Happy Friday 13th!!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Happy Friday 13th!!
By Heiko on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 01:15 am: Edit

Talking about Happy Bastille Day:
I just thought something's different in the google logo today...

Bastille Day

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 01:08 am: Edit

Blackjack,

I stay well away from Belfast during July. The whole of July and early August should be cancelled in Northern Ireland. It turns turns otherwise decent people into sectarian bigots.

Hobgoblin

By Tlautrec on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 12:50 am: Edit

Chrysippvs-

I agree that neo-classicism had its great moments; David's Oath of the Horatii is one of my favorites, not to forget, of course, Ingres' grisaille Odalisque. However, do not forget that neo-classicism quickly degenerated into the smarmy and sentimental pseudo-mythological drivel of Bouguereau and Cot, against whom the Barbizon artists and later the Impressionists so understandably reacted. Manet's Dejeuner Sur l'Herbe - my vote for one of the two or three greatest paintings of the 19th century - is a brilliantly ironic, indeed savage, critique of decadence into which neo-classicism so quickly fell.

By _Blackjack on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:33 pm: Edit

Whitch, of course, means yesterday was the 12th of July, which explains the (extra) hell breaking lose in Belfast...

By _Blackjack on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 05:31 pm: Edit

PUDDIN!

By Verawench on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 03:09 pm: Edit

"Nice cat Vera, is it part Siamese?"

Dziab dziab is a true mutt, as pure as they come. He's 2 years old, kills lots of birdies, and loves to be carried around like a little baby. He's the best cat in the world.

J.L. David, on the other hand, sucks.

By Chrysippvs on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Indeed...The Dead Marat is the single most moving painting I have ever scene. I hail David as the greatest artist of the past 300 years, and only a few rival him prior to that. Neo Classicism was so great...

By Admin on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 01:35 pm: Edit

On July 13, 1793, French revolutionary writer Jean Paul Marat was stabbed to death in his bath by Charlotte Corday.

I'll be out tomorrow for Bastillie Festivities! So, here's a Happy Bastille Day to you ALL!

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Friday the 13th. All hell broke loose for me at work today, same as every other day.

Nice cat Vera, is it part Siamese?

Hobgoblin

By Leela on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 11:58 am: Edit

OH yeah, it's Friday the 13th. I knew something was up when I woke up this morning...and I thought it was just a hangover from last night.

Leela

By Raymond1138 on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 11:18 am: Edit

So far the only unlucky thing for me was having to come into work early. But I'm leaving early in protest.

By Cheri on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 11:07 am: Edit

Thank you Dziab!

So far, the day hasn't lived up to it's legacy for me.. but then again, it's not over yet!

By Verawench on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 10:59 am: Edit

Dziab Dziab says... happy friday 13th!

dziabdziab

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation