What to do with empty absinthe bottles

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: What to do with empty absinthe bottles
By Btyre on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 12:27 am: Edit

To go back to the original question:

[This goes with any liquor I consume, not just absinthe]

Being a pack rat (or as I prefer, a sentamentalist), I generally keep one -usually the first- bottle of any liquor I consume.

I kind of like the idea of adding coloring to the bottles, but I see an empty bottle as an accomplishment. A "full" bottle tends to invite questions.

When I empty my Mari Mayans bottle, I fully intend on keeping it in my closet (so my mother doesn't dispose of it).

Who knows? Hang on to them, give 'em to your kids. Maybe in another 85 years "antique" absinthe bottles will be valuable.

Just a thought.

Brett.

By Heiko on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 07:51 pm: Edit

"But if memory serves me correctly, it's also more expensive than brown, so nobody uses it."

That's what I thought I had heard somewhere, but I wasn't sure.
Blue bottle usually means you pay a lot of money for design and brand name while the content is just standard (like expensive water out of blue designer bottles...)

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 07:40 pm: Edit

Apollo was pretty good as I remember.

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 07:40 pm: Edit

What!!! Don't you drink A-1 straight from the bottle? What the hell's wrong with you?

By Zack on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 07:37 pm: Edit

I couldn't even drink 2oz of that stuff. I think it would make a better gravy or steak marinade. And, if I remember correctly the price worked out to about $1 per ounce.

I have seen a few other beers in blue, but it was just for aesthetics Im sure. "Blue" was in the name of the beer I think. Oh, and one was called "Apollo" and had this whole tacky space theme.

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 04:48 pm: Edit

That Sam Adams Triple Bock is yum!

By Artemis on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 04:07 pm: Edit

I read someplace that in theory blue would be better than brown because it keeps out more light, or else keeps out a certain part of the spectrum which is particularly harmful. It was either on the Homebrew Digest, or in one of the dozens of brewing and beer books I've read. But if memory serves me correctly, it's also more expensive than brown, so nobody uses it.

The only beer bottle I've seen in blue was a special edition barley wine style beer put out by Sam Adams. They called it a triple bock. The bottle was about seven ounces, cobalt blue with a matching stopper and gold writing on it.

I think you're correct - opaque is best of all. Generally, the more light you exclude the better.

By Anatomist1 on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Artemis,

I never heard that blue bottles keep out light better than brown. Are they just darker, or is it a color thing? I wonder why I haven't seen any fancy beer in blue bottles. I guess completely opaque bottles like the ones Delerium Tremens comes in are best, but I hardly ever see beer in those either.

K.

By Cheri on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 01:05 pm: Edit

I can use mine to whoop my ex-husband upside the head......MM might work for that, since his head is already flat...

By Spm on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 12:48 pm: Edit

I return mine to get that 10 cent REFUND

Shawn

By Mike on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 12:33 pm: Edit

I paint mine! Which reminds me, I'm running way behind!

mike

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 06:37 pm: Edit

My own private Golgotha.

I remember voices repeating "the power of Christ compells thee". Shortly after it got real quiet.

There's one left that keeps yammering about large breasts and the WWF.

By Artemis on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 06:29 pm: Edit

They didn't go over a cliff I hope.

Was a sandal-wearing guy with long hair and a beard involved? Ran some kind of concession near Golgotha if memory serves me correctly.

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 06:12 pm: Edit

My name used to be Legion, some of the tenants left the building though.

By Artemis on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 06:07 pm: Edit

Quote:

jeez..boring lately..

Probably all the absinthe discussion.

By Artemis on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 06:01 pm: Edit

If they're clear they can be used as rolling pins, unless they're Mari Mayans special edition.

If they're green, brown, or blue (good, better, and best, in that order) they can be filled with some liquid you don't want to be affected by light. Such as home-brewed beer.

If they are legion, you can just throw them in the back yard and shoot at them. Depending upon where you live, of course. Some localities don't appreciate old-fashioned recreation.

By Germanandy on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 04:25 pm: Edit

i have a bottle of hills on my shelf that won't get empty, is this one of the magic bottles?

andy

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 04:03 pm: Edit

Mine keep refilling themselves. They're magic bottles.

Hail Satan.

By Scoobydoo on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 03:05 pm: Edit

jeez..boring lately..
here's a question...
What does everyone do with their empty absinthe bottles? I normally put coloring in the bottles and put them up on a shelf...but I haven't figured out if I want to keep all my absinthe bottles yet..I saw that there was an Oxygenee bottle on ebay for selling for about 20 bucks...That's a nice way to contribute to my next shipment of absinthe. Does anyone else do that? does it even work?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation