Remembering Wormwood

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Remembering Wormwood
By Heiko on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 09:59 am: Edit

That just reminded me of the Simpsons episode where Homer becomes a missionary on this island in the South Pacific.
No beer, no couch, no tv...and Homer licking toads. One of the best episodes!

..."but I don't even believe in Jebus!"... ;-)

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 05:56 am: Edit

I don't even want to think about what people do for fun in North Queensland. Usually this involves sheep and gumboots...

By Wormwood on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 03:53 am: Edit

There is a wormwood flavored liquor popular in poland and eastern europe called piolinkovac. I have seen bottles from Poland Croatia and the Czech Republic.

I might have the spelling wrong.

P.S. One of the reasons wormwood is a terrible weed is cows like to chew it too. The milk will taste like wormwood for days.

By Missthing on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 10:27 pm: Edit

People lick Cane Toads for fun in North Queensland - if they're lucky, they don't die ;)

By Verawench on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 05:05 pm: Edit

lol, we had no idea about the "effects"... just knew it was the nasties, most bitter tasting thing you could dare someone to chew.

My mom tells me it is still used to treat upset stomachs. No surprise there.

By Btyre on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Chewing on a leaf, huh?

Is that kind of like the Beavis and Butthead episode where they try to get high by licking the frog?

By Verawench on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 02:45 pm: Edit

I've seen pictures of artemisia a. before but somehow my mind never made the connection... till now.

Piolun! That's what the herb is called in Polish! I remember it well from my childhood in Poland: it was a common weed to be exterminated or ignored. Or better yet, you'd dare your playmate to chew on a leaf...

Strange to remember this now... hmm..

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation