Finally arrived!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Finally arrived!
By Heiko on Saturday, July 07, 2001 - 12:38 am: Edit

"I've had it for two weeks and it's about 1/3 one. Urp."

Actually, you can easily drink a bottle in 2 weeks. But I wouldn't recommend it - it spoils the fun to drink 3 glasses of absinthe every day. It's only special if you drink it once or twice a week.
Well, how long is Boveresse gone? 21 days and the first bottle of la blanche verte (née absinthe) is gone...
That makes 20 days for a litre, including about 6 glasses I gave away to other people.

The second bottle is supposed to make it much longer - but an SC package is on its way, so no abstinence to come :-)

btw. to mention my favorite "not real Absinthe but a rather good drink" again - Herring: take a bottle, almost full, and two guys who like to drink and stay awake all night long. Time until bottle is emptied: approx. 10 hours...

By Mr_Rabbit on Saturday, July 07, 2001 - 12:10 am: Edit

Sorry, um, I... spilled your absinthe. Yeah... spilled it (hic)

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Right Cheri?

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Or how many nosey children you have.

By Leela on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 10:16 pm: Edit

> Just out of curiosity - how long does a bottle of this size last you?

Depends on how much you drink and how often. Mine seems to be going pretty quickly...I've had it for two weeks and it's about 1/3 one. Urp.

Leela

By Anatomist1 on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 09:26 pm: Edit

M,

Even though I don't know your tastes, I think you may be headed in the wrong direction. Adding sugar to Deva + water only made it more nauseating to me at first. Lukewarm sickly sweet drinks don't get better with more sugar. Try substituting carbonated water for the flat stuff, and/or adding two or three ice cubes. You might even play with a bit of lemon juice...

K.

By Tabreaux on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 03:56 pm: Edit

Deva unquestionably contains added sugar.

By Matei on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 03:46 pm: Edit

It was just a bit more palatable with the extra sugar. I am not partial to anise or black licorice, although the added sugar certainly makes for a wonderful drink.

Just out of curiosity - how long does a bottle of this size last you?

By Anatomist1 on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 03:15 pm: Edit

I would be surprised if Deva didn't already have a good bit of sugar in it already. Do you think you could tell by boiling all the liquid away in a crucible? I bet there's at least one lump per shot.

K.

By Artemis on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 01:45 pm: Edit

Oil slicks are normal in all absinthes. It is after all, a liquor made with the essential oils of various plants. Those oils are in suspension in the alcohol, but they will not stay in suspension in water or watered-down alcohol. That is what the louche is. The oils will of course float on water. Therefore a slick.

All absinthes with a heavy dose of star anise in them (Deva is one of those) present a strong louche, but a more refined, delicate flavor is thereby sacrificed.

Deva is sweet to most people's taste without sugar (does it have sugar already in it? maybe so), but I've never tasted any absinthe that absolutely required sugar to cancel bitterness. The plants used in absinthe other than wormwood all seem to have *apparent* sweetness, as does ethanol.

By Cheri on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 01:38 pm: Edit

I've only had Sebor, NS and Deva so far, but I've got to say that Deva had the prettiest louche! Right now my ritual consists of dripping water from a Nyquil dispenser over sugar cubes in a strainer.. I need to get civilized!!!!!

I've noticed the oil slick in Deva too. I believe it's normal.

By Matei on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Ahhh, finally – after a botched delivery yesterday (that I missed by a mere 15 minutes) my bottle of Deva arrived this morning via FedEx. After a long day I came home and with great satisfaction opened the bottle – to me it smelled heavily of anise. I then prepared myself a glass – after reading some of the other poster’s reviews of Deva I decided not to add sugar – guessing on the amount of water to add. I wasn’t sure of the proper “technique” to add the water, (I know, silly statement but…) so I rather unceremoniously dumped it in. I noticed how it louched as soon as the water was added – most impressive to my inexperienced eye!

My only point of comparison is the wormwood-flavoured wine that I had at my relative’s farm in eastern Romania, along with some Pernod (not the absinthe) that I tried years ago. To me the Deva seemed a lot like Pernod. The wine that I refer to was rather bitter. I don’t feel that the Deva is bitter. At times the anise was overpowering, perhaps I added too little water? It is definitely sweet. I wouldn’t add any sugar either.

I noticed that after my first sip my tongue and gums felt a little numb. Interesting. I also noticed several “oil slicks” floating on the surface. I can’t tell whether these are from the drink itself or from a lousy job of washing the dishes, although I daresay that they are from the Deva.

This is definitely a drink to be sipped and enjoyed – I couldn’t imagine belting this substance down. It is a drink with a kick! I refer not only the anise, but also to the alcohol. I can’t imagine what the benefits would be of drinking the 70o Deva! I am not the most resistant drinker out there (and I’m in Dublin – what a mismatch). I would rather feel the entire drink itself, not just the alcohol.

I’ve been trying to relax to some good music (mostly compilation CD-s that I’ve made) but as I am new in our apartment the puny speakers on my laptop will have to do. Rather under whelming, but infinitely preferable to our ghetto television that only gets the Irish language channel!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation