Hill's

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Hill's
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through July 31, 2000  2   07/31 06:44am

By Dengar on Tuesday, August 01, 2000 - 07:34 am: Edit

I share a flat in downtown Stockholm with Salacious Crumb...

Sorry! Guess I went off the topic, just couldn't resist the invitation.

:P

By BloodStreamRuns on Tuesday, August 01, 2000 - 07:10 am: Edit

Wouldn't have thought an intergalactic bounty hunter would live in Stockholm...

By Dengar on Tuesday, August 01, 2000 - 06:33 am: Edit

Think I'll try a glass so I can settle this once and for all. Anybody knows of a place in Stockholm that serves Hill's?

Finns det några andra svenskar här? :)

By tabreaux on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 09:02 am: Edit

The best way I can describe the taste is sharp, bitter, and synthetic. It tastes, well, 'industrial'....kind of like a paint solvent. It doesn't taste herbal, and it doesn't taste familiar.

By Absinthedrinker on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 08:53 am: Edit

It similar to Trenet and Pere Kermann and nothing like any of the Spanish brands. No louche, no anise. If you can find it in a local bar try a glass rather than buy a bottle.

Absinthedrinker

By Dengar on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 08:17 am: Edit

[Ted]:"The marketers took advantage of the fact that the public, like themselves, have a virtually no knowledge of what classic absinthe was like."

Absolutely! But if you’re correct (and I’m sure that you are!) none of better brands like Deva doesn’t taste like the classic ones either, and these are usually considered quite enjoyable.

The question is: What does Hill’s taste like? Unfortunately the review in the Buyers guide isn’t much help. Does it taste much of anise, like Deva and MM? By the way; I’ve changed my mind about getting a bottle. I may be curious, but I’m not £40 curious”!

By tabreaux on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 07:53 am: Edit

It's not that Hill's is undrinkable, it's just that if the word "Absinth" did not appear on the bottle, you wouldn't guess it was supposed to be absinthe any more than you'd guess vodka or gin was.

Hill's was a commercial success not because the product, but because of the marketing. The marketers took advantage of the fact that the public, like themselves, have a virtually no knowledge of what classic absinthe was like.

If you get a bottle of Hill's, what you'l realize is that this stuff has almost no flavor, and tastes maybe like off-spec vodka.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation