Absinthine?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Absinthine?
By Zman7 on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 09:54 am: Edit

Thanks for the info. My first batch (outside of some previous steeped swill)is ala Dick's, but if anyone has any other small scale recipes to share I would greatly appreciate it. I looked at the recipes on Frenchman Ltd., any of those worth adapting to the small scale?

By Artemis on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 08:10 am: Edit

"Furthermore, I take back any aspersions I previously made toward Tony's home-sistiller
website. ... He does have a lot of very useful material on there and much of it is technically superlative."

I told ya so! Tony pops up on the Distilled Beverage Digest now and then, usually correcting some ignorance that people are passing around in the process.

"My suggestion is to skip the Dick's procedure entirely"

I second that emotion. It's not a good recipe (forget licorice root) and it's not a good process.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 03:11 am: Edit

He would have been, had he not turned into a pacifist in horror at the uses put to his inventions (stablilization of nitroglycerin by absorption onto kieselguhr, sawdust, or ammonium nitrate...Dynamite, hence the explosives and smokeless powder company that still bears his name, Dynamit-Nobel.

By Luger on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 01:05 am: Edit

Don Wrote:

>By the way Gert Strand now gets my vote for my >second favorite Swede (second only to Luger of >course.

I always thought that Alfred Nobel, inventor of many dangerous things was the Winner in your book?

Luger

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 10:24 pm: Edit

My suggestion is to skip the Dick's procedure entirely. It's pretty worthless. There are somewhat better procedures out there, none of them perfect but some of them a lot closer to the mark than the Pendell.

You are right about making ethanol on a small scale. And doing it on a medium scale is mostly drudgery, but if you have to, you have to, and it is best to know how to do it right.

By Zman7 on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 08:00 pm: Edit

I agree with you that Tony's site is superlative for a beginning home distiller. However, I find the process of making your own ethanol from scratch to be time consuming, but a cheap source of high proof alcohol (grain alcohol isn't available where I live). I've refined my ethanol via a Desti-Lab with good results. I'm ready to try and run my first batch of homemade absinthe (ala Dick's) through a simple pot still. But I'm waiting anxiously for JL!

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Hello again Luger. For the sake of those not familiar with non US currencies, a Swedish kroner right now is just under 10 cents.

By the way Gert Strand now gets my vote for my second favorite Swede (second only to Luger of course.) I just received 50 sachets of his 8 Kg 18% Black Label turbo yeats and will be testing it shortly. He hand delivered these to a buddy of mine in Copenhagen (gert was driving through Denmark to Germany, Malmoe is just 20 km away) and my friend hand carried them to Bangkok. And he gives us distillers' prices (fair enough as we are a distillery). He has been generous with his know-how, and has shared some information that isn't on his website. All in all he is a pleasure to deal with.

Furthermore, I take back any aspersions I previously made toward Tony's home-sistiller website. My first impression was wrong, and it was based on a very small sampling of his site. He does have a lot of very useful material on there and much of it is technically superlative.

By Luger on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 02:17 pm: Edit

Hi again!

>It doesn't mean anything. It was an attempt to >lighten the mood because I saw two friends about >to duke it out
>and I didn't want that to happen.

There are no better reason!

>In 1888, Jack the Ripper or someone pretending to >be him sent a note to a London newspaper, saying >"I'm down on
>whores and shan't quit ripping them til I do get >buckled".

I´m quite sure that must have been an Absinthe drinker,,,:-)

> By Admin on Tuesday,

>I love you Luger ... Moose hunting, chainsaws & >absinthe.
>Great combo.

Love you too, but you´d be surprised a the real me: I'm just a cuddly little bunny
rabbit trying to find his way through the cabbage patch of life.

Luger

By Artemis on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 11:18 am: Edit

Quote:

That Luger is really down on commercial absinthe and he shan't quit ripping them until he does get buckled (any other Jack the Ripper fans out there?).

Sorry, I am not good enough at English to catch what that means!

It doesn't mean anything. It was an attempt to lighten the mood because I saw two friends about to duke it out and I didn't want that to happen.

In 1888, Jack the Ripper or someone pretending to be him sent a note to a London newspaper, saying "I'm down on whores and shan't quit ripping them til I do get buckled".

Jack didn't like whores, Luger doesn't like commercial absinthe. Okay, it was a stretch, but I've recently been studying up on Jack again and he was on my mind.

By Admin on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 10:43 am: Edit

I love you Luger ... Moose hunting, chainsaws & absinthe.

Great combo.

By Luger on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 10:40 am: Edit

Hi Ted!

Then all is well! The sun is shining, but as it gets a bit colder now in the evening I am about to test my new chain saw. I have not made my mind up yet, wheter the smell of 2-stroke oil is better than Absinthe or not :-)

Cheers: Luger

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 10:28 am: Edit

"This any many..."

Should actually read: "There are many...."

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 10:27 am: Edit

Sorry Luger, just a misunderstanding on my part.

Regarding Oxygenee, I agree with you. This any many absinthes are ridiculously overpriced with respect to what is involved in making them.

By Luger on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 10:25 am: Edit

Hi there!

>so please don't point any slander our way or >accuse us of being frauds.

I spoke of Oxygenee, and that makes me accuse you?
I have not even mentioned you! I mentioned Oxygenee.

>That Luger is really down on commercial absinthe >and he shan't quit ripping them until he does get >buckled (any
>other Jack the Ripper fans out there?).

Sorry, I am not good enough at English to catch what that means!

Cheers: Luger

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 09:47 am: Edit

Bootlegging a bottle of absinthe in a pot still in gives no absolutely indication of what is required to mobilize a large scale facility, do it with historical accuracy,...and do it consistently, and *legally*. Even in one of the cheapest countries in the world (Thailand), it is frighteningly expensive. I wouldn't do it just to break even....yet we hope we can break even. It is a substantial financial risk. We have far more at risk than what a consumer will risk in buying a bottle, and I'm sure most here are intelligent enough to realize that.

There is not a soul on this BB that truly knows what such a venture involves, and speaking for my associate and I, we are faced with new challenges in that regard almost daily. It costs us more just to *develop* one specific absinthe than what most people's autos are worth. If you can't see how this can be so, then let it serve as an example of the degree of effort we've invested, and it shows.

I can say with 110% certainty that making Oxygenee, Deva, or whatever else costs only a fraction of what it costs us to do what we do, so please don't point any slander our way or accuse us of being frauds. We have more far important things to be concerned about.

By Artemis on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 09:07 am: Edit

That Luger is really down on commercial absinthe and he shan't quit ripping them until he does get buckled (any other Jack the Ripper fans out there?).

He thinks it all borders on fraud, but then he is a bootstrap kind of guy, blazes his own trail, drills his own hole, so to speak.

But not everybody has the DIY ability of the Wizard of the Big Apple or the Owl Man of Valhalla. They will have to pay the market price.

By Luger on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 02:16 am: Edit

Translation of the new link,,,

Absinthe Oxygenee

To be sold in May at the "Systembolaget" ( Swedish state monopoly off-licence )

Article number 70049
Price 395 Swedish Crowns
Category: Absinthe
Origin: France

Excellent in the company of artistic or literary people.

Another alternative is to do it as the artists in the beginning of the century ( Which one? Translators question :-) )
and pour the Absinthe through a pice of sugar, laid on an absinthe spoon ( A sort of strainer, often decorated, with things as the Eiffel tower as motif ), and then ignite the sugar, so that the burned sugar melts down into the Absinthe.

Originally, Absinthe is a Greek word for Wormwood; a slightly greenish alcoholic beverage that contains extracts of different spices, among others: Wormwood, Anise and Fennel. Mixed with water it opalizes into a milky drink. Absinthe was made commercially 1797 by the Frenchman H-L Pernod. The drink that was popular among artists in Paris during the last part of the 1900-century and the beginning of the twentieth century,was banned 1915 in France, and several other countries ( Never Sweden though ), because one of the flavorings, Thujone, with long abuse made serious damage to the nervous system, wich showed as blindness, convulsions and demens (absinthism).

Absinthe of today does not contain the harmful substance Thujone, and neither does it contain as much Wormwood as in earlier years.
It is best enjoyed with a dash of water, or on the rocks.

The alcoholic content use to be about 55-60 %. Absinthe Oxygenee is 55%

( End of translation )

Ok, this means that it can be bought everywhere in Sweden, and that should be good, since many esteemed people have told me that the taste is among the best one can hope for.
The price though: Considering what it costs to make Absinthe, no matter how well it is made it´s fraud! The price is so high because the manufacturer wants the ignorant buyer to send his/hers creditcards to them,,

As I write I have a glass of what I have been told is the very best that can be found anywhere. It has been tasted in many different places of the world, and the cost of making it and/or buying the equipment makes it a bargain!
It is made in NYC, and it is *excellent*!

Best regards: Luger

By Archzim on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 11:04 pm: Edit

If I understand correctly you can`t order from these swedish sites, they sell only domestically.

They have same kind of a clownish alcohol policy as we have in Finland, government monopoly.

-zim

By Spm on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 07:37 pm: Edit

Here is another link for Oxygénée:

http://www.cocktailguiden.com/vindetalj.php?flaskID=968&text=Absinthe%20Oxyg%C3%A9n%C3%A9e

Shawn

By Artemis on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 03:58 pm: Edit

TRANSLATION, courtesy of Luger:

Absinthe Oxygenee
Article number: (70049)
Price: 395 Swedish Crowns (Including tax)
Producer: Pernod, France
Size: 700 mL

Absinthe has always been a drink of myth, prohibited by governments but, adored by the consumers, bards and poets and often called "the green little fairy". Originally the drink was created by a doctor in Switzerland, who recommended absinthe as a cure for stomach problems. The elixir contained Wormwood and other spices as anise, Hyssop, Mint, Licorice and Coriandre.
Soon the drink was produced by Pernod Fils in France, where it became a great success.
In the beginning of the twentieth century the drink was banned in several countries because of large amounts of Thujone, which is a substance in the Wormwood. Today the allowed amount of Thujone is strictly controlled. L'Oxygenee Cusenier is a quality product made by Cusenier in France. Cusenier has a long tradition of making Absinthe, and it was among those that made the drink famous in the end of the eighteenth century.
Consumed: One part Oxygenee, five parts water.

By Petermarc on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 12:55 pm: Edit

the guy i buy oxygénée from says that it is not as good...so i haven't bothered to try it...

By Heiko on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 12:16 pm: Edit

The link works. I get the Oxygénée page when I click it. I don't understand a word, except that the bottle costs 395 kronas (43 Euro) which is a rather good price for Sweden, rather expensive for elsewhere, I guess.

I think from vinotheque you get it for the same price including shipment. I'm not sure, I never ordered oxygénée.

By Franglais on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 08:45 am: Edit

Has anyone tried this from La Vinotheque?

Also, I tried posting this address for Pernod Ricard Sweden in an older thread but I get some strange message. . .

http://www.prsweden.se/sortiment_resultat.asp?SokKategori=&Kategori=&Land=Frankrike&Pris=&ID_Druva=&Id=205

If anyone who speaks Swedish could translate I would greatly appreciate it.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation