Dons Walsh Cigars

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Dons Walsh Cigars
By Heiko on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 01:29 pm: Edit

Wormwood, go to Bali - you smell clove ("kretek") everywhere. Every male (women never smoke there) smokes them everywhere, even in the temple. The word "no smoking" doesn't even exist in their language ;-)
I smoked about 30 Gudang Garam a day when I was there three years ago. When you're used to it, other cigs won't taste good anymore when it's hot weather. One Balinese told us kretek cigs were good for your lungs especially in the monsun time when it rains all day long ;-)
To show off (like some rich Balinese we've met), you have to smoke Marlboro - these are more expensive...

By Wormwood on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 04:19 am: Edit

I smoked a clove cigarette once. It tasted like I got smoke inhalation fighting a fire at a spice company's wharehouse.

By Zeemanb on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Lurker barging into the conversation.......

The Cohibas produced this year have been great so far, specifically some of Siglo's like the #1, #2 and #5. Super dark wrappers, true Cohiba flavors. Problem is, Cohibas are either absolutely fantastic or just "bleh" in my experience, and the last 2 years have not been that great. For the money one usually has to pay for them, they can be quite a risk, but if you have a vendor who will check the box codes for you, 2001 has some of the best smokes I've had in the past 4 years. (Living in the midwestern U.S., I've been forced to do my homework with much trial and error.) Also, as the most popularly counterfeited brand, let the buyer beware.

With Cuba pretty much quadrupling their exports in the past 3 years, other popular brands besides the Cohibas have suffered, namely Montecristos and Bolivars. They are just making too damn many cigars, and there is no way to be a slave to quality control if that is the case. If you are going to buy Monte's any time soon, No. 2's from Oct-Dec 2000 have been getting rave reviews. I'd also recommend the Monte Especiales (Gran Panatela sized smokes are the greatest to smoke in the summer), and if you don't mind setting a box back for a year or so, the new limited edition Monte maduro robustos are going to be classics with a bit of age, in my opinion.

I've had my best luck buying smaller sizes in the less popular brands. Smaller sizes need less "perfect leaf" to look good, so quality isn't as much of an issue, and if you like stronger smokes, smaller is usually the way to go, since you are almost always going to get a higher concentration of ligero tobacco.

Some of my favorite picks in the last year would have to be.....St. Luis Rey Petite Coronas, Punch Punch Cabinet Selection, Rafael Gonzalez Coronas Extra, anything from Ramon Allones, Partagas Shorts, Hoyo du Gourmets, and this year's Cohiba Siglo 1's are honestly as wonderful as the face of God on a sunny day. If you have a dependable vendor, you are going to save some $$ by buying some of those less popular sticks, and the quality is definitely there. The more popular a cigar is, the more likely they are finding their way into the humidors of Big $ regular customers, which makes them harder to find and increases the likelihood of being a counterfeit. Counterfeits are rampant, and unless you are buying from a LCDH retail store, or a highly reputable reseller, you will eventually smoke some.

Again, just my opinions, but I do love my Cuban cigars from the UK or Switzerland, and my Cuban rum from Spiritscorner.

Jerry

By Verawench on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 09:38 am: Edit

Cloves are nice but for god's sake, don't inhale. I sucked down cloves like regular cigarettes for about 2 years and my lungs were ravaged.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 08:46 am: Edit

To those poor souls who can't afford the best big cigars, I strongly recommand The Davidoff Mini Cigarillos. It may look expensive to pay about 3$ for only a cigar the size of a cigarette but it`s definitly better than any other cigarrilo I tasted.

Another interesting smoke are the Sampoerna X-tra clove cigarettes, if you like the smell and the tongue numbing effect ;-)

By Dengar on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 04:38 am: Edit

What kind of Montecristos? My local dealer says that there have been quality problems with the Montecristo Especial No 2, so they won´t import any of those at the moment.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 04:29 am: Edit

When I can get them by handcarry from Havana ($5 each), it's Cohiba Esplndidos. The local price is about $40 each. No thanks.

The problem with the top Cuban name brands is that they are often knocked off so buying them requires the same sort of care that buying La Bleue in Switzerland does.

My source is a senior Swiss diplomat for both. He has indicated that the Cohibas are drying up (I mean becoming unavailable) and will be bringing me some Montecristos instead. One cannot complain.

I have previously received both the glass top and cardboard top Cohibas, the glass tops are older production, and more commonly encountered as fakes.

Other cigar afficianados pls correct errors and ommisions...

By Dengar on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 10:11 am: Edit

Don, what was your favorite Cigar brand again? I know you've mentioned it before but I'm to lazy to browse through all the old threads... Sorry.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation