Look! There's a spider on your back!!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Look! There's a spider on your back!!
By Admin on Sunday, September 09, 2001 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Heh.

*curtsies*

By Bob_Chong on Sunday, September 09, 2001 - 08:22 pm: Edit

I killed three gigantic spiders around my yard recently, all the same variety. When I tried to look up what they could be (I always smashed them beyond recognition, so I had to go by memory), I think they may have been "common house spiders." I laughed to myself about that, because I was certain they had to be poisonous or something. They were bigger than and similar shape as black widows, but with different coloration. Maybe I'll capture the next one and hop on the spider forum.

Anyway, I still think your original post's title was funny--that there's a spider on one's back and they are being told via this forum. LOL.

BC

By Admin on Saturday, September 08, 2001 - 10:15 pm: Edit

ha! I actually got a diagnosis on Mr. Creepy. I posted a message to the "Spider Forum" (yay!) and they duly answered my query in depth.

This is what Jeff had to say:

Quote:

you have a male steatoda grossa. harmless. that species is commonly found around houses and buildings. adult males often accidentally end up inside homes in search of females, as you have seen. the females are not necessarily in your house, but they are around it, for example, in your garage and under the house and all around the outside of it. sometimes the females end up in homes during the colder months in search of heat. i visit lafayette each year, which is in contra costa county, and they are all over the place. with the possible exception of northern california, they are extremely common throughout the state, especially around suburban areas.

http://www.insecthobbyist.com/forum/spiders//index.html

By Bob_Chong on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 11:57 pm: Edit

Just wanted to push this one back up to the top, as it is hilarious.

Bob

By _Blackjack on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 04:30 pm: Edit

I can't see well enough to count the eyes, but if it has six, it looks like a Dysdera, or cell spider, of some sort. They do, in fact, have rather nasty looking fangs. They're for eating pillbugs.

By Admin on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 03:23 pm: Edit

oh, and can anyone tell me what kinda spider this is?

my li'l house is full of them. they're about 1/2" big. Mr. Creepy wants a name.

By Admin on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 03:17 pm: Edit

Haha! are you &*@#*&! kidding?

You bet.

"I had the pear dream again."

By Rimbaud on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 11:13 am: Edit

So, Kallisti...you're a Kids In The Hall fan, eh?
Me too!

By Admin on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 09:22 am: Edit

This pic was taken with an additional lense & lense adapter ... check out the kodak.com site, under accessories it'll tell you what lenses you can use and the adapter. I can actually get much closer, but 2" was almost too close for me & Mr. Creepy.

By Verawench on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 06:30 am: Edit

Hmm.. I've got the KOdak DC3400 and it takes lousy close ups. And I paid $370 for mine.

By Admin on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 12:07 am: Edit

no problem ... it's the Kodak 3400 with optional lense adapter & lenses, and got it for $309 at buy.com (sans lenses). Takes lovely shots. And the closeups are groovy. I was about 2" from Mr. Creepy. I could hardly stand to take the shots. But they are such good future art fodder, and he my rather unwilling captive.

you can get camera specs from the kodak.com site.

By Cheese on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 12:02 am: Edit

Very nice. What did you get and for what $ if you don't mind me askin'.

By Admin on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 11:32 pm: Edit

Mr. Creepy

Just got a new digital camera, and tested the close-up lense on a little visitor trapped in my bathtub.

Just wanted to share. Nice fangs, eh?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation