Spoon!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Spoon!
By Petermarc on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 10:07 am: Edit

sorry to hear that...it's just i didn't know of any other replica of that la flèche, except phil's...and you are right about the the last line...

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 09:30 am: Edit

Petermarc,

There are no marks on the back and it certainly didn't come from Frenchman. Mine is most certainly a replica. Either that or it's an antique spoon made out of steel with absolutely no signs of wear. Oh and also when I recieved it there was still some fresh rough edges on the bottom of the spoon where the la fleche 'slots' have been pressed out. A decent spoon but a replica most certainly.

I'm not going to name names or make a big deal of this as I can't be bothered getting into a row with someone over this. I've been taken for a ride on more important things in my life so this incident doesn't really warrant me wasting much thought on it. It happened and that's it, so I've lost a little money over this, no point me wasting much time on life's past trivialities as they can't be reversed. Anyway I believe that what goes around comes around sooner or later.

Hobgoblin

By Absinthespoon on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 09:44 pm: Edit

I also have a spoon that I purchased in the Paris flea market very similar to the les Flèches spoons that Phil makes. It has been resilvered, but I do believe it to be a real antique (it is NOT of exactly the same pattern as Phil's, and it was purchased from a reputable silver dealer). Please note all of Phil's spoons come with a maker's mark on the back of the handle "FRENCHMAN" so they cannot be mistaken for antiques. (Phil's spoons are substantially heavier i.e. better made than my antique spoon.) I don't sell any antiques (so far), but my spoons are reproductions, not "fakes".

By Petermarc on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 03:26 pm: Edit

and 2 or 3 years ago, there weren't many fakes(or replicas) around ...are you sure your's is fake?

By Verawench on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 02:22 pm: Edit

Name names! It's been a while since we've had us a proper lynchin'

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Actually in my more naive days, about 2-3 years ago, I purchased a spoon very similar to the ones shown below (not from Frenchman or anyone who regularly posts on this forum). It was sold to me as an 'antique' and I paid good money for it (I could have picked up 4 or 5 genuine antique spoons in a french bric-a-brac shop for the price I paid). I suppose you could say it serves me right for being so dumb. I will not name names but suffice to say that people are not always what they appear to be.

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Awww! Happy Spoonboy!

By Admin on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 02:03 pm: Edit

hehe! Frenchman asked me to post this ... his top secret methods for quality control:

quality control

By Wolfgang on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 07:17 am: Edit

I just sent you an email about your spoons... Who knows, maybe one day I will get my hands on a unsweetened bottle of fine absinthe that will require something fancier than the versinthe spoon ;-)

By Absinthespoon on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 06:52 am: Edit

These are the same spoons. I have purchased most of Mike's stock, but Mike still has some spoons left to sell.

Also, as I said before, the Tour Eiffel is limited because the die was accidentally broken.

As Ian noted, all spoons are stamped with a small maker's mark "FRENCHMAN" on the back of the handle, so they will not be confused with old spoons.

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 01:47 am: Edit

Since Phil doesn't read the forum much these days I will take the liberty of answering on his behalf. Phil (Frenchman Ltd) has been making replica spoons in the fleches #3 pattern for a couple of years and Mike has ben retailing them in the US. The spoons being sold by Absinthespoon are also from Phil's stock. Recently Phil has set up dies to make a number of different replicas, one of which is the Eiffel tower. All of Phils spoons are stamped 'Frenchman' in small leters at the end of the handle to avoid them being passed off as originals.

By Germanandy on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 01:13 am: Edit

i guess mike was the first who sells phils spoons.

andy

By Artemis on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 12:57 am: Edit

Hasn't Mike Iavorone been selling these identical spoons for a long time (seems like a year or better, but maybe not)? I mean the arrow pattern, not the tower - Phil's, Mike's, Absinthespoon's - it's the same spoon, right?

By Heiko on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 08:59 pm: Edit

"Come on Heiko, The Versinthe repro is usable because it's so cheap you can bend it to suit your needs ;-)"

I didn't mention I actually did bend it (in about every way possible). It doesn't look better now and is fairly usable... ;-)

By _Blackjack on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Wow, that's a great idea. I'll have to talk to my pal Johnny (who does tomohawk throwing demos at Mt. Vernon and once made a ballista out of a leaf spring) if he can make me some properly-balanced throwing-spoons!

By Admin on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 10:48 am: Edit

I must concur ... just got the frenchman spoon from the spoonman as well. It is indeed lovely. And as originals, and repros sold as originals by other people, are *completely* out of the range of most of us, frenchman's eiffel is a gem!

And btw, his package arrived NEXT DAY ... best service ever. Of course, we are in the same city, that helps. heh.

By Verawench on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 10:36 am: Edit

You can whine about "fake" spoons when your sole consumption of absinthe consists of vintage. Otherwise you're demanding antique accessories for the drinking ritual of modern day spanish/swiss swill. How silly.

By Morriganlefey on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 10:02 am: Edit

I'm completely with Heiko on the repro vs. antique spoon issue. A reproduction is not a "fake" if it owns up to that fact. It's only reprehensible if the seller claims it to be authentic, original, or antique and it is not (and he/she knows it). Even worse are those Ebay sellers we all know and *love* that pass off 1920s-1960s silver pea spoons and tea strainers as "Upper-Class Expensive Vintage Belle Epoche Absinthe Spoons!" Shameless.

Reproduction spoon sellers like Frenchman Phil, Justin, Absinthespoon, and Mike Ivarro sell a forthright, functional, quality product that allows absintheurs who cannot afford antique spoons to still enjoy the ritual. Bravo. (God, I sound like a commercial...)

- M

By Wolfgang on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 08:06 am: Edit

Come on Heiko, The Versinthe repro is usable because it's so cheap you can bend it to suit your needs ;-)

Anyway I never add sugar so I just use it to stir my louched absinthe a bit.

By Cheri on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 04:29 am: Edit

But the question is: When it comes down to it, would I rather use a drippy cheap fake spoon from SC or the icky, drippy, cheap metal strainer that I'm using now. Life is so full of choices!!!! I just can't handle it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need some absinthe.

By Heiko on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:41 am: Edit

btw. forget the SC (Versinthe-) Repro! It's not even usable, IMO. The water drips over the edges on all sides (i.e. you'll end up with water on the table every time). The only other I have is the Tour Eiffel repro and this is something else: heavy, shiny (hehe!) and very usable.

By Heiko on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 03:32 am: Edit

A repro spoon is not fake. It is only fake if it claims to be antique.

And, yeah, I'm always sooo depressed when I have to use this cheap, cheap, ugly, new (yuck!), spoon. I'm really disgusted by it.

What are we? A bunch of décadentes who believe to get the spirit of Verlaine when sipping overpriced modern absinthe and use expensive antique spoons and glasses?

Sorry, mais je ne suis pas un collecteur.
I like to drink absinthe - antique spoons are nice, but I don't need them to enjoy absinthe. If we want to live the tradition of absinthe, we cannot use antiques forever.

By Verawench on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 11:37 pm: Edit

All my spoons come with sharpened ends. Vintage they are not, but they work wonders for gouging out eyeballs from the head of anyone who boo hoo's too much about my taste in utensils.

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 10:30 pm: Edit

The Old Ones. Like in Cthullu lore?
They'd be hurling us.

By Greenhour on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 10:27 pm: Edit

I'm with you on the throwing contest. Sounds like fun. Nah, all in good fun, I understand function, I do, I own many spoons but the fun is in finding them. The Old Ones! Unless you want to hurl them at eachother.
Toss away!!!
G

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 10:14 pm: Edit

Fake? FAKE???

Have you ever been hit in the head with one? Tell ya what, you and I will sit across the room from each other (apple hat for you, "Edward Sugar-Spoon Hands" for me )and play a little game of William "Burroughs" Tell with vintage spoons and "fake" spoons and then tell me which ones are more "realistic".

Function my friend, function!

By Greenhour on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 10:06 pm: Edit

Ugh, you guys, touting the merits of fake spoons...please.
So depressing.
G

By Absinthespoon on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 09:18 pm: Edit

Thanks for the plug, Jack! These spoons really are substantial; Frenchman has done a fantastic job.

Still having trouble with absinthespoon.com; I hope to have it sorted out in the next few days. In the meantime, check out www.absinthespoon.addr.com

By Heiko on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 03:56 pm: Edit

Segarra improves quite a bit with sugar, I think.

But you're right: I am already a master in the art of breaking a small sugar cube into four pieces so I can use sugar with most brands...

By Morriganlefey on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 03:52 pm: Edit

Ah...I love the spoons, I do. I agree with Vera though - I have a nice little collection of authentic vintage spoons (about 10, in different styles) and since I can't stomach sugar with pretty much ANY modern absinthe, spanish or otherwise, the lovely spoons languish away in my display case. (They occasionally see the light of day to administer sucre to homebrews that are on the bitter side, though!)

- M

By Cheri on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 01:45 pm: Edit

I like NS with sugar.. tried it with and without and prefer the sugar..(right now i use 3 Domino Sugar dots) Deva I don't use the sugar.

By Verawench on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 01:19 pm: Edit

Dunno what you need a spoon for if you're drinking the Spanish stuff, Cheri... I've yet to find a Spanish brand that requires sugar. Nice to have'em though I guess.

By Cheri on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 01:03 pm: Edit

I love a man with a good spoon!

Thanks for the info, Blackjack.. I'm waiting for my K-Mart versions to come from SC. I'd love to get some repros one of these days..

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 10:52 am: Edit

I just recieved 5 new absinthe spoons from forumite Steve (Absinthespoon), only 2 days after I ordered them. They are all repros originally from Frenchman: 4 silver-plate Les Fleches and one new Tour Eiffel. They are all quite nice, and the Fleches are really thick and sturdy. Considering that the only repros I could find a year ago were barely thicker than paper, I think it is pretty cool that the market has grown enough to support quality stuff like this.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation