Heavy Alcohal Effect, Secondary Affect?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Heavy Alcohal Effect, Secondary Affect?
By Absinthedrinker on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 02:06 am: Edit

Damn, I forgot to mention the slice of cucumber

By Tlautrec on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 05:04 pm: Edit

Pimm's and ginger beer - yes!! yes!!! yes !!!!

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 04:52 pm: Edit

Having never worn a Henley I don't suspect I'll be getting invited to the regatta any time soon.

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 12:01 pm: Edit

"I drank most of the bottle straight. Is that a no-no?"

Try doing that at the Henley Regatta and they'll have you shot on sight. A definite no-no I'd say, worse than drinking scotch with coca-cola.

By Absinthedrinker on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 07:34 am: Edit

The best way to drink Pimms (IMHO) is with ginger ale, or better still, with real brewed ginger beer - garnish with mint, lemon and apple and only drink it in pint glasses.

By Leela on Sunday, July 08, 2001 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Not a no-no. I firmly believe that there are no rules when it comes to alcoholic beverage consumption.

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 08, 2001 - 08:04 pm: Edit

On the rocks mostly and in a glass.

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 08, 2001 - 08:03 pm: Edit

I drank most of the bottle straight. Is that a no-no?

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 08, 2001 - 08:02 pm: Edit

Oops'a my accent. She'sa comin' outta 'gain'a.

By Leela on Sunday, July 08, 2001 - 08:00 pm: Edit

I've never had it straight. I don't think *anyone* drinks it straight. I seem to recall that it smelled a little cough-syrupy.

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 08, 2001 - 07:57 pm: Edit

It was tangy and a slightly sour when I tried Pimms.

So I dumped it into my Orange Julius and OH! SWEET JESUS!!! what a treat.

By Guillermo on Sunday, July 08, 2001 - 07:19 pm: Edit

Could you describe the flavor of Pimms?

Tks -- Bill.

By Leela on Sunday, July 08, 2001 - 05:54 pm: Edit

I love Pimms and 7up! But you really should get real lemon soda, like Limonada from Italy, to mix with it. Collins mixer is another good bet if you want to get away from too much sweetness.

By Guillermo on Sunday, July 08, 2001 - 04:56 pm: Edit

Thanks for the suggestions. Hey, have any of you all tried Pimms? I see it often in the liquor stores next to the Campari, but have hesitated to drop $20 for sth the label suggests to mix with seven up.

Cheers -- Bill.

By _Blackjack on Sunday, July 08, 2001 - 01:52 pm: Edit

But if it doesn't come out before the end of the year, I will probably place an order with SC.

It had BETTER come out before the end of the year, since it was originally slated to come out at the BEGINNING of the year. How dare Ted and Don undetake a difficult and expensive enterprise but fail to do so in the manner most convenient to me?! ;)

Ah, that's what I get for missing the New Orleans tasting.

Anyway, go ahead and order some Spirits Corner stuff, anyway. If the Jade products come out before you finish your Spanish stuff, you can always bring the absenta to parties to impress your friends, but save the good stuff for yourself...

By Heiko on Sunday, July 08, 2001 - 12:24 pm: Edit

I could drink a lot of Ricard - somehow I like the taste. I also like Bardouin very much.
I never again want to spoil the fun of the real absinthe feeling by drinking absinthe every day. Some good pastis is a nice alternative to have a drink without getting used to absinthe too much.
Pastis is still a better party drink for me than wine - that makes me tired very quick - or beer. For me beer is almost the same kind of party-killer as pot: it makes me dull and sleepy in no time.

The absinthe effect IMO is producing calm awakeness - but of course at the same time you do get drunk (otherwise, where would be the fun?). You just get rid of some of the negative aspects of drunkenness from other drinks, that's the secret, I think.

By Wolfgang on Sunday, July 08, 2001 - 10:48 am: Edit

Ricard is like a weak, simple, unidimentional absinthe. It's similar but you only get an alcohol buzz from it. In the taste, there's something missing. With absinthe, you can drink and drink and drink without falling down because something in it keeps you awake.
Of course if you drink it every day, eventually you don't feel it anymore, you get use to it. If you drink it only one or two times a week, it's great for the effect but if you realy like it like me (I mean for the taste), it's difficult to be so wise ;-)).

I already been on party for many hours (let's say from 20:00 to 5 in the morning), drinking about >15 Oz of absinthe without beeing sick (but realy drunk, spaced out, floating and focussed of the eyes of people talking to me or the spider web in the corner of the room...the walls were kind of moving...). After 8 hour of sleep, I was not drunk anymore but I was still floating and lethargic for a whole day. If you try this, do not drink for at least 5 days before, do not drink any other alcohol, do not eat too much and of course do not even think about driving. Enjoy and do not do it too often.

Now the small prints... this information is only shared for educational purpose, it may be not true and you should never do that yourself. The writer could not be hold responsible for anything you try by yourself...blablabla ;-)

Wolf, reaching infinity through exaggeration.

By Guillermo on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 03:00 pm: Edit

You're right about that Ricard, which is still the closest thing I've tried to absinthe. Still the absinthe virgin, I've been hearing a lot about the Belle Epoch absinthe project, and would like to wait until that product becomes available. But if it doesn't come out before the end of the year, I will probably place an order with SC.

Back to Ricard: I really can't believe how strong it is! I generally go with something close to the standard 5:1 water:pastis ratio, which results in what I consider a weak tasting drink. But the other night I poured something like 3:1 -- still not very flavorful to me, but I got pretty buzzed off of just one glass!

I'd be curious to hear how you and some of the other experienced drinkers would compare the taste / flavor of Ricard to commercially available absinthes.

By Heiko on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 10:32 am: Edit

I can agree with Deva 70 and the La Bleue I've had recently. A friend and I each had two glasses of the La Bleue and for about two hours didn't even think of having a third glass. It was just overwhelming - but I suspect this might not be wormwood but maybe calamus root or some other herbs they used on this one.
In Deva 70, I guess it's just the high alcohol content.

Try Herring - you can drink 10 glasses in a row and still not feel drunk (or even feel better after one glass when you're already drunk!)

I think some Pastis also have a special inebriating effect: I get drunk rather fast from Bardouin, in another way than from any other alcohol - but it's still a more "drunk" drunkenness than from the La Bleue and Deva 70.

But, drink only absinthe for a month, no other alcohol in that time. Then have three glasses of Ricard pastis and you'll feel so drunk you won't believe it (that's what I experienced).

By Cheri on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 09:31 am: Edit

I've been drinking NS 55, 1:3 with sugar and after two drinks, I am really buzzed. One drink of Deva 70 1:3 and after just one, I could feel it coming on..but it's clearly focused buzz..I'm still there and still able to try and not make an ass of myself. (Now, a few more drinks and who knows) But I've noticed that I become more verbose and daring after a few beers, and not very good at whatever I attempt. It's like this:

Beer/wine/rum - sloppy drunk, silly drunk
Absinthe - spacey, focused, wide eyed drunk who can still dance

I also notice that after drinking a 1:3 Deva or NS 55, my tongue feels numb for a few days afterward!

By Leela on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 08:56 am: Edit

I was drinking Deva (55, not 70) the other night and I usually pour myself 1.5 ounce glasses, which I then add water to at about 1:4 to louche.

I can drink an equal amount of vodka, and not get drunk in quite the same way. But then, 80 proof vodka has less alcohol in it than 110 proof (55%) absinthe. So I actually get more inebriated off the absinthe, but I'm mentally more focussed than on the vodka. I assume the ability to be mentally present and focussed while still being on the alcohol buzz is the secondary effect I'm seeing from the absinthe.

By Tavarua on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 08:17 am: Edit

I am no stranger to strong drink. I like my absinthe on a ratio of 1:2 - 1:3, because I hate any water down flavor. However, when I do drink absinthe, it takes a lot less to conjure up a buzz. I believe this not to be the singular case with myself. I can usually house twice as much pastis, Pernod, than I can with the real deal. Last night, I was drinking NS for the first time and I was inebriated after three drinks in an hour and a half. Supposedly, the wormwood is supposed to strip at least some of the alcohol affect, but this is not the case with me, at least with the brands that I have tried. Then again I typically will not drink more than three at a time. Maybe this weekend I will go balls out and see what the result will be. Does anyone else experience this high intoxication affect. Also, is it the wormwood that adds this affect, contrary to popular belief, that it calms this affect?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation