Spanish home brew

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Spanish home brew
By Simonsuisse on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 03:17 pm: Edit

Apparently you can now buy La Bleue in the Bluebird bar in London know? The bar owner at the agency i'm working at gets it in La Fee bottles.
Sound's very suspicious to me. Thought i'd mention it though.

By Simonsuisse on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 03:13 pm: Edit

I don't know Ekmass.
He's probably right. I have an English Driving licence. One thing's for sure though and that's the fact that car insurance in the UK is fucking extortion. I think it's the highest in the world. Leaves me a couple of hundred £ short every month!

By Tavarua on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 02:29 pm: Edit

The old Diplo resell. Marvelous my good fellow.

By Ekmass on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 01:51 pm: Edit

Hey Simon, this is off topic but I gotta ask. I work with a Dane and he claims that the tax on a new car there is 100%. Is that true? The reason I ask is that cause where I work we can buy cars at diplomatic rates (no tax and reduced prices) so what he claimes he does is buy a new car every year then goes back to Copenhagen and sells it for a profit as the tax on used cars is less. Sorry to get so off the topic but you do not come across every day (unless of course you live in Denmark).

By Simonsuisse on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 11:24 am: Edit

Lordhobgoblin,
Sure that would be good. Nothing of real interest as far as Absinthe is happening for me at the moment. Too busy working 7 days a week. August sounds good.

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 10:13 am: Edit

Simon,

Good idea, but leave it until August. I've a lot going on in my life at the moment and can barely find an hour to myself. I live on the West just outside London.

Hobgoblin

By Simonsuisse on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 02:17 pm: Edit

Lordhobgoblin,
Your probably right about the humour. (i'm a bit slow that way. Damn it!!!). So if you live in the Uk. Especially in London, then lets meet for a drink?

By Artemis on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 12:21 pm: Edit

Simon: Sarcasm, irony and faux seriousness when actually not a damn is given are the stock in trade of this forum. If you're guilty of anything, it's of not reading before you post, otherwise you would know that, and know that what happened at Bovaresse has been covered here in great detail, as have absinthes that are much like vintage Pernod.

Andy: I was highly interested in your adventure. I have congratulated Peter privately on his writeup - I apologize for leaving the other attendees out. I hereby thank you all for going and for sharing.

By Admin on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Germanandy!

I was thriiiiilled with the details of your trip. It is highly unlikely that I will ever make it out there, so I must live vicariously thru the adventures of others.

I would like to see more pictures please. Or maybe next time.

I'm just so tickled that ya'll got together and went as a group. Got to stick out like a sore thumb and everything. Represented us well.

Cheers!!!

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Simon,

Humour in the UK contains a large dose of sarcasm and irony. It seems you have not been in the UK long enough to recognise this. It seems you possess that well-renowned Scandanavian sense of humour...

Hobgoblin
(Not intended as a 'post-modern flip')

By Germanandy on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 11:48 am: Edit

i can't believe it.
someone is interested in our boveresse trip.

By Simonsuisse on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 11:21 am: Edit

someone tell me what i missed out on at the Boveresse festival. I really wanted to go but couldn't get the damn time off work.
Did anyone pick up any nice rareties while they where there?

By Simonsuisse on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 11:10 am: Edit

I don't really hate Brits! I was just trying to make a joke. You can't really take that seriously. Besides how could i go and do a degree in Denmark, when i've been schooled in the Uk for 10 years! Come on! Why the fuck is everyone on this Forum so paranoid and serious. Please don't be that way. Lighten up!! I'm sure everyone here are great people. Well you must be interesting to meet if you like absinthe.

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 09:26 am: Edit

What is wrong with you Simon, if you hate us Brits then why the hell are you finishing your degree in the UK? Don't they have any decent Universities in Denmark?

Hobgoblin

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 09:22 am: Edit

If I had a bottle of vintage pernod I'd sell it on E-bay for £2,000 and go on holiday!

By Simonsuisse on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 01:47 pm: Edit

Just to clear the Brit thing up here. I may be finishing my degree in the UK. But i am Danish. So I agree with your saying.

By Heiko on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 12:51 pm: Edit

Simon,
everyone on this board would drink a bottle of vintage Pernot if he/she had one! What could be the reason to leave it bottled? Peter even shared a glass of his vintage Berger with all of us in Boveresse.
That wasn't what was awkward about your first post: we only wondered because it contained so many things very unusual for a newbie on this board.
It seems you are reading this forum and you are really experienced in matters absinthe. Share your experience - there's nothing more appreciated than experienced absintheurs sharing their knowledge on this board.
It's only 'mysterious' single postings that cause people to spread rumours (because that COULD be someone trying to advertise a new brand)

Consider the following: there's a forum on Picasso. Suddenly a newbie posts "well, I own a Picasso painting but I've just discovered a work of an unknown artist who is really worth looking at[...]" Then, silence, nothing more. Wouldn't people start wondering? Who is he? How did he get this painting? How come we never heard of him?

Just tell us some more (whatever you want to, no need to tell private secrets!) and you will be very much appreciated here!

By Dengar on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 12:39 pm: Edit

Well, actually Martin wasn't a Brit after all...

By Scoobydoo on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 12:17 pm: Edit

It's those damn Brits!!!
agh!!!
Gotta hate them!
absinthe withdrawls!! ughhh ughhhh..
it's like terret syndrome out here..
ughhhhhh...
brits..bad...evil..

By Dengar on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 12:00 pm: Edit

This is just like when Martin showed up (reapperared)! At first nobody belived that he was real but then after a while everybody accepted that he was.

And he too had a UK e-mail adress.

By Simonsuisse on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 11:49 am: Edit

I find it really amusing reading what people are responding with. You know all i intended to get accross by that first post was the fact i had come across a new home brew other than swiss. Probably being equal with a lot of you in my dedication to collecting antiques and drinking good absinthe, thought someone might be interested. I would be!

By Simonsuisse on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 11:37 am: Edit

Take me for what ever you like. I don't really care.I simply thought that i would share my experience with others.As far as drinking my pernod goes. I know a lot of people would see that as dumb and yes i'd agree. I just had to see what it tasted like. After all i'd been looking for the bastard for 4 years.
And another thing!! Betina does not have anything to do with what i've tasted and never will!!

By Mr_Rabbit on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 09:25 pm: Edit

my sarcasm brackets, that I keep forgetting disappear as if they were really HTML commands when I type them into a post.

By Mr_Rabbit on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Actually Don, I really just wanted an excuse to make 'burning baby retards' get a hit in a keyword search, in case it ever comes up.

That and I should have put up my brackets :-)

Simon seems like an advance advert for a new absinthe to me. Who would be selling it?

I am interested to see a new brand, but... will it be $200.00 USD?

FIE, FIE I SAY!

Seriously Simon, I didn't mean to be so damn sarcastic, but if you are a retailer, you will get much farther with honesty.

And if you aren't, just tell a story that seems very unlikely, is all.

We would all be kinda excited about a vintage bottle of Pernod, and it would seem odd to most of us that you would have one (still green and unoxidized) such a wide experience of absinthe, and still be stuck on Thujone content.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 04:53 am: Edit

Hokay, you Lapin you, if you want to be Mr Gullible.

By Mr_Rabbit on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 11:48 pm: Edit

For the love of burning baby retards!

So the guy has references up. If he's skimmed the site but not read into it, it might be like saying 'Fancy meeting you!'

And he may well have a vintage bottle of Pernod. They are rare, but if grandmaw dies and leaves you a bottle, you, ignorant of Absinthe or how rare it is, might well drink it. And look it up on the web, hey ho.

If any of us, before we knew what 'Vintage Pernod' meant, found or were given a bottle, you can bet we would've downed it. Napoleon brandy? Hm, sounds good... grandmama always was a lush...

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 05:05 am: Edit

And I suppose Simon is also a blood descendant of Henri Pernod on his father's side and a bar-sinister kin of the original Dr Ordinaire on his mother's, not to mention a 23rd degree mason and honorary shriner? And Director General of the SIS. Secret heir apparent to the Crown, and recently taken by aliens to their base on the Hale Bopp comet without having to go through castration...

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 04:58 am: Edit

Hey simon,

Let me know when Elvis shows up.

By Artemis on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 04:54 am: Edit

Quote:

I don't think it was implied that the product in question is intended to be represented as a Pernod copy.

It already has been so represented, or at least the implication has been planted:

Quote:

I also own a bottle of vintage pernod fils absinthe, ... I was amazed at how similar the vintage is compared to this spanish bootleg.

Quote:

Luckily my London source might be selling this (meaning the bootleg) soon

Copy may not have been the right word, but it was easier than writing "product amazingly similar to Pernod". I apologize for being lazy.

By Tabreaux on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 06:00 pm: Edit

I don't think it was implied that the product in question is intended to be represented as a Pernod copy. Even so, it would not be the first example of such marketing propaganda. Virtually every Czech product makes a similar claim.

By Artemis on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Personally I never doubted he was who he said he was (didn't really care, to be honest).
I never asked for references, either; he volunteered them. In his profile. I thought that kind of strange, among the the other things I mentioned.

I'm sure many will be interested that someone (else) is going to market a Pernod copy. That I'll believe when I see it.

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 05:13 pm: Edit

"Hmmmmmmmmm, Rimbaud, you have no idea what the context of this quote is, hmmmmmmm."

hmmmmm hmmmm things that make you go hmmmmmm...

hmmmmm hmmmm float an air biscuit hmmmmmm hmmmmmmm float an air biscuit hmmmmmmmmm...

Yeah!!! See what you did to me, Rimbaud? hmmmmm hmmmm
hmmmm hmmmm hmmmm

Them french fried patayter's ur reeeal good mmm hmmmmm...

By Rimbaud on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 03:08 pm: Edit

I'm not saying that the guy doesn't live in the UK, and I never did. That's irrelevant anyway. I'm just saying I find the whole post a bit strange and I question his motives...I still think Betina has a hand in the content of that post.

By Heiko on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 03:05 pm: Edit

Ian,
what's wrong about finding it awkward when a 22 year old student says he owns a bottle of vintage Pernod and has drunk almost all of it.
In addition to that it was one of these "one time posts" - no answer, just one post with a very unusual statement that leaves more questions than answers. People start speculating then, that's just normal.
When I came to the forum, I never had the problem that anyone thought I was Betina - just like many other newbies.
Had my first post said that I was just drinking vintage Pernod and that I knew some new brand that tasted just like it, wouldn't you have wondered?
I think Scooby was first considered to be a Betina troll, too (sorry if I'm wrong) - but he answered and quickly swept away all doubts.

I think I will add my usual disclaimer: I don't believe there are any Betty trolls, I have nothing against her because I don't know her and so on and so on...
damn, this is always getting so complicated - I'm out!

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 02:33 pm: Edit

It's a pity when we have to supply references before anyone believes who we are, but for those who are concerned, I have exchanged emails with Simon and, yes, he does live in the UK.

By Heiko on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 01:52 pm: Edit

Artemis,

doesn't every newbie use the "t" word? Almost all websites that say something about absinthe use the "t" word over and over again, so it's no wonder.
But you're right, I also found it rather strange that someone would read this forum while he's drinking a whole bottle of vintage Pernod and never write a single word about it. There's not many people in the world who have already drunk many glasses of vintage Pernod - I can't believe someone would mention that fact in such a sloppy way. Most people here (including myself) would start a new thread and an excited description for even one taste of vintage Pernod.

But he says he knows Phil, Ian and Kallisti, so they could lighten up the situation. Everyone else can just speculate and start another "you are so mean" - soap opera...

By Tavarua on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 09:46 am: Edit

Hmmmmmmmmm, Rimbaud, you have no idea what the context of this quote is, hmmmmmmm. Hmmmmmm you are implying, by using the word "troll", that this is one of her patrons. hmmmmmmm, kind of ridiculious when you consider he is living in the UK, where it is much much easier to obtain quality absinthe, or at least absinthe at a cheaper rate, hmmmmmmmm. Maybe they know each other from meeting at festivals / event, if they do know each other at all, hmmmmmmmm.

By Artemis on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 08:30 am: Edit

It states that he knows a lot of people, and strangely seems addressed specifically to Kallisti.

I'm more surprised that someone had an entire bottle of old Pernod and drank it all without ever entering this forum than I am that a bootlegger in Spain or anywhere else has made something that tastes like it. It really isn't that big a deal. The "rush" is well known to me and others. Ask Petermarc.

I'm not so quick to smell troll, but there are a lot of strange things about that post, not the least of which is a newbie coming in throwing the "T" word around. It's like saying "I've never read this forum", or even "Kick me, please!"

By Rimbaud on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 07:52 am: Edit

I didn't say it WAS Betina...just another one of her trolls...read "Simon's" profile:it actually states that he knows Betina...hmmmmm...

By Tavarua on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 01:44 pm: Edit

Not unless Betina goes to school in the UK. Check out the e-mail address.

By Rimbaud on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 01:37 pm: Edit

Hmmmm...do I smell a Betina troll? I think I do...
Can anyone else smell that horrible stench? Simon?

By Tabreaux on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 09:33 am: Edit

> Do I get this wrong? Is there someone out to hunt down jade?

When JL is launched (and possibly before), you can bet the 'poseurs' will come out in full force if they sniff any money to be made. Then you'll be assaulted with claims of being reproductions, 100mg thujone and other ridiculous assumptions and tall tales. Count on it.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 09:09 am: Edit

Well, maybe that`s the begining of a new era... I think we will soon be drinking nice absinthe...

By Heiko on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Do I get this wrong? Is there someone out to hunt down jade?

By Simonsuisse on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 03:15 pm: Edit

I,ve never posted on the forum before, but i felt it necessary to do so. I recently aquired a bottle of Spanish home brew absinthe. I also own a bottle of vintage pernod fils absinthe, of which i've drunk nearly all of. I was amazed at how similar the vintage is compared to this spanish bootleg. It is olive green, in between vintage pernod and sebor. I must say i've never quite had such a rush from drinking absinthe. Even the best La Bleues are a far cry. My source tells me that they don't know the thujone content. But judging by other good absinthe i've tried, this stuff must be about 100mg. Luckily my London source might be selling this soon as a product called "Oliva". For £60 a bottle.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation