I need a goon

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: I need a goon
By Netsurfer on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 07:54 pm: Edit

What you have to do is file a john doe civil suit for harassment and serve the offending ISP with a warrant for the information. Most ISP's refuse to give out information without a warrant. Many companies use this method to find out info on "anonymous" posts that they suspect are coming from employees. Its sleazy dealing with land-sharks but sometimes its a necessary evil. Once you get his info you can go for a protection order against him.

By Verawench on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 08:01 am: Edit

Thanks Wormwood but I seriously don't want to do anything violent or illegal.. just finding the guy would be nice.

The p.i. my sister hired didn't turn out anything so we're stuck complaining to the stalker's ISP. If they are able to track him down and shut down his service, then that's a start.

Meanwhile he keeps threatening my sister and bothering my parents.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 08:01 am: Edit

Damn, I was about to modify some jap-anim pointing a gun with Vera's face but she (wisely) removed her picture.

Ho, and by the way Vera, I was expecting something funny when clicking on your ''are you a stalker?'' link but nothing happened...I'm disapointed :-(

( and NO I'm not a stalker so no need to send my IP to your ''must send a bottle of Hill`s to'' list ).
Wolf.

By Wormwood on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 06:57 am: Edit

First I would like to apoligize for this thread's direction I was offering Vera some good advice and did not mean to set off a gun control debate on the goon thread. That said I would like make a few points:

1) Statistically almost nobody (except police officers) ever gets shot by others who have taken their guns. In fact in the USA over half of all gun deaths every year are suicides. Yes technically they were shot with their own guns in their homes, but they pulled the trigger themselves and it was not an accident. Pro gun-ban groups call all firearm suicides in this catagory "accidents".

2) In most areas the response time on a 911 call would not prevent someone from killing and/or raping you. In fact in many home invasions the criminal takes your phone off the hook to prevent any 911 calls. But, thankfully the USA has one of the lowest rates of home invasion robberies in the world. (could it be all the guns?)

3) Rosey O'Donnel protects her children using armed security gaurds and guns. She just belives you and your children are not as important.

4) Don't shoot anyone if you have had any absinthe to drink. Remember what happended the last time. The "absinthe murderer" of the last century had over 14 drinks and only two were absinthe, but it got blamed for the crime.

5) Guns are not that complex, I could teach some one to maintain, operate and shoot most guns safely and accurately in about 2 hours at the most.

6) Do not mail any one Hills or poisoned liquor as revenge especially if they are an asshole. He takes a drink and dies, then everyone who knows him will take his booze and have a big party. If everyone who knows him hates him and want to celebrate you might kill 50 or 60 people.

7) You do not need to hire Don for this, thats overkill. I heard a story here about Don walking into a New Orleans bar once with more firepower than you would need to fight a war with a small country. He is without a doubt the most well armed member of the absinthe fourm.

8) "Defend you self with a blank gun with a lazersight." If you would be stupid enough to try this, I have a better idea (your relatives will thank me after you are killed there will be more money in the will). Save about $500 and just tape a lazer pointer onto a cap gun, it will sound the same and be much cheaper.

9) Don't use thermite to vandalize a car. You will be begging the cops to catch you and might accidently burn down half a block while your at it. Use a hammer, the damage will be the same but everyone has a hammer.

P.S. It burns very hot, I made a little cup of thermite once when I was a kid and lit it off in my little brothers sandbox. It left behind a baseball size chunk of fused metal and melted sand.

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 08:05 pm: Edit

You're right that 80,000 to 4 million is pretty mushy. I use it to demonstrate that even the LOWBALL estimate is still a very big number. The 2.5 million figure is very well agreed upon by criminologists. In fact, one well known, anti-gun criminologist, Marvin Wolfgang, has been quoted saying that he wishes he could dispute the 2.5 million number, but the methodology was just too solid:

"What troubles me is the article by Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz. The reason I am troubled is that they have provided an almost clear-cut case of methodologically sound research in support of something I have theoretically opposed for years, namely, the use of a gun in defense against a criminal perpetrator...I have to admit my admiration for the care and caution expressed in this article and this research.
Can it be true that about two million instances occur each year in which a gun was used as a defensive measure against crime? It is hard to believe. Yet, it is hard to challenge the data collected."

It is hard to deny that guns DO serve as an effective means of self-defense. If one wishes to argue that this utility does not ballance the risk to which their presence may contribute, that is fine. But to deny that guns are used frequently, by everyday people, to defend themselves and their property, is to deny obvious fact.

http://www.guncite.com/gcdgklec.html

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 03:05 pm: Edit

Looks to me like a cross between Mr. Spock and Bevis.

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 03:02 pm: Edit

"Between 80,000 and 4 million" is a pretty mushy statistic. No matter, the fantasy is much, much larger than the reality.

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 02:57 pm: Edit

wow, that goon looks remarkably like my pal in Austin, Michael. I mean, except not in a gold lame' dress and Cleopatra wig...

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 02:52 pm: Edit

Quote:

I meant the fantasy that I've heard from practically everyone I know who owns a gun: that they're going to battle that inevitable home invasion. I've heard plenty of grown men talk a lot of foolishness.

That "foolishness" happens between 80,000 and 4 million times a year, as I've pointed out several times now. I sincerely hope it never happens to me, but it has happened to people I know, so it is wrong to speak of defensive gun use as if it is some macho fantasy.

By Panks on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 02:26 pm: Edit

The Gaza Strip or Texas...

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 01:12 pm: Edit

Sheesh! Where do you all live? The Gaza Strip?!

By Artemis on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 01:06 pm: Edit

"Well, according to your study, there were 12 accidental shootings to 9 defensive shootings.
So I was right. Epilogue to story"

You were not right. Here's what you said:

"More people are shot with their own guns than are saved by them."

I said that's not true, and as I pointed out, you don't necessarily have to SHOOT someone to defend yourself with a gun. "Saved by them" is not the same thing as "defensive shootings". How many times did someone prevent violence to himself because he merely displayed a gun, compared to shooting himself by accident?

The picture you paint of people shooting themselves by accident illustrates a nation of morons who actually need those warnings on buckets so children won't drown themselves, or warnings on lawnmowers that tell you not to put your fingers under the deck while it's running. I sincerely hope it's not that way.

By Verawench on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 01:00 pm: Edit

"Here's a goon:"

Hmm... A bit skinny for my goon taste. Looks mean though! Thanks Rimbaud :P

By Tavarua on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 12:57 pm: Edit

Pataphysician:

"I meant the fantasy that I've heard from practically everyone I know who owns a gun: that they're going to battle that inevitable home invasion. I've heard plenty of grown men talk a lot of foolishness."

This is foolishness. Whether or not your friends told you this, I can garauntee you they don't mean it. People that say they hope someone breaks into their house so they can blow them away, are the same people that shit themselves when someone steps up to them, after they have talked shit. No one wants to hear that window break or those ambigious steps in the middle of the night, especially if they have a family. Half the people that experience this, freeze and play dead until the sound goes away. Anyone who grabs the gun and heads for the fight, would do the same with a baseball bat or various blunt object. I would rather have my P220, loaded with Glazier Safety Slugs. But I can garuantee you, no sane individual, no matter how ballsy they are, wishes it to.

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 12:57 pm: Edit

>Also, Pata, if you meant to imply that I'm a Charles Bronson fetishizing gun nut, then you really are a moron

Are you callin' me out, Pilgrim?

By Artemis on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 12:56 pm: Edit

"I meant the fantasy that I've heard from practically everyone I know who owns a gun: that they're going to battle that inevitable home invasion. I've heard plenty of grown men talk a lot of foolishness."

Okay, I've heard plenty of that too. But I'm far from fantasising about, or desiring that situation myself. In fact, thanks to the odious restrictions placed upon gun owners by the government, I question whether I'll even be able to GET to my gun in time if I ever do need it.

But you were still wrong when you repeated myths perpetrated by the anti-gun crowd as though they were facts. One of those myths is that women are somehow going to be disarmed by a thug even when they brandish a gun. I know a 60-year old woman, older and weaker and no doubt smaller than Vera, who packs a snubnose .38. She might get her neck broken before she can get it out, but once she gets it out, it's not going to be taken away by anybody except someone with one or more .38 bullets in his ass.

By Rimbaud on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 12:49 pm: Edit

Here's a goon: goon

By Anatomist1 on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Fuck the studies. If a study showed that more people set themselves on fire with oxyfuel torches than made good welds, would that have any bearing on me? No, because I know my equipment, and I know how, where, and why to use it. Statistics might be useful for determining public policies, but when it comes to making decisions as an individual, I'll take experience, reason, and sensibility every time. Having a weapon in a dire self-defense situation gives you more options in how to respond to that situation. Period. If you're the kind of person who is going to use a gun as an empty threat, and then stand there quaking while someone walks up to you and takes it out of your hand, then you should know that about yourself and not buy one... not consult statistics. (If unsupervised children are ever anywhere in your house, you should also think long and hard about it.)

Also, Pata, if you meant to imply that I'm a Charles Bronson fetishizing gun nut, then you really are a moron. I take my security and that of the people and animals close to me seriously. The fact that you automatically caricaturize such a position as a silly cliche reveals much about your thought processes. If calling 911 and waiting is your only plan in case of emergency, I don't see why you're giving security advice to anyone.

K.

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 12:29 pm: Edit

>I ran this dicussion by my friend the average American gun enthusiast, and he responded:
"Juvenile gun fantasies?"...

I meant the fantasy that I've heard from practically everyone I know who owns a gun: that they're going to battle that inevitable home invasion. I've heard plenty of grown men talk a lot of foolishness.

When I was a kid the family arsenal included a 30-06 scope rifle, a 30-30 Winchester lever-action, an M-1 carbine (Dad had some story that when he was discharged from the Army 'they would let you buy your rifle'), a double barrel 410, a pump 12 guage, a .357 magnum pistol, Ruger and Colt automatic pistols, a Colt revolver, and various .22 rifles. When I was a teenager my friends and I had lots of fun and games with them. And we talked a lot of big talk about how we'd blow bad guys away. But then I grew up. I still keep the revolver because it's a great machine that's fun to operate, but I don't fantasize about using it on people.

Then again, if Jesse James comes through my window, I'm ready.

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 12:27 pm: Edit

Quote:

Well, according to your study, there were 12 accidental shootings to 9 defensive shootings. So I was right.

Accidental shootings != shooting your son because you think he's a burglar. Most accidental shootings take place because the individual is not following basic gun-safety rules. Guns do not just "go off." Gun accidents are still a minor cause of accidental death. Having a pool increases your risk of accidental death more than owning a gun.

As I said before, this is a bad use of statistics. You are also _much_ more likely to die from a non-gun accident than you are to kill someone in self defense, with or without a gun. The statistics aren't related enough to be comperable. If you could demonstrate that having a gun in the home created a significant increase in the overall chance of being murdered (which, in these statistics, it doesn't) or of accidental death (which, again, it doesn't) then you might have an argument. You are comparing apples and oranges here.

If you follow gun safety rules, aren't suicidal, and don't cohabit or associate with criminals, the likelyhood that you will be shot with your own firearm is pretty slim.

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 11:54 am: Edit

>You repeated lies; I referred you to facts; you then demonstrated your ability to misrepresent them (as Blackjack pointed out) but did >nothing to refute them. You were wrong; I called you on it, end of story.
>

Well, according to your study, there were 12 accidental shootings to 9 defensive shootings. So I was right. Epilogue to story

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 11:50 am: Edit

>>A more likely scenario is that they'll shoot their son sneaking in the window after a latenight party.

>Except that the statistics do not bear that out.
The real source of home gun deaths are suicides, followed by deliberate murders by members of the houshold who usually have an existing history of crime and violence.
>

Well, according to your study, there were 12 accidental shootings to 9 defensive shootings. So I was right.

By Artemis on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 11:44 am: Edit

It didn't work. Kallisti, if I had a dog that functioned as well as this board does, I'd shoot him.

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 11:39 am: Edit

Scooby,

If you're surprised to see that Marc has a heart then you'd be in a minority. Despite his prickly nature he is a man with much compassion for his fellow man (as are some other prickly forumites I can think of).

By Artemis on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 11:33 am: Edit

1,Serious Truck

By Scoobydoo on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 11:27 am: Edit

Good luck Vera,

but my biggest surprise on this post has to be that of Marc....I can't believe the ole' goon actually has a heart! Damn, I must say it's so nice to see people bonding together to help another person in need. And well, IMHO, I sure as hell didn't see marc in the mix...but, we are all wrong at one point...
you are not all bad marc...
eric

By Artemis on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 11:27 am: Edit

I ran this dicussion by my friend the average American gun enthusiast, and he responded:
"Juvenile gun fantasies?" Coming from someone who's only gun is a black powder pistol, that seems a bit odd. After all, why does ANYONE own one of those pieces of crap? My opinion is that 99.9% of them own them because of Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Grizzly Adams and Civil War fantasies."

Good point. He also furnished a picture of his truck. Let's see if it will post.

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 11:12 am: Edit

Quote:

A more likely scenario is that they'll shoot their son sneaking in the window after a latenight party.

Except that the statistics do not bear that out.
The real source of home gun deaths are suicides, followed by deliberate murders by members of the houshold who usually have an existing history of crime and violence.

Quote:

If they're really in that much danger that they have to be ready to shoot at anytime, and if their police force is so ineffectual, then they should consider moving. If they can't move, they should get involved in their neighborhood and put pressure on for better policing.

A great many Americans live in rural areas where speedy police response is simply not going to happen. Moreover, very often the difference between safety and injury, rape or death is a matter of seconds. That is not enough time for the police to respond. And telling people to "move" is absurd, especially since those in high-crime areas are usually too poor to live elsewhere.

As I said, the estimates for defensive use of guns rage from 80,000 to 4 million per year times, with 2.5 million being the number with the strongest support. I think that rather speaks for itself.

Nearly half the housholds in the US own guns. These are not "gun fetishists" but everyday people.

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 10:53 am: Edit

Quote:

Artemis, you're wrong. What Pata said is 100% true. You can argue until you're blue in the face, it doesn't change the fact that what you're saying is totally false.

And who says they don't teach classical rhetoric in the schools these days...

"It isn't just contradiction."

"Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position."

"But it isn't just saying "No it isn't"."

"Yes it is."

"No it isn't, an argument is an intellectual process... contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says."

"No it isn't."

By Artemis on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 10:49 am: Edit

"...somehow I knew he wouldn't only post about absinthe topic...;-)"

I can live with people expressing opinions with which I don't agree; I don't feel called upon to refute them. But when people repeat lies, that's a different matter.

"It's all these juvenile gun fantasies that are bullshit. You watch too much TV."

As to the TV, you're talking about what you know not again. You have no clue how much TV I watch. As to gun fantasies, I can assure you that my guns are not antiques and the chance of somebody taking one away from me once I've deployed it is zero.
You repeated lies; I referred you to facts; you then demonstrated your ability to misrepresent them (as Blackjack pointed out) but did nothing to refute them. You were wrong; I called you on it, end of story.

I recommended NO course of action to Vera, nor do I advocate any particular one, with regard to the person harassing her family. I only suggested that she should seek out the truth rather than accept lies with regard to firearms.

As for Panks, feel free to contribute something, absinthe-related or otherwise, to this board some day. I won't hold my breath.

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 10:36 am: Edit

Whadda I tell ya?!

By Anatomist1 on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 10:28 am: Edit

A pump shotgun, sawed down to the legal minimum length with a pistol grip, is the gun to have for home defense. Load it with bird shot that doesn't stay clumped during flight. You don't have to aim too good, and the the sound of it being cocked is said to be all that's necessary most of the time. If you do have to shoot, the bad guy might not even die... just get hamburgered up a bit. Plus, you don't have to worry about stray bullets goin through walls and killing your family or the neighbors. If you have the determination to use it, anyone who says it won't help you defend your home is a moron. A high-strung dog is good too. No one could so much as breathe on one of my windows during the night without me hearing about it. Terriers are nature's alarm system.

I'm in Stephenville, TX right now, but I don't feel inclined to drive an extra 8 hours just to get shot at or go to jail. Marc and whoever said to wait it out are right. Make the guy think you're ignoring him and secretly find out as much as possible about him. Threatening, reacting, or fighting back in any way short of killing him will just escalate things. If he hasn't actually hurt anyone yet he's probably too much of chickenshit, unless you goad him or back him into a corner. Bore him and he'll move on.

K.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 10:28 am: Edit

Mundane...I avoid cops and lawyers like I avoid that pesky little gnomes that steal old people's teeth.

I would rather get an assault charge, or maybe breaking and entering, than deal with some redneck cop or a lawyer that will protect you as long as you sell your soul. But that's probably my youth talking, or that need for the old Ultra-violence, oh my brothers.

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 10:24 am: Edit

OK, statistics aside, here's what my common sense and personal experience tells me:

Most of these gun fetishists really hope that someone WILL break into their home so that they can play Charles Bronson. A more likely scenario is that they'll shoot their son sneaking in the window after a latenight party.

If they're really in that much danger that they have to be ready to shoot at anytime, and if their police force is so ineffectual, then they should consider moving. If they can't move, they should get involved in their neighborhood and put pressure on for better policing.

By Bjacques on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 10:11 am: Edit

I like Chrysippus's ideas, but only to take your mind off the mundane but more effective actions you're already taking. If you do #3, though, don't videotape your face and don't forget the toothbrush gag. Gets 'em every time.

Anyway, good luck. It's likely that by the time you've called the cops and talked to a lawyer (and had your sister change her email address), the guy will have lost interest. There's also a possibility that his antics will get him in worse trouble next time. Maybe you'll see it on "Cops."

By Tavarua on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 10:07 am: Edit

Artemis and Blackjack:

"You are correct sir."

Vera and Chrysippvs:

Thermite is extremely easy to get ahold of and yes the old thermite on the hood thing is great trick. I bought a brick at a sportsman show in Pennsylvannia five or six years ago. I really don't know why. I quess I figured it would be outlawed soon and I am just one of those guys that has to have something no one else does. Being that you are living in Texas, a sportsman's mecca, I can't imagine that it would be to hard to find a show there. One hint though, go to one of the smaller, shadier ones, not the heavily commercialized supershows, as you will probably strike out with the more "respectable" vendors.

By Panks on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 09:50 am: Edit

Artemis, you're wrong. What Pata said is 100% true. You can argue until you're blue in the face, it doesn't change the fact that what you're saying is totally false.

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 09:46 am: Edit

Quote:

Well according to your site [http://rkba.org/research/rkba.faq] it's about 4.5 to 1 more likely that you'll be shot with your own gun than a criminal would be. Like I said.

That's not what the statistic says. It says, in that very small sample, that there were 4.5 criminal homicides for every justifyable homicide in the home. Most of those criminal homicides were commited my members of the household who had previous criminal records. If you look at the same sample, the ratio of people murdered in their homes with something other than a gun, to that of people who killed someone in self-defense without a gun, the ratio is 12.5:1, and the overall ratio for criminal to justifyable homicides in the home is 7:1. Thus, you are simply more likely to be murdered in your own home, gun or not, than you are to kill someone in self defense.

You also missed the part where there are 2.5 MILLION occasions each year where a gun is used defensively without leading to a death. That statsti has been supported by many anti-gun criminologists. The LOWEST estimate of defensive gun use is STILL about 80,000 a year, far more than the number of gun murders.

As far as the effectiveness of guns as self defense, the DoJ statistics indicate that a person who resisted a robbery or assault using a gun is less likely to be injured than someone who resited without a gun or offered no reistance. If guns weren't useful for self defense all those police wouldn't be carrying them.

None of this has any impact on Vera's situation. If she isn't already trained and comfortable with the use of a gun, then this probably isn't the time to start. I just hate to see bad statistics.

By Perruche_Verte on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 09:24 am: Edit

Vera, when your sister talks to that lawyer, she might ask whether Mr. Rich Ex is at all vulnerable to a lawsuit right now for making this little slice of hell possible. Maybe not, but it's something to think about. Good luck with all this.

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 09:12 am: Edit

I'm a really effective goon, unfortunately I'm also many miles away. The only fellow I know down there (who I haven't heard from in years) is, at last report, working as a cross-dressing spoken-word artist in Austin. He is 6'7", but, unfortunately, he's built like an Etheopian bean-pole.

If you fail to find a local goon, tho, my superhero complex might be strong enough to convince me to make the trip....

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 09:02 am: Edit

hmmmm....great ideas to do to someone that is bothering you. All of these work great.

1.) Find their house, drive by in the middle of the night and throw a brick though the window with a note attached with a rubber band that reads "could have been dynamite."

2.) Take a piece of thermite (find how-to's online) online, place a magnesium ribbon (e-bay) into the thermite and place atop car hood near the center. Light with a blowtorch and leave. They will have a hole from the hood to the ground. Dripping 5000 degree metal tends to render a car useless.

3.) Videotape their house for several days, then break into their house while they are gone and video tape yourself (from the first person) going through all their stuff. Don't steal anything. If possible video tape them sleeping. Feudal Ninjas used to do similar things but leaving faimly seals on the persons pillow, or trimming the hair in a family sytle. Anyhow, import the tape to a CD, burn CD, send to person from 2 towns over.

4.) Hire Don or a Don equvilent to make them "understand you better."

5.) Go do it yourself.

As for making threats against women it sucks. But it doesn't suck any worse than threats against men.

We are all the same decaying organic matter.

I have seen more intimidating Latino women that any guys. Buy a gun with a laser-scope and blanks. That won't kill anyone, but they won't be happy. Certainly the next meal they have would be the best one of their life.....

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 08:55 am: Edit

>"More people are shot with their own guns than are saved by them."
>This is absolute horseshit. I would expect it from the so-called "news media", but from someone who claims to be a gun owner,
>

Well according to your site [http://rkba.org/research/rkba.faq] it's about 4.5 to 1 more likely that you'll be shot with your own gun than a criminal would be. Like I said.

The gun I currently own is a replica of an 1861 Army revolver. It's a percussion-cap blackpowder pistol. You have to put the powder in, put the ball in, tamp it down, crimp the cap and place it. It takes about 10 minutes to fully load it. Even so, I keep it disassembled in a locked strongbox on a high shelf in the basement. It's a lot of fun to use, but I wouldn't use it for defense! I wouldn't keep any gun for defense.

I've been around guns of all sorts all my life. I totally understand people's fascination with them, they're fun. It's all these juvenile gun fantasies that are bullshit. You watch too much TV.

I know each of my neighbors very well and the local police are very good. That's my defense.

By Verawench on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 08:34 am: Edit

"This is why the strippers I know use stage names."

She did use a stagename. It was just an awful fluke that the loon ran into my sister's wretched ex and was provided with every personal detail. This was about a week ago... so far only phone/emails threats.

By Verawench on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 08:29 am: Edit

lol, there's a thought, Wolf. Might even work better than rat poison.

Actually, we have quite a few people supporting us in this mess, wishing well, etc. I have full faith that such good "vibes" (whatever you want to call it), together with appropriate legal steps, can deter most psychopaths of this sort, along with their hateful energies. As Kallisti said, just as long as you don't feed into the psychosis.

By Perruche_Verte on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 08:27 am: Edit

I am not at all anti-gun, but I think at least part of what Pataphysician is saying is valid:

(1) use of firearms without proper training is dangerous.

(2) purchasing a firearm and beginning such training in the middle of a crisis that could involve a physical confrontation is therefore not recommended (see point 1).

Close contact with friends and neighbors - who may or may not have guns of their own - does sound like the key right now.

This is why the strippers I know use stage names.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 08:26 am: Edit

Ho, and by the way, I would suggest to forget about the gun. Just find his address and send him a bottle of wathever liquor he may like (something your sister should probably know) and add some poison to it. (Somehow I think it would suit your style better...).

Raspoutine.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 08:23 am: Edit

...somehow I knew he wouldn't only post about absinthe topic...;-)

Vera : if you ever ordered by mistake a bottle of Hill's, that may be the time to use it as a weapon ;-)...

By Artemis on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 08:02 am: Edit

"More people are shot with their own guns than are saved by them."

This is absolute horseshit. I would expect it from the so-called "news media", but from someone who claims to be a gun owner, it's not only wrong, but sickeningly hypocritical. Is there something special about you that qualifies you but not Vera to be armed? Are you Rosey O'Donnel (sp? who cares?) in "real life"?

There is no way to know how many people are saved from situations of violence or potential violence by firearms, because such incidents are rarely reported to anyone, and even if they are, they aren't publicized by the "news media" because it isn't the story they want to tell. In most such instances, the gun is merely shown, not fired.

"It's likely that the goon would get it away from you, and then he'd really be mad."

Worse horsehit than the first. It is NOT more likely. Vera, whether or not you're inclined to arm yourself, at least arm yourself with facts and not tired old horeshit.
See: rkba.org/research/rkba.faq

By Verawench on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 07:30 am: Edit

Thanks, all.

For now it's just verbal terrorism ("i'll fuck you up anyway i can", "you whore" etc) so I would definitely nor resort to gun purchase just yet. Besides, if any self-defense need be inflicted upon this slimeball, I will be happy to do it with my own bare hands.

My sister has talked to a lawyer... So far we can only warn the guy that if he doesn't lay off we will file harrassment charges (doable). It's a start I guess...

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 07:11 am: Edit

Although I am a gun owner myself, I would strongly advise you to skip #4. If you don't already have a gun and know how to use it, this is no time to start. And if you have a gun, it might be wiser to put it out of reach.

More people are shot with their own guns than are saved by them. It's likely that the goon would get it away from you, and then he'd really be mad. Would you swear on your life that you'd have what it takes to kill another human being without hesitation?

Leave the guns to the professionals, too. You can bet that a cop would be fully prepared to blow the goon away.

Instead:
4) Tell each neighbor around you what's going on, who to look for and to put 911 on speed-dial.

By Wormwood on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 05:08 am: Edit

Do what Teddy Roosevelt said: "Speak softly and carry a big stick".

Do not threaten him or try to have him beat up, this will only backfire on you and you will be the one that goes to jail. You are angry, please don't do anything stupid.

This is what I would do.

1) Quietly find out everything you can about this person. Know what he looks like, where he lives, works, what kind of car he drives. Hire a private detective if you can.

2) Go to the police, with your story. Get a restraining order(s) so he can at least be put in jail if/when he bothers you or your family again.

3) Unfortunatly strippers are the bait that jiggles in front of the bottom feeders of our society. Your sister needs to better protect her "real identity" from scum like this.

4) Protect yourself, get a gun and know how to use it and encourage your sister to do the same, you never know what someone like this will do, be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. I myself plan on living a long happy life and never having to kill anyone. I also plan on never being in a serious traffic accident, but I always wear my seat belt, just in case.

By Admin on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 12:05 am: Edit

Marc, you are so right.

When faced with intimidation what you do not want to do is feed their psychosis. But do hand the heavy over to the professionals, protect yourself and your family and light a candle. Let people know what is going on, don't isolate. And *do* take it seriously.

By Marc on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 12:00 am: Edit

Vera,

nobody deserves what you're going thru. Sadly it happens. All too often. You are not alone. 99% of the time nothing comes of this kind of harrassment. Stay cool. Contact the authorities.
Don't try to deal with this on your own. No goons.
Do not threaten these jerks. It will only empower them. Ignore them. Let the cops cops deal with this.

By Marc on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:56 pm: Edit

I just realized that last post is way off-topic. I was just trying to think if I knew someone in Austin who could be of help to Vera. Started thinking of my brother...

By Verawench on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:55 pm: Edit

i loathe this feeling of helplessness, like i cannot help my sister... this is why i've been scouring the web, trying to find something on this guy, trying to trace him further than his name or ISP but nothing. My sister will have to get a p.i. to try and find the guy's location.

i want to roar with rage... my family does not deserve to have a single moment of their lives upset by some lunatic on a power trip.

By Marc on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:54 pm: Edit

My half-brother lives in Austin. He's not a goon.
He's a pale-faced intellectual. Really brilliant.
He designs software. Got in on the ground level.
Made a shitload of money. Unfortunately, he's manic-depressive. Suffers alot. Struggles with it. He's a young man.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:47 pm: Edit

See Marc, I knew you really loved my Vera and would take care of her.

Vera, I told you he was sweet.

By Marc on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:45 pm: Edit

vera,

glad to be of service.

there's nothing more despicable than a man who threatens a woman with physical violence.

By Verawench on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:42 pm: Edit

bless you, Marc.

Let's hope these two stop at mere bullying.

It's frightful.. how some people get a power high from hatred...

By Marc on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:37 pm: Edit

my stepmother is a judge and lawyer in Houston. She specializes in domestic problems and violence against women. If this thing really starts to escalate , email me and I'll put you in touch with
her.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:36 pm: Edit

Eww! So there's two assholes involved! You do need a goon. Sounds like your dealing with a couple of goons.

By Verawench on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:32 pm: Edit

my sister was a stripper for a very short while.. she needed money for school.

she made the horrible mistake of giving the guy her email. he's threatened to rape her, etc.

things got worse.. by some miracle the fucker met with my sister's vengeful ex-boyfriend (a rich older guy) and was given my family's info.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:29 pm: Edit

Do you know who this person is?

By Verawench on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:28 pm: Edit

scared, not scarred.. well both actually.

By Verawench on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:28 pm: Edit

my sister's talking to a lawyer tomorrow. let's hope we can get a restraining order.

meanwhile this person, having found out my family's last name, is harassing my dear parents via email.

call me naive.. but my recent run-in with the slime of humanity has left me scarred and jilted.

By Marc on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:23 pm: Edit

I would think that finding a goon in Texas would be as easy as finding a queen on Castro Street.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:23 pm: Edit

I'll liquor up my cousin and send him down there. He's like 5'6" and full of fury. He'll hit him so hard his shirt tail'll fly up his back like a window blind!

By Verawench on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:22 pm: Edit

I just might.

::sigh:: k, thanks.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:20 pm: Edit

The little punk ass bitch!!!

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:20 pm: Edit

Just go kick his ass.

By Ariadnae on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:20 pm: Edit

But be careful how you pick him up. The payment he may want could be more than you're willing to offer...

By Verawench on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:18 pm: Edit

you're right, Head. i'm a little on edge i guess.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:15 pm: Edit

Going on a public forum probably isn't the best way to do it. I would go down to the local saloon preferably next to a prison or half way house and pick the biggest, roughest guy you see.

By Verawench on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:07 pm: Edit

How does one go about getting a goon? In Texas?

I need to have someone scared a bit. He is threatening my family.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation