My Experience with Sebor Absinth

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:My Experience with Sebor Absinth
By br0therben on Sunday, July 30, 2000 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Ted,
YEAH! I told you it wasn't all that bad. And I said it had an herbal character (I guess veggie in nature is more accurate). But did anyone listen? NOOOO It's just crap like all the other Czech stuff... just kidding. I certainly understand why someone would be reluctant to put up the duckets to buy "Absinthe" from the same country that produces Hills and (shudder) Shultz. And it probably isn't worth the money after shipping and all that.
See ya

Ben

By Marc on Saturday, July 29, 2000 - 11:38 am: Edit

Ted,

You're welcome. So, it sounds like your Sebor
experience was better than expected. I have a fondness for Sebor. It was the first absinthe
I ever drank. I enjoyed it then and I enjoy it now. In my opinion, it is easily the best of the
Czech absinthes.

By tabreaux on Saturday, July 29, 2000 - 08:26 am: Edit

Thanks to Marc C, who graciously provided me with a sample, I have finally had the opportunity to taste Sebor Absinth.

The nose was a bit thin and vegetable, but not unpleasant. I measured out a little and diluted with water. There was no louche, but they clearly point out why, so nothing unexpected here. Upon tasting it, it seemed too weak diluted, so I went back and tasted it neat. This liqueur has a certain sharp bitterness, and the anise is present only as a background flavor. There is a fair bit of complexity, but the overall content is somewhat thin (i.e. you can drink it neat easily). The most prevalent flavor is that herbal bitterness, which to me, is akin to freshly cut grass. While not being overly obtrusive, it seems to be vegetable in nature. The presence and character of this flavor tells me something about certain physical aspects of Mr. Sebor's process. Additionally it is clear to me that the ratios of herbs used are markedly different than what I am used to, and the way they are used seems to be a bit different.

While this product tastes very different than classic absinthe, some aspects of the flavor are pleasant, and others a bit strange. Nevertheless, it is the most interesting of the Czech products.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation