Damn, I need another absinthe!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Damn, I need another absinthe!
By Tavarua on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 11:54 am: Edit

Marc,

EEEEEAAAAASSSSYYYY. While I did know that they were rooted in DC, I did not know they started as a Jazz band. You have to admit it is a strange transgression.

By Pataphysician on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 10:52 am: Edit

I don't think Jazzboes should be barred from playing Punk. How 'bout James Chance?

You will know the poseurs by their sound. I don't sense any lack of authenticity in Bad Brains' sound. I've been a fan since way back and their first album is one I still listen to often. It's one of only a handful from the early 80's that still sounds fresh.

By _Blackjack on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 10:17 am: Edit

I was very pleased whe I saw that VH-1's History of Punk documentary gave Bad Brains their props. But Marc is right, they were jazz fusion musicians at heart, which explains how they could rock that hard and still stay that tight, musically. Hardcore had few real virtuosos.

Their shows were always great fun, too, because of the mix they attracted. Every once in a while, a nazi-skin would stumble in from Pennsylvania, not realizing the band was black, and so was half the audience...

By Marc on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 10:00 am: Edit

Bad Brains started out as a jazz band in Washington D.C. in the mid-70s. They evolved into a hardcore/reggae band. I saw them many times in NYC in the late 70s. I know what I'm saying.

By Tavarua on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 07:59 am: Edit

Bad Brains is hardcore reggae, no where near Jazz. Maybe you are thinking of another group or maybe they was also a Jazz group in the seventies that went by Bad Brains.

By Verawench on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 07:52 am: Edit

What's a hepcat? A feline with hepatitis?

By Pataphysician on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 05:30 am: Edit

However, Prince Jazzbo is great (and so are the Bad Brains, btw).

By Marc on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 10:43 pm: Edit

Jazzbo is hepcat talk for a pseudo-jazz musician.

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 09:37 pm: Edit

What's a Jazzbo? It's not in the Squiggley Quo Reference Manual nor is it in the Book of Woofie.

By Marc on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 09:26 pm: Edit

I saw Bad Brains in 79. Bunch of jazzbos posing as punks.

By Tavarua on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 08:28 pm: Edit

Bad Brains throws some crazy shit. I saw them in 94' when they toured with the Beasties. They come highly recommended.

By Uncle on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 08:23 pm: Edit

Skip the cult,skip the Iggster and do your self a big favor and see Soul Brains(bad brains).They deliver 120%! Cheers! Uncle

By Pataphysician on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 07:04 pm: Edit

My advice is: skip The Cult and see Iggy. He's all bass, midrange and treble. The only technical difficulties were the afore-mentioned amp-humping and at the end when he smashed his mic to smithereens and sent the mic-stand sailing into the monitor speaker.

By Marc on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 06:45 pm: Edit

the new Cult album is generic biker rock. It doesn't have the hippie mysticism and psychedelia
of their early stuff. Or the hooks. The band looks good, Ian Astbury seems healthy. As to whether they still have magic in them. I couldn't tell, the sound was too awful. All low end rumble and distorted mid-range.

By Frater_Carfax on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 06:27 pm: Edit

Marc

what is the new material like?

I saw The Cult last time they were in Australia prior to their most recent break up and was really disappointed..to be fair they seemed to have technical difficulties, but it seemed like a less than entheusiastic performance on their part...

Have they adopted yet another new image? (don't mind my cynicism)

By Pataphysician on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 05:12 pm: Edit

That's why I collect bootlegs.

By Marc on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 11:49 am: Edit

Its too bad Iggy's records don't come close to
capturing the power and glory of his live shows.

By Pataphysician on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 11:45 am: Edit

Yes, Heiko, you should drink yourself to death for missing that one. I saw Iggy in a small club last month and I'm still not over the experience. The band was drum, bass and one guitar, an absolute brain-sweeping wall of noise. No slow songs, no solos, no pauses, and volume way past the legal limit. Old Stooges stuff blended seamlessly into stuff from his upcoming album. Iggy did lots of stage diving and his patented 12-year-old-autistic-on-meth style dancing. The crowd lovingly showered him with debris and Iggy glared-down each and every member of the audience. He unzipped his pants, straddled the Marshall amp stack and humped it until it fell over. Yes, indeed, it was as the radio says: Rock that REALLY ROCKS!!"

Very inspiring. I hope I'm that fit when I'm 54.

By Marc on Saturday, June 23, 2001 - 05:50 pm: Edit

I saw The Cult last night at House Of Blues in Vegas. They were good but the sound system sucked.

By Heiko on Saturday, June 23, 2001 - 05:42 pm: Edit

I just found out I missed the hell of a line-up on the southside festival (some rock festival, only like one hour drive from here) today...
I forgot that it was this weekend and didn't call back some friends who went there... now I'm going to drink myself to death, I missed -in a row- the following:

-Fantomas
-Tool
-Manu Chao
-Iggy Pop

and of course the fun of drunken anarchy on the campsite...

- "garcon, one more bleue please" - "we only have blanche" - "all right, just gimme some alcohol..."

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation