies are under no legal obligation to act in this way. I know that if you are on holiday abroad and your credit card is used fraudulently your credit card company are under no legal obligation. If they do act honourablyo, they do so voluntarily at their own discretion. However since I don't exactly regard banks as benevolent, compassionate entities with my best interests at heart I tend to avoid payment by credit card over the net for purchases originating outside the UK.

If I'm wrong (as I may well be) does anyone know the exact legislation governing such international transactions by credit card over the net? I'd be very interested.

By Spm on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 11:06 am: Edit

I just made a purchase last week and you can use your credit card. You need to fill out the information it asks you on the first check out page, then you click and go to a review your order page, then click and you can enter your credit information and press the submit button (Orders are sent secure).

I took another look at the site and they have a valid secure certificate through You can check out this information yourself by clicking on the little lock at the bottom of your browser when you are on the order screen.

SC site also state this information on the credit card page: "You are introducing your data in a SSL secure server that encripts the data and that prevents any third person of having access to them. Once made the payment and having obtained the bank´s approval or denial, we do not keep the credit card data anywhere and they are deleted from any computer file"

It does seem that there is a place for an account number on their online order form. I don't think they are going to give any of us billing terms (10-30 days) It must be for other venders.

Making a purchase online using your credit card is one of the more secure ways of using your credit card. The most common Credit Card fraud is made when you make a purchase by cell phone, at restaurants, gas stations. Although Visa/MasterCard allow payment over the internet/phone without a signature; if a charge shows up on a your card you can dispute it (up to 180 days) and unless the merchant can provide some proof of delivery slip signature or signature, Visa/Master will take the charges off your card. All types of business keep credit card information on file. How secure is there place of business. Someone could break in and steal written records. There is no such think as absolute secure but the 128 bit encription is way more secure then handing your card to a waitress.
(I am unshure about debit Visa cards. I am not shure how the rules work you would have to ask your bank)

By Tavarua on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 11:00 am: Edit

Good enough for me.

By _Blackjack on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 10:22 am: Edit

They only ship airmail to the US, I think, so you are stuck with paying by credit card. Don't worry about "putting your card on the net," tho. The Spiritscorner site uses a well-respected secure processing center, and I think no human ever even sees your number. You are far more likely to have your card number stolen by the waitress at your local restaurant or by somebody listening in on your phone. Buying on the net is safe. Just do it.

By Tavarua on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 09:04 am: Edit

Hey fellas,

Simple question here. Paying for my order. There is an indication on the site that UPS and Airmail do not accept COD's. However, on their order page, it is not required that you give your credit card number? How do you pay. I don't like putting my card on the net, so my question is, is there another way to instantly order without using a card. Do they bill you later, or is there another method of shipment that allows COD's, that is recieved in a reasonable amount of time. If nay on all of these, how secure is their order form, I hate the idea of beaming my card number across the world. I probably would not be so paranoid if I have not been the victim of a similiar type of fraud in the past, it really sucks. I really would like serious responses to this inquiry. Thank you.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation