More buyer beware on ebay?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:More buyer beware on ebay?
By Absinthedrinker on Monday, July 24, 2000 - 05:19 am: Edit

Don I have no desire to debate ebay policies with you or anyone else. I started a thread on an absinthe related item that just happened to be on ebay. I got some useful feedback on that item both on and off the board. I think it was you that started to go off topic on optical and photographic items and your disenchantment with ebay. I am sure you have traded far more big ticket items than I have and I'm sorry you got burned, however for many people living outside of France ebay is the easiest way to get hold absinthe collectibles and this group is the best way to get information on specific items.

naively yours

Absinthedrinker

By Don Walsh on Sunday, July 23, 2000 - 10:44 am: Edit

Absinthedrinker, if you wish to debate eBay polcies, pls take this private. My email address is below. I think you are naive and I doubt you have traded much volume on eBay. As I have. I wasn't selling/buying $2 beanie babies. I was selling items varying from hundreds to thousands of dollars each.

One of the problems with so called Feedback Forum: until recently things were freer, but now 'feedback' is restricted to a given transaction. Another problem: feedback is UNWEIGHTED for value. If you have 100 transactions that went well for $1000 each but burn someone for a $10 deal (or just encounter a crotchety asshole) the effect is the same.

Anyway all of this is off topic. If you wish to make eBay's case to me, good frigging luck, do it in private. As one who has been burned as a buyer for thousands of dollars on eBay -- I'm outa there. CAVEAT EMPTOR! You are better off swimming with salt water crocodiles.

By Absinthdrinker on Sunday, July 23, 2000 - 03:39 am: Edit

That seems a bit harsh Don. I have bought and sold absinthe related items on and off for just over a year. You learn who to trust and who is a phony. The ability to leave feedback on buyers and sellers acts as a good self regulating mechanism. I've sometimes been amazed at what people will bid for but no one is forcing them, one person's junk is another person's collectable. In our house we always advertise on ebay now rather than heading for the municiple tip ;-)

Absinthedrinker

By Don Walsh on Saturday, July 22, 2000 - 05:06 am: Edit

In 1999 I bought and sold $30,000 worth of Nikon cameras and microscopes and accessories mostly on eBay. The bullshit factor on eBay is high in EVERY category, and not just absinthe acoutrements.

I no longer collect Nikon. I sold off my collection to finance this absinthe manufacturing business.

I no longer trade on eBay. It's a sucker game. Nothing more than an electronic flea market. Too many shysters, too many ripoffs, and eBay's alleged protection of its buyers is all blue smoke and mirrors. They protect the sellers. That's who pay them.

Example: go read the conditions under which a seller can be sanctioned by Safe harbor for auction nonperformance.

That's when you pay the seller and they ship NOTHING.

eBay won't blacklist a seller except for CHRONIC nonperformance. Merely ripping off 1, 2, 3, n number of buyers isn't enough. It has to be CHRONIC.

In short eBay SUCKS.

By malhomme on Friday, July 21, 2000 - 09:31 pm: Edit

I'm about to have an empty Deva bottle to sell. VERY RARE!!!

(the absinthe, that is rare, when the bottle is empty. This product may only be sold to complete dumbasses)

By Chrysippvs on Friday, July 21, 2000 - 11:52 am: Edit

I may sale repros on E-bay but I also sale original absinthe items as well..and they are real..

J

By Absinthé on Friday, July 21, 2000 - 11:37 am: Edit

Hi nice to have found this corner of fellows absintheurs joined in absinthe's forum and discusion, all I know is do not let the commerce or any company fool you on absinthé ware, because the real stuff is NOT for sale. All the things you see in this so called auctions are either reproductions or new items. But whatever is your choice I hope everybody enjoied cause Absinthé is one of the most delicate and forbidden pleasures a human sole can enjoy!

Salud!

Absinthé.

By The Dark One on Friday, July 21, 2000 - 08:56 am: Edit

Greetings,
Ah yes buyer beware!! A truer statement concerning ebay has never been uttered. Perhaps it is just me but when I see an $8.00 Absente glass set going for $26.50 I cant help but cringe at the lack of integrity people as a whole seem to have. Now I'm sure someone will tell me about the American Way, or perhaps people think it's an uninformed buyers problem but according to thier ad these are *rare & hard to find*. Once again I feel compeled to thank this group for all the information it has provided because without this forum I probably would have been one of the people biding 27.00 on an 8 dollar item. Sorry for the rant but intentional deceptions bother me.

By Chrysippvs on Friday, July 21, 2000 - 07:13 am: Edit

It does seem to be missing a bottom part. See where there are the two holes at the bottom there should be a little platform for the sugar to site upon and as the water runs over it ir runs down on horizontal planks into the glass. So it is missing a part yes. But it is still a very nice item for a collector and could be easliy repaired and made functional with just a piece of metal.

Hope it helps

Justin

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, July 21, 2000 - 06:42 am: Edit

Do any of you have enough experience with absinthe accoutriments to be able to say whether the individual fountain being offered on ebay (item=383823201) is in working order? There is a fairly detailed picture but I have never seen one in action. The reason I ask is that I received an annonymous email from someone telling me it was missing some parts and wouldn't work, but maybe that person wanted to buy it for themselves.

Absinthedrinker

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation