Kallisti and the winespectator...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Kallisti and the winespectator...
By Admin on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 05:59 pm: Edit

"Gauzy" & "Evocative" ... I'm ok with that.

"Obsessive" ... definately.

Thanks Peter for the hot tip!

By Ekmass on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 01:49 pm: Edit

my oh my. I see that intoxicating green liquer has gone to sock man's head

By Petermarc on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 01:25 pm: Edit

wow, this really changed from the winespectator...what would they think?
fuck 'em! and their full-page absente ads...

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 12:34 pm: Edit

My monkeys say "Hi"

Ooo! Oooh! OOHH!!!

They're a little "dirty" of course.

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 12:23 pm: Edit

And a PROUD monkey too!

By Petermarc on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 11:52 am: Edit

happy sock monkeysock

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 09:45 am: Edit

They're delivering socks.

By Artemis on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 09:41 am: Edit

Thanks, Head.

Your Flying Monkees are now on my monitor as "wallpaper". Very nice. What gifts do they bear?

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 09:29 am: Edit

Artemis, I have sent her the request.

By Artemis on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 08:50 am: Edit

Heiko, Head is making a play on words - those nipple hubcaps are called "pasties".

That article got some things right. At least they found and read at least some of this website before publication.

They put Absente (if that's what they meant by "Absenthe") in its place and gave us credit for obsessing about absinthe.

Head, I need to get in touch with you. If you don't want to post an email address, could you send it to Kallisti so she can route it to me? Or vice versa, whatever.

By Heiko on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 08:10 am: Edit

pastis silicone?
are you sure?

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 08:06 am: Edit

Now there are all kinda pastis, but these right here these are my favorite...
WOO WOO!!! HUBBA HUBBA!!!

By Heiko on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 04:39 am: Edit

...should read "Janot", not "Janod"...

By Heiko on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 04:38 am: Edit

Grimbergen,
do you know all the mentioned brands? I'm interested in what Duval and Casanis taste like. What's your favorite pastis?

What I found to be strange is that Bardouin is advertised to be special because it's distilled, while Janod claims that usually pastis is distilled and only they use the "special method" of maceration...

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 12:39 am: Edit

My oh my, this review has upset some people. We can't have 'smarmy Europeans' writing stuff like this.

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 12:29 am: Edit

Or maybe scream "REVIEW THIS!" and toss in a Molotov cocktail.

By Grimbergen on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 12:02 am: Edit

What complete pretentious swill. Everyone involved with the writing of that article should have their heads pulled out of their asses just long enough to have the shit kicked out of them. Articles like this are why I can't stand wine folk. The writer was so busy trying to spew out the accepted snobby position about what is "good pastis" that he failed to realize that the schmucks at Provence are the french equivalent of the type of moron who will talk forever about why Miller lite is better than Bud lite (or whatever the hell swill is currently in vogue).

I pass by that that bar about 4 times a year, and I hereby swear that the next time I'm in the neighborhood I will stick my head in the door long enough to hurl a few obscenities at them and spit on the floor. Seems like a nice french solution, eh?

By Heiko on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 11:25 pm: Edit

I also liked that one: "Clouds -- or 'louches', if you're part of the absinthe crowd"

I am part of the absinthe kraut - what is my secret word for 'louche' then? ;-)

By Heiko on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 11:16 pm: Edit

I was also wondering what it tastes like. I have just bought a bottle of Janot and Louis Garagai (also from Janot destilleries). I must say the Janot tastes somewhat similar to Ricard and the Garagai tastes almost like Bardouin, even a little better, maybe (I also love Bardouin, the taste is addicting, especially with ice-cold water). I wonder why they didn't mention any of these Pastis in the article - on the other hand I have never heard of Duval or Casanis...

I laughed out loud as I read the Pernod review though - exactly right, nothing you'd like to drink, only for cooking :-)

By Absinthespoon on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Does anyone who likes pastis have an opinion of Casanis? (sounded good from the article) I haven't tried that one. I love Pastis 51 (wish it was available in US, I bring it back when I go to France) and Bardouin (yay! I finally found it at Beltramos.) My German colleague turned me on to Bardouin (so-called "grand cru du pastis")

By Verawench on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 05:36 pm: Edit

hey! who else is up for some "convulsions, hallucinations, rapturous esthetic visions"????

By Petermarc on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 05:15 pm: Edit

well, finally someone reported the right site...although a bit snooty about it, considering how poorly informed they are...
http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Spectator/Feature/071201pastis.html

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation