Crillion Importers - Wormwood Extract -

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Crillion Importers - Wormwood Extract -
By Black Rabbit on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 02:17 pm: Edit

I got it with my spoons too. It is another layer of deception on Crillion's part. Crillion bills Absente as 'absinthe refined' and says it has wormwood in it. Special wormwood, that is. It is a plant they are calling wormwood (ragweed I think, there have been several posts on this on this forum) that doesn't appear in any herb book I have ever seen as wormwood. They are trying to sell you that extract (that you can get MUCH cheaper at your local herb shop) to make the Absente 'absinthe.'

Put simply, no, it won't work. Not really. It might make it *really* hard to choke down Absente if you put too much in. But it is very unlikely to add any secondary effects.

Most (though not all) wormwood extracts are made specifically to leave thujone out of the final product (and whether thujone is responsible for the secondary effects is hotly debated here at least once a month. Neurochemists don't know for sure.)

All in all, not really worth it. Go with a good brand of absinthe (check out the buyers guide.) Try a few to see which ones you like. And wait with the rest of us for Ted and Don to be up and running.

They may as well have written 'snake oil' on the extract bottle. There are many liqour store and bar owners out there a little steamed at Crillion for misrepresenting their product. They are digging the hole deeper. Or maybe they just don't know what they are talking about, and aren't intentionally being false. We have some pretty high standards around here for the most part.

By Artemis on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 02:05 pm: Edit

Wormwood extract is available elsewhere for less money. I have tried adding it to pastis. It makes the pastis taste like shit. It has no other effect that I can tell. It may kill you if you take enough of it, but I kind of hesitated to push that envelope. Save your money for something else.

By Captain Rotundo: Defender of the Universe on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 01:21 pm: Edit

I recently recieved my 'Absente' glasses from crillion importers and they included a small advert for 'Absente Medicinal Wormwood Extract' that claimed to be a strong extract of Atemisia Absinthum (sp?) it had a brief history of the wormwood plant, discussing its uses in greece, and the judeo/christian bible and ultimatly said to take 2 to 4 drops 3 to 5 times a day (i do not have it in front of me so cannot be certain that this is totally acurate) and to consult a physician before using. while the pamphlet does discuss some of its uses for G.I. distress nowhere on it does it say why one would take this so-called 'medicinal wormwood extract'. ultimatly it is $14.95 for a 1 oz bottle, $24.95 for 2, and $34.95 for three bottles I believe. Am I to infer from this that they are suggesting I add this to thier liquor product to get 'real' absinthe? what do you folk make of this? should I order it? I believe it gave wormwood content, but am not sure, and dont have it with me. If anyone here has seen or tried this product respond, if not I can scan in the pamphlet and put it up on the web for you all to look at, maybe you can buy it from the crillion website.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation