Absinthe article in french newpaper 'libération'

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Absinthe article in french newpaper 'libération'
By Petermarc on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 03:05 pm: Edit

eet eez all zoe frencsh, no?

By Heiko on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 11:37 am: Edit

"it is sad that they don't also mention the good French sites out there."

Maybe, if the internet experts of that paper are as superficial as the absinthe experts, they haven't yet noticed that there is a .fr domain on the web ;-)

By Absinthedrinker on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 02:46 am: Edit

Peter - "ta da! www.absintheoriginals.com---congratulations ian, the french now have been recommended to buy back their own history from you in england...i'm so proud!"

Whilst I can't knock the free publicity, it is sad that they don't also mention the good French sites out there. I guess that if the French wake up to the fact that absinthe is part of their cultural heritage the government will slap a ban on exporting antiques

By Aion on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 09:40 pm: Edit

"why don't these people do a simple search before writing an article?"

Peter,
because that would imply they are really interested in absinthe, they are not.
It would take them too much time, and they need the time for writing the next blah-blah article.
Time is money. Only money counts for them. Idealism not!

A.

By Petermarc on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 03:38 pm: Edit

yeah, i know, it's new(s)paper but i can't edit my title :-(

By Petermarc on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 03:35 pm: Edit

in a recent issue of the french newpaper 'libération' in their 'tendances style'
section is a two page article about absinthe on it's way to becoming 'a la mode' in france...unfortunately the full page picture shows a bottle of absente, carafe and absente glass with spoon and disolving sugar on the spoon...that is one of the pages...the other page explains the law passed in 1988 by the prime minister of france making it legal to produce absinthe in france with thujone levels less than 10mg/liter...(it says 'make', not sell or drink in france...i have sent an e-mail to the french governmental organization for a copy of the the 'décret.'...the article talks of oxygénée as if it were made by cusenier (no mention of pernod/ricard) except not to confuse pernot with pernod, and absinthine, of the recent thread and a post by me a while back (made by pastis maker jean boyer)...and 3 distilleries in pontarlier that are capable of producing absinthe...les fils d'emile pernot, pierre guy (pontarlier-anis)and deniset-klainguer...apparently françois guy has already planted a field of absinthe a month ago in pontarlier...this will go into a production that i heard would be released in september, that is actually scheduled for christmas, following the recipe of his great grand father-80% anis and 20% absinthe, triple distillation with the final product at 45(!?)° i.e.90 proof
---yawn---(my yawn, it sounded good until then) the article goes on blah, blah...hip in new york, hong kong, japan...blah, blah, czech stuff on internet sucks (fake colors and aromas)...blah, blah, belle epoque poets, artists...and then a comparison with the resurgence of mezcal (which also inspired writers with it's hallucinogenic powers)...then it tells the sad story about how in the last 4 or 5 years that whisky sales have gained over pastis in france(the french like scotch and coke...geck)and how once absinthe comes out of hiding into legal status that it will loose it's appeal on supermarket shelves...and that apparently no one today can describe what a real pre-1915 absinthe tastes like (i'd say there are several here on this forum that could tell the writer of this article exactly what they taste like, why don't these people do a simple search before writing an article? oh, yeah, no one's ever done an article on absinthe before ;-))...it finishes with a seperate short story of the reason for the ban of absinthe from an article provided by marie-claude delahaye...
prices and descriptions of oxygénée, absinthine and absente...web-site addresses (sorry kallisti) for our friend at vinotheque in thonon-le-bain...and for history with pictures from the museum at pontarlier-www.bahnhofplatz.com..for cultivation check out www.plantes-et-jardins.com...and for glasses, spoons and fountains---ta da! absintheoriginals.com---congratulations ian, the french now have been recommended to buy back their own history from you in england...i'm so proud!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation