Finding Absinthe in Dublin?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Finding Absinthe in Dublin?
By _Blackjack on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 10:20 am: Edit

Um, besides, since thujone is a pretty effective insecticide on its own, and wormwood plants are often used to repel bugs, it seems DDT would be redundant.

By Wormwood on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 07:10 am: Edit

Real absinthe never could have contained DDT.
It was not invented/used before it was banned.

That said, I would rather drink a little DDT then some Antimony Trichloride (which was added to cheaper brands of absinthe to improve its louche).

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 02:01 pm: Edit

The toxic pesticide residues may add to the 2ndry effects though. In the old days you couldn't beat a good DDT hit.

Tried adding fresh cherries (I do like cherries) to Lassala (didn't want to experiment with a decent absinthe water and sugar and blending it. It looks great and even better if you pour a bit of neat absinthe on top once you've put the blended stuff in the glass, give a sort of traffic light effect as the neat absinthe floats. However it tasted very mediocre, perhaps some cherry liquer added to the blend might help.

Hobgoblin

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 10:18 am: Edit

Matei, you are soo lucky that www.eabsinthe.com will ship you LaFee in ireland no problem (but they dont ship here to Canada damn it!).

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 02:00 pm: Edit

You might want to use organic strawberries. Strawberries are at the top of the produce list when it comes to toxic pesticide residues.

K.

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 01:12 pm: Edit

I tried segarra in a blender with sugar and water last might. It ends up looking like a glass of milk. That's what I call a good louche. Half a dozen fresh strawberries added to it before blending might taste good, I think I'll try it out.

Hobgoblin

By Anatomist1 on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 08:16 pm: Edit

Whatever that recipe might be, you know you've got to garnish it with 3 or 5 Good'n'Plenties...

By Bob_Chong on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 08:02 pm: Edit

Does anyone have a good recipe for an absinthe frappe or daquiri or frozen drink of some kind?

Thanks,
BC

By _Blackjack on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 03:22 pm: Edit

Screw it, man, I need the phenylalanine.

...mmmm....precursor loading...

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 01:26 pm: Edit

Too much aspartime will give you a dose of the shits.

By Germanandy on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 12:58 pm: Edit

why don't you use artificial sweetener (the small white drops disolve without stiring)?
;-)

andy

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 12:22 pm: Edit

A blender, nice idea. I've been mixing extra fine sugar with water before adding it to the absinthe. Stops having all those undissolved bits at the bottom of your glass.

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 10:05 pm: Edit

I suggest a blender that can hit 'liquify' or at least 'frappe'. Fuck tradition -- nothing beats the peace of mind of absolute consistency.

I don't understand the baked potato/french fry analogy. To me, the essential nature of a baked potato is as a neutral substratum to which various animal fats and spices can be added. French fries, on the other hand, seem to be already inundated by probably rancid oxidized oils, and therefore only need the addition of processed cheese or tomato derivatives to achieve palatibility. Oh wait, they're both made from potatoes... never mind.

By Bob_Chong on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 09:36 pm: Edit

Matei:

Truth be told, you won't need a spoon. All the Spanish is sickly sweet as is: adding sugar would be like topping a baked potato with french fries. Overkill.

But if you insist, a fork or a slotted spoon will work fine.

BC

By Artemis on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 05:53 pm: Edit

You missed a good chance to get a spoon in your Spirits Corner order. They sell them. They're not antique of course, but they are completely functional.

Don't they (not SC, but whoever sells it) give one spoon away with each bottle of La Fee? If not, you can probably buy one of those if you're going to England.

By Matei on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 01:38 pm: Edit

Thanks for the responses. I was actually looking into making a run to the UK just for some absinthe! If I use Ryanair the fares are real cheap - I have known friends to get fares around 8 pounds each way - we'll have to see.

I can't wait for the Deva to get here. I am very curious.

One last question - what should one use in lieu of a real absinthe spoon? I will eventually get around to getting one but not at the present.

Cheers!

Mat

By Artemis on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 12:44 pm: Edit

I know nothing of Dublin, but La Fee is supposedly available in the U.K. It is way superior to Deva and every other Spanish absinthe. Whether you find it or not before your order arrives, I think it's well worth seeking out for someone as close to England as you are. Whether it's worth the extra money only you can say, but it's the closest you're going to come to authentic absinthe in a commercial product.

By Heiko on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 09:13 am: Edit

You won't get flamed for a serious question that has never been asked before.

Good follow-up for Deva? Every other brand...
Some of them taste so different from each other, you can love one and hate the other.

Segarra tastes very different from Deva, but gets closer to 'real' absinthe, IMO.
As someone said in another thread: Spanish are mostly anise with wormwood. Not bad if you like much anise (I do). Segarra is closer to some La Bleues (or is it "Les Bleues"?) - not the same, but closer.

By Matei on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 08:51 am: Edit

Hello!

Does anyone know of a bar or other location in Dublin (or Ireland for that matter) where I could find absinthe? I have just ordered a bottle of Deva from Spirits Corner but I am very impatient!

I know that I run the risk of getting flamed for posting this (and I have read the FAQ) but what are your general impressions of Deva? What would you recommend as a good follow-up to Deva?

I haven't tried absinthe before but I am looking forward to it. Granted, I don't expect to hallucinate green snakes crawling about the place but I am very curious to experience absinthe.

Cheers!

Mat

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation