Why is Segarra Praised?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Why is Segarra Praised?
By Wolfgang on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 10:18 am: Edit

Segarra is made by a brandy maker and it shows. It's like an herb liquor made with brandy. I see it as a speciality product. Something weird that some like and some don't. Personnaly I like it but most of the time I drink it mixed with Deva and a small quantity of Herring (I mix it in a bottle and wait 2 weeks before pouring the first sip).

The only commercial brand I enjoy without mixing it NS70. The first 2 Oz glass is tasty, very herbal and enjoyable. The second glass makes you want to sing and dance. The third glass put you in a state of contemplation about the emptiness of the universe (in fact that can mean you look like a slobbering drunk but at least you'r not fealing like one).

Serpis, I just can't swallow it down and I realy wonder why some people like it.

As Perruche_Verte told, I would suggest to keep your bottles of Segarra, you may finaly like it later (or mixed). I also do not beleive Mr Julian is realy picking herbs in the mountain as we can see on his web site. He probably buy it or at least grow it in a field. So much for the romance.

By Wolfgang on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 09:40 am: Edit

Quote:

the next time we go through the trouble and expense we did to put on a JL/BEL-sponsored
event, we'd appreciate it if other commercial products and homebrews stayed where they belong....at home. [tabreaux]

If you finally come to Montreal, We will be glad to drink only from your holy grail without having to provide some swill in return (wow! what a deal! and he's asking for it! ;-)).

Wolf.

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 10:10 pm: Edit

"gas station bathroom's french tickler"

My Grandpa owned a Texaco and I can attest to the lack of romance that has. It's a rubber band with nipples that straighten out when worn. What the use?

As for Segarra. Julian is way fucking cool.

CHONGER!!!

By Bob_Chong on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 10:04 pm: Edit

Segarra is cool, man. It is romantic. It is made by a real person, ol' Julian Segarra...collecting his herbs on the arid mountainsides of Chert. It is made from scratch.

Deva and the other mass produced Spanish have about as much romance as a gas station bathroom's french tickler. They are mixed oils and alcohol by some no-name lackey.

AFAIK, there are only two (50-something year old) men in the world who make commercial absinthe personally. One is in Thailand, the other in Chert. I am certain Segarra is no comparison to JL, but that's not the point. I mean, how fucking cool is it that there are really only a couple of artisans making this stuff for us?

And I haven't even addressed the taste. Deva is the McDonald's or the Budweiser of absinthe: trying very hard at remaining mediocre at best. But Segarra is different, which means that some people just won't like it. I like the butterscotchy taste, I like the herbal aftertaste. I like the "brandy-ness" it kind of has.

What am I forgetting?

BC

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Glad to see that resolved amicably.

Soulglow, if you're serious, email me and I'll make you an offer. However, note well that a number of people have found Segarra's taste to grow on them over time. You might want to leave a bottle on your shelf and revisit it on occasion.

By Tabreaux on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 08:46 pm: Edit

Melinelly, everything is ok. No harm done.

By Webfly on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 08:31 pm: Edit

As I sit here, quaffing down the last of Justin's La Bleue I have left, I was hoping this latest tempest in a topette would also be quelled. But I see it's still brewing. I feel so responsible; If I just hadn't mentioned the N word!

Anyway, thanks, Vera and Lord Hobgoblin for the O. Wilde recommendations.

See y'all later.

webfly

By Melinelly on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 08:10 pm: Edit

leela,

we were wondering what happened to you. we missed you. and you missed a wonderful outing. sorry to hear about your (hopefully temporary) turning off. almost brought some serpis just for ya hehe =)

By Melinelly on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 08:07 pm: Edit

yikes, my apologies for implying anything that was taken as a slant towards competition. it was my understanding that what i had tasted was imbibed by a very limited number of tastebuds, and i only meant to compliment said offering in a slightly indirect manner... certainly not to inject any slant towards the Jade products being superior to anyting that has ever passed my lips... whatever the case, my apologies to anyone ticked off by anything i said or anything that has had a negative impact by something i've said... i only had the best of interests.

cheers.

By Zman7 on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 07:53 pm: Edit

I agree with Bryan's earlier post, Segarra has a somewhat mezcal/brandy aroma and taste. It is different, but nice. As for the NS 70, that is now my favorite Spanish (as I sit here enjoying one). My pain is one of suffering from psychological nudity.....

By Verawench on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 07:40 pm: Edit

Rupert suffers from chronic nudity.

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 07:24 pm: Edit

What pain would that be? Have you had surgery recently?

By Rupert1029 on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 06:54 pm: Edit

And it helps ease the pain.

By Rupert1029 on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Simonsuisse, I concur. My taste buds are similiar.

By Simonsuisse on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 06:26 pm: Edit

I must say,when i first tried Segarra a couple of years ago i hated everything about it. Didn't touch the rest of the bottle for months. After months of drinking Deva and growing tired of it i decided to revisit the Segarra. Since then i absolutly love the stuff. The taste, the colour and the Louche. Out of the comercial Spanish i think this and NS are my personal favourites. Does anyone have similar taste buds?

By Rupert1029 on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 06:19 pm: Edit

Segarra is yummy. And it helps ease the pain.

By Artemis on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 02:34 pm: Edit

Ted and I have taken this discussion offline and I will say no more about it here, other than to respond to this:

Quote:

I think Artemis was heading off the notion that he was making and illegally selling homebrew liquor, which as far as I know, he is not.

He is most certainly not now, and never has, sold any kind of liquor, but I was trying to head off any discussion of him, PERIOD, because in spite of what presence he may or may not have had here or elsewhere in the past, he told me a while back that he wanted no further attention.

By Tabreaux on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 01:31 pm: Edit

Artemis,

Understand that I have not pointed a finger specifically at you or anyone in particular for that matter, and there is no need to make a big deal over such a minor issue. I simply intended to make a point to whomever may attend future JL/BEL functions, which as you know, are company-sponsored and are by invitation only. My rhetorical point is simply that if that if a person comes to an invitation-only, company-sponsored function for purposes of marketing, education, socializing or anything else regarding said product, it is inappropriate to bring, display, distribute, or otherwise, another product without permission of the person(s) who are hosting the function. As far as I am concerned regarding the current matter, you have my permission to do just about anything you want, because I trust and respect your judgement. I am emphasizing this however, so that those did not attend or who were not members of the board at the time do not get the wrong idea about the function.

Where the recent N.O. gathering is concerned, I am nothing but grateful that you brought me a sample of a decent homebrew. We constantly receive samples of homebrews that people expect us to evaluate for inexplicable reasons. 99.9% of them are P.F.T. (you can figure what this means), and go to kindling. Of the many that have threatened my senses, Nephilim's was one of maybe three that was a very decent attempt at a modern home-grown product.

And to those who seem confused, there is no mystery. Nephilim is a person from NYC who frequented this board for a short period under the name "the nephilim". He's a nice guy, and we conversed for awhile, having discussion of things that for the most part, had nothing whatsoever to do with absinthe. I think Artemis was heading off the notion that he was making and illegally selling homebrew liquor, which as far as I know, he is not.

By Verawench on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 01:16 pm: Edit

"Since I don't even have the time to read the technical stuff I should, with which work do you recommend I start?"

I've read just about every word he ever put down on paper. So here's the deal: Wilde breaks down into several "stages". His "Renaissance" period (influenced by Pater) from which you could read a poem like "Ravenna", his French-influenced decadent work (most appropriate to the absinthe culture), which includes the poem The Sphinx, the play Salome, and of course Dorian Gray. Then there's the "I gotta pay my boyfriends' bills" work, which consists of light but incredibly brilliant plays: "The Ideal Husband", "Importance of Being Earnest", etc. Read Dorian, Salome, The Sphinx for that fin-de-siecle experience. His essays for cultural and aesthetic theory. The plays for verbal intoxication and timeless paradoxical wit.

And "The Ballad of Reading Gaol" and "De Profundis" to see what Victorian society did to its greatest prophet.

By Leela on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 01:15 pm: Edit

Getting back to Segarra...

I tried it side-by-side with NS (55%) and Deva (55%). I found the Segarra to have a "dried herb" taste that reminded me of earth and straw. I much much prefer the NS.

HOWEVER, on Thursday night I brought out my collection for a bunch of scotch drinkers. (They had just downed two bottles of single-malt, and were ready to move on to something else). They tried the Segarra neat and pronounced it interesting, satisfying, tasty, and so on, and set about trying to identify the herbal flavors.

I think I'm going to always keep a bottle around for guests, since everyone seems to like it best of what I had around (Serpis, Deva, NS, Segarra) except for me. I like the minty-with-coffee-undertones taste of NS.

All I can say from this is -- to each their own. Who cares if someone calls you a Philistine for liking Deva, or La Sala, or Ricard with added wormwood :-) If you get snickered at take comfort in the fact that you're providing entertainment for the rest of this forum :-) I like Deva in Fresca, so there.

By the way, I've lost all taste for alcohol-containing beverages after the aformentioned scotch-drinking party, and so won't be attending the get-together in GG Park today. I can't even face looking at the bottles in my liquor cabinet. Have fun you all!

Leela

By Artemis on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Quote:

With all due respect, the next time we go through the trouble and expense we did to put on a JL/BEL-sponsored event, we'd appreciate it if other commercial products and homebrews stayed where they belong ... (rest of Ted's post snipped for brevity

Ted, either you didn't think this through or your memory of the NOLA event is even worse than mine.

You most certainly did receive a reciprocal invitation. I was the one who brought the product in question to New Orleans, and it was brought specifcially for YOU to taste and critique. But because I forgot to bring it to the one-on-one meeting between you and me, I was forced to bring it to the party the following night. YOU were the first to taste it - I poured you a portion as you sat at the table with your fountain on it.

Only because there was some left over and because people inquired about the craftsman in question was anybody else (a very few people, very discretely, in the alley, not in the club) allowed to taste it at all. There was no promotion involved.

Your gentleman's complaint is duly noted and will certainly be taken into account by me in the future, but to imply that I have not shown you respect is just WRONG! As I said, that stuff would not have been present at all except that because of the respect you command, your opinion was desired by me so I could pass it on to my friend (he had nothing to do with it, by the way).
Your only comment was "I think I know what he did". Other people had other opinions.

I would just as soon the discussion of the person in question had stopped in this thread when I asked that it be stopped, but I submit that at this late date, anything being publicized here is being publicized on *Kallisti's* nickle. And I know for a fact that neither I nor the person in question either desired it or requested it.

By Artemis on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 12:15 pm: Edit

Quote:

Artemis,

No slam taken. Here's one you won't mind: My neighbor just handed me a copy of The Works of Oscar Wilde c. 1927.

Since I don't even have the time to read the technical stuff I should, with which work do you recommend I start?

You give me too much credit. I haven't read anything he wrote, to my knowledge.

By Artemis on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Quote:

artemis:

i don't think mr. N. was being discussed at all. Petermarc referred to his product as "nephilim's," and that is what webfly was asking about.

I didn't say he was being discussed; I sought to put the kibosh on any such *potential* discussion.
I don't know what Webfly *meant*, I only know what he *said*, which was:

Quote:

Petermarc, could you tell me a little about this nephilim?

I read that literally as asking for details about a person, not about a product, and I think I explained pretty well what I wanted to squelch and why. Webfly took no offense and neither should you.

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 12:09 pm: Edit

Webfly,

Assuming it contains his complete works I'd go for Picture of Dorian Grey.

By Tabreaux on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 09:47 am: Edit

"note: i drank it at the new orleans gathering, and it held its own against the other ambrosic elixers offered that night."

???

With all due respect, the next time we go through the trouble and expense we did to put on a JL/BEL-sponsored event, we'd appreciate it if other commercial products and homebrews stayed where they belong....at home. We did not put forth so much effort so bootlegs or other products could be publicized on our nickel, especially when we don't seem to be getting reciprocal invitations. Consider this a gentleman's complaint pursuant to being given a little respect with regard to our own function.

By Webfly on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 09:23 am: Edit

Artemis,

No slam taken. Here's one you won't mind: My neighbor just handed me a copy of The Works of Oscar Wilde c. 1927.

Since I don't even have the time to read the technical stuff I should, with which work do you recommend I start?

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 09:21 am: Edit

Quote:

Life is like an onion, it has many layers and sometimes makes you cry

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 09:07 am: Edit

Who is the FRATER PERDURABO of the Absinthe Forum?

Should we elect one or does one already exist?

By Melinelly on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 08:59 am: Edit

i for one enjoy the creamy woodiness that is a glass of segarra. i can see how people wouldn't like it though for exactly the same tastes i enjoy.

i made a bread pudding with segarra for today's bastille day celebration in golden gate park, and i can say this much: segarra takes to baking like a fish to water, wonderful stuff. (recipe posted on the suffering is hip forum)

artemis:

i don't think mr. N. was being discussed at all. Petermarc referred to his product as "nephilim's," and that is what webfly was asking about. as for what i've had of it, i enjoyed. the alcohol could've used a little smoothing out in the batch i tasted, but all the flavors were very well balanced and in just the right proportions to make my taste buds dance with glee. i only wish i could've had more than a glass. note: i drank it at the new orleans gathering, and it held its own against the other ambrosic elixers offered that night. kudos to he-who-will-not-be-spoken-of for such a fine product.

cheers!

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 08:57 am: Edit

Quote:

We trusted you and bought two bottles of the stuff. Either convince us or offer us a bid to buy it off of us...

Heh heh heh, all the pieces are falling into place.

By Artemis on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 08:45 am: Edit

"Perhaps "personal" references should not be made on a forum of this nature in the first place"

Webfly, I'm sorry; I wasn't trying to slam you, I just wanted to nip that in the bud because the guy has told me recently he wants no attention - hell, he's even disappeared from *my* radar screen and I know the guy.

Marc once gave a party in New York City at which "The Nephilim" was present. If there's ever a similiar gathering again and you can attend, maybe you'll see him face to face, although you probably won't know who it is you're looking at.

By Absinthespoon on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 08:44 am: Edit

I also think Segarra is nasty. It's the one absinthe (so far) that I could not bring myself to finish. The taste really reminds me of furniture polish or some other nasty oily chemical. I do think that particular component or components which I object to are also in the pastis La Muse Verte, which I find drinkable because it's not so overwhelming.
My favorite brands are NS and Deva, both of which I find yummy.

By Artemis on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 08:40 am: Edit

"I've read over and over that, Segarra is the greatest thing to happen to the absinthe world since spoons were produced with holes."

Not here, you haven't. You may have read that here about La Fee or a Ted Breaux absinthe or some other non-commercial absinthe, and if so, you would be reading the (relative) truth. Segarra is better than other Spanish absinthes. It's not anywhere near everything absinthe can and should be.

"And why is it more expensive that most absinthes?"

It's apparently made by a (relatively) tiny distillery - it's a "craft" product, a "boutique" product. It's probably more expensive to make and bring to market than the other Spanish products as a result. That's why.

"We trusted you and bought two bottles of the stuff."

Caveat Emptor. A few years ago, you would have been buying wormwood oil and dosing Ricard with it as a result of reading here. Later, it would have been Sebor, then Lasala, then Deva. People can only give you their experience based upon the universe of products with which they're familiar. We're all (or most of us) learning this as we go along. I used to think Deva was just fine. I said so here. I wasn't a liar, I was merely ignorant.

By Webfly on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 08:30 am: Edit

That's understandable.

Perhaps "personal" references should not be made on a forum of this nature in the first place.

By Artemis on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 08:25 am: Edit

Quote:

How about that, consider the following: Everybody says Serpis is bad. Then little Newbie tries Serpis, thinks it's great. But because everybody says it's bad, little Newbie doesn't dare to write "it's great" because he thinks he will make a fool of himself. So he writes "it's ok". Then, the forum changes its opinion to "Serpis is superiour" - little Newbie is really glad he wasn't that wrong and sings along. Who changed his mind then? Newbie or the forum?

Onion Peelings by Aleister Crowley

The Universe is the Practical Joke of the General
at the Expense of the Particular, quoth FRATER PERDURABO, and laughed.
But those disciples nearest to him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow.
Those next to them laughed, seeing the Universal Joke.
Below these certain disciples wept.
Then certain laughed.
Next others wept.
Next others laughed.
Last came those that wept because they could not
see the Joke, and those that laughed lest they
should be thought not to see the Joke, and thought it safe to act like FRATER PERDURABO.
But though FRATER PERDURABO laughed openly,
He also at the same time wept secretly;
and in Himself he neither laughed nor wept.
Nor did he mean what he said.

By Artemis on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 08:17 am: Edit

"The Nephilim" is a personal friend of mine and I can say with absolute confidence that he does not desire nor would he appreciate any discussion here of him. Objective discussions (reviews) of products that may or may not have been made by him are another matter.

By Webfly on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 07:54 am: Edit

Individual preference is definitely the only factor to consider when discussing tastes. Also, because of the complexity of good absinthes, one may need to develop a taste for a new absinthe all over again, just as most of us undoubtably had to develop a taste for the first absinthe we tried, scotch, dry wines, etc., etc.

I tell people who are trying absinthe for the first time that they may taste something different each time they take a sip.

In developing an appreciation for a given absinthe,it helps to experiment with the dilution and the amount of sugar (or no sugar). Lately, I have enjoyed Spanish with a small amount of sugar and a larger absinthe/water ratio in favor of the absinthe.

Petermarc, could you tell me a little about this nephilim?

Take care out there.

webfly

By Bryan on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 07:40 am: Edit

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed an almost "Mezcal" flavor in Segarra? I got my first bottle of it a few weeks ago and was very surprised by that flavor.

By Petermarc on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 06:24 am: Edit

taste is a highly individual, personal experience...there is no wrong (how could zelena muzo(sp?) be marketed?)...only disagreement or agreement and how well you can convince others of your opinion...however, 'comparison' is another thing altogether...i like la sala, most do not (even though it is the easiest absinthe to find in barcelona, for some reason)...but then again, out of around 30 absinthes i have tasted, only 2 have been spanish...however, there is no comparison to vintage berger, JL, nephilim's, andy's,etc...

By Heiko on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 04:29 am: Edit

Hobgoblin,

say Serpis as often as you like - I think it has a little nasty aftertaste. Some 'chemical' taste that makes me want to drink something else after one glass.

btw. I said quite often that I like Herring (depending on set and setting) - but nobody agreed to that yet... I don't think I will convince anybody...

How about that, consider the following: Everybody says Serpis is bad. Then little Newbie tries Serpis, thinks it's great. But because everybody says it's bad, little Newbie doesn't dare to write "it's great" because he thinks he will make a fool of himself. So he writes "it's ok". Then, the forum changes its opinion to "Serpis is superiour" - little Newbie is really glad he wasn't that wrong and sings along. Who changed his mind then? Newbie or the forum?

Individual taste varies and also changes...
Order a bottle of every brand (one at a time!) and try it. That's the only way you can say what you like - up to now I was surprised by almost every bottle I opened. The reviews can't help that much IMO.

By Heiko on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 04:07 am: Edit

I thought Segarra was very exotic and unique when I first tried it. But actually it contains more flavors you will find in La Bleue than all the other Spanish (I can't comment on NS yet, I'll get my first bottle of it in a few days). Segarra is not good enough to be just like good La Bleue - but it comes closer to what you can expect from it than f.e. Deva.
I agree there's some flavor in Segarra that produces a little nasty aftertaste - but that vanishes if you use sugar and enough water.
There's one flavor in it that adds to the butterscotch taste which I found to be present in more brands. I can't say what it is, I thought it was unique in Segarra until I went to Boveresse. I had a glass (plastic cup...) of Neuchâtel Blanche (a regional anise) and thought "Segarra" because of this flavor. I found it to be present even in the vintage Berger as long as I only smelt it (the taste of it was so fresh and complex I couldn't single out any special flavor tho).

I think Segarra is closer to real absinthe than any other of the Spanish - only the recipe might be improved a little because there are some few negative aspects in taste. I suspect with some little changes, it could be just like La Bleue.

I just tasted a few drops of La Bleue to be sure - the kind of "nutritious", buttery, even chalky taste is there - only it's better covered by some more anise (and maybe mint?). That's why I think Segarra improves very much if you mix a little Deva (or other brand with much anise) in it...

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 03:32 am: Edit

Soulglow,

I agree it's nothing special. Serpis is my favorite poison. It all boils down to individual taste. But all it takes is for a few people to write on many ocassions that Sepris is superior and you get people who think it's mediocre starting to think it's great because that's what they believe they ought to think

Hobgoblin

By Soulglow on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 03:13 am: Edit

I've read over and over that, Segarra is the greatest thing to happen to the absinthe world since spoons were produced with holes. Me and my friend couldnt not find the luring properties of Segerra. Anticipation filled our heads as we smelled the Segarra and found a slight butterscotch smell; unique from all other absinthes we've tried. We had the traditional drink of absinthe with sugar and water only to find a rather chalky taste to Segerra that we could not ignore. We even tried an untainted version by trying a 'shot' of Segarra. We didnt mind the alcohol burnig so much as the nasty dirt like after taste. So what exactly is it that people find so great about Segarra? And why is it more expensive that most absinthes? Maybe NS is just superior or more traditional in taste (we wre drinking that at the same time)and Segarra is just more exotic because of its unique taste. But we could just not appreaciate it. Try to convince of the wonders of Segarra. I mean you Segarra lovers owe it to us. We trusted you and bought two bottles of the stuff. Either convince us or offer us a bid to buy it off of us.... dont reduce us to the humiliation of offering 'Actual Segerra Absinthe as used in Moulin rouge' on E-Bay.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation