Absinthe cuisine

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Absinthe cuisine
By Bob_Chong on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Do a search on the foodtv.com recipe search box for Pernod, and you'll get 15 recipes.

BC

By Admin on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 05:43 pm: Edit

The guy who came up with the jingle "Wow! Its Fresca!" was a friend of my Mom's.

We all went to Reno at one point, and I have since fantasized that they had an affair.

By Melinelly on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 03:49 pm: Edit

mmmmm... Fresca... =)

i believe Martin was touting the beneftis of absinthe and fresca several months ago. i've yet to try it, but alone, they are two of my favorite things to imbibe!

By Zack on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 01:05 pm: Edit

Hill's and Sprite is great.

By Leela on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 01:00 pm: Edit

I like putting Deva in my 7up. NS is good too. Hell, I'm using up my Hills by cutting it 50/50 with Abesente pastis and putting it in Fresca.

Leela

By Admin on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 12:16 pm: Edit

I prefer using the ghetto brands in my sprite. The finer ones are for savoring.

That being said, at the Moulin Rouge opening, we poured a ton of la Fee into one of those 48 oz giant theatre sprites. And it was mighty fine. The flavor definately comes thru. Absinthe Pop. Das right.

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 12:13 pm: Edit

Rumour has it that Serpis works best with 7UP

By Bluedog1 on Thursday, July 05, 2001 - 03:12 am: Edit

What absinthe works best mixing with 7Up?

I've tried Mari Mayans, Deva and Montano, but not my La Fee.

The Mari, being 70% packs more of a wallop, and is a little harsher with a soft drink. It does tend to glow a little in the glass. The Montano is the mellow-est, has a lighter, more refreshing taste when mixed. It does tend to look a bit like Mountain Dew in the glass.

By Verawench on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 11:48 am: Edit

Thanks for all the suggestions :D

Here's a recipe i found on my mom's cookbook cd room.... Pernod cheesecake! hehePernod Cheesecake

CRUST:
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

FILLING:
7 oz neufchatel cheese, softened
2/3 cup plain yogurt
2/3 cup whipping cream, whipped
2 tablespoons Pernod
4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
3 tablespoons water
2 eggs
2 tablespoons honey
finely grated rind of 1 orange

GARNISH:
3 kiwifruit
2/3 cup whipping cream
1 small packet round plain chocolate wafer
Grease a 9-inch springform pan. To prepare crust, melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in graham cracker crumbs. Press mixture in bottom of greased pan. Set aside.
To prepare filling, beat Neufchatel cheese and yogurt in a medium-size bowl until smooth. Fold in whipped cream and Pernod. Combine gelatin and water in a small saucepan. Simmer until gelatin is completely dissolved; stir into cheese mixture. Beat eggs, honey and orange rind until they are thick and foamy and hold a ribbon when drawn across surface; fold into cheese mixture. Spoon filling into prepared crust. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or until set.
To garnish, peel and slice kiwifruit. Cut slices in half. Arrange around edge of cheesecake. Whip cream until stiff. Pipe (with a pastry bag) whipped cream between kiwifruit slices. Decorate with chocolate wafers.
Makes 8 servings.

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 11:33 am: Edit

I find that Montana mixed with 7-up is nearly indistiguishable from Zima...

By Scoobydoo on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 10:38 am: Edit

Quick question for bluedog or anyone.
What types of absinthe works best for mixing with 7-up?

Here's a great way to drink absinthe and eat...skip dinner...begin making dinner while on your first glass of absinthe on an empty stomach..
The best food I have had with absinthe would have to be PIZZA...yes yes, I know, not shrimp or oysters..but all my money went to absinthe and not the food...Then, begin eating the pizza with your next glass of absinthe...and finish the pizza and second glass together...then pour yourself another glass and a half for the rest of the night. I guarantee you will be amazed at the feelings! And, the pizza and absinthe tasted great together!
Scoobs

By Dengar on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 10:30 am: Edit

I usually enjoy absinthe AFTER a good meal.
Well, actually I enjoy whiskey or cognac after a good meal and absinthe after that, late at night.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 10:08 am: Edit

Well, my experience at two picnics where I served absinthe is that after several glass, nobody care about the food. I would suggest tons of tasty and spicy appetizers.

By Artemis on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 07:59 am: Edit

What dishes work especially well after a nice glass of absinthe?

If memory serves me correctly, after four or six glasses of absinthe in New Orleans with Kallisti and Morrigan, a big platter of oysters (raw of course) worked especially well.

By Bluedog1 on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 07:06 am: Edit

Ok, here's a suggestion for summer appetizer with absinthe. Amaze your friends.

Go to your local market and buy some shrimp (fresh or frozen, but fresh is always best) and andouille sausage (chorizo will do in a pinch). Peel and devein the shrimp, if necessary.

Take some bamboo skewers, soak in water for an hour. Lace the skewers alternating shrimp and medallions of the sausage.

In a pan lay out the skewers, drizzle some absinthe over the skewers (lightly). Season with your personal spice mixture, or Joe's Stuff from New Orleans, or "essence" if you watch that guy on TV. (Or just mix paprika, kosher salt, fresh black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne powder, and dried thyme) and sprinkle over the skewers.

Grill slowly over charcoal until sausage is done and shrimp are cooked through. (I recommend splitting an onion, dipping soaking half in olive oil and wiping the grill with it before placing the skewers on the grill before cooking -- less sticking and adds flavor.)

Shouldn't take more than a few minutes on each side. Re-season with spice mixture when you flip the skewers over. Use tongs vice a spatula.

Serve as an appetizer with your favorite green drink (mine for summer is a glass filled with ice, liberal dose of absinthe, fill with Sprite or 7-Up.)

You can do this in a broiler, if you can't get outside.

By Aion on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 02:56 am: Edit

Oh man, that is cruel!
It is 12 a.m. here and I am at work and
decided to eat nothing of that plastic food from
the company´s canteen. And have to read about such
delicious dished. Life´s hard!
A.

By Marc on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 02:26 am: Edit

man that sounds delicious. I've got to get over my fear of flying.

By Oxygenee on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 02:10 am: Edit

With absinthe, definitely shellfish - the local rock lobster we catch here (you eat the tail, not the claws) is stunning grilled over the coals, then drizzled with an absinthe butter.

Any Forumites visiting Cape Town are cordially invited to share a couple with me.....

By Mordantiabat on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 12:13 am: Edit

Kallisti,

Was that the party I slept through?

Heh.

By Admin on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 10:42 pm: Edit

Yes, indian food is lovely. The spice factor is definately complimentary.

Honestly tho, I've invited swanky folks over for a party of "Corndogs & Absinthe" ... partly because it tickles my funny bone, but partly because it lets alot of the hot air outa people who are too elitist, or that think I might be.

Lordy ... I was stuck at a party the other night, where some hipster guy saw my bottle of absinthe and went on and on and on about absinth.com and how he got the BEST and most expensive absinth ever, that $250 stuff, and how it had the MOST thujone and boy wasn't he just the proudest papa. I tried to explain and enlighten, but all he would say is that the russians were the only ones who knew how to make absinthe and sometimes the czechs. I wanted to scream. One of my friends tried to tell him "no, she really does know what she's talking about". grrrrrrr. Where is Don to point out my tiara when I need him?

*end rant*

By Marc on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Indian food is a nice compliment to absinthe.

By Aion on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 09:51 pm: Edit

I made the experience that after several nice glasses everything somewhat etable becomes to look appetizing.
So I would suggest to have the tasting after dinner. And just have for dinner what you and your friends like best. Nothing very special (that maybe nobody likes).
A.

By Heiko on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 05:44 pm: Edit

If you want a vintage Swiss Absinthe party, make some hotdogs and fries, have your neighbour play music on his keyboard and invite some junior high cheerleaders to dance ;-)

...and don't take anything seriously that I tell you after my definitely last death in the afternoon. Hmm, I said 'definitely last' two glasses before...

By Verawench on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 05:26 pm: Edit

What dishes work especially well after a nice glass of absinthe? I've never dined out/cooked specifically for my absinthe rituals and was wondering what others have tried.

(Yes, I am thinking of having a nice little dinner party for a few friends once Jade becomes available :) )

Wench

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation