I found the lemon in NS...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: I found the lemon in NS...
By Simonsuisse on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 02:44 pm: Edit

I couldn't care less wheather Serpis was red, yellow, green or clear. I always judge by taste before colour. I don't think Serpis is that bad. It's certainly better than others. But it just seems to have a taste, which i can only describe as 'honey mellon'. This then seems to be followed by a sour after taste. Although you do feel the tingle sometimes . Which i suppose is a good sign.

By Simonsuisse on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 02:44 pm: Edit

I couldn't care less wheather Serpis was red, yellow, green or clear. I always judge by taste before colour. I don't think Serpis is that bad. It's certainly better than others. But it just seems to have a taste, which i can only describe as 'honey mellon'. This then seems to be followed by a sour after taste. Although you do feel the tingle sometimes . Which i suppose is a good sign.

By Leela on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 11:21 am: Edit

Ohh, sounds appealing Heiko! I'll try it today!

Leela

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 07:09 am: Edit

Perhaps a blind taste test is in order?

"Mrs. Winslow doesn't it know but we changed her regular coffee with Chock FullO'Dicksn'Nuts coffee..."

Blindfolded Mrs. Winslow = Mmmm! (grins) it tastes great and there's a real familiar tang to it.

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 07:09 am: Edit

Perhaps a blind taste test is in order?

"Mrs. Winslow doesn't it know but we changed her regular coffee with Chock FullO'Dicksn'Nuts coffee..."

Blindfolded Mrs. Winslow = Mmmm! (grins) it tastes great and there's a real familiar tang to it.

By Heiko on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 02:36 am: Edit

Hobgoblin,

I've once mixed Segarra with Serpis half and half - it tastes absolutely great. Only the color is the worst reddish brown I've ever seen...

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 02:23 am: Edit

I'm with the Head, Serpis tastes great. Who cares whether it's 'traditional', 'modern', 'absinthe', 'pseudo-absinthe', green, yellow, red or striped, if it tastes great it tastes great.

I'll bet that if Serpis was green and not red a few more people would find it to their liking.

By Heiko on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 02:21 am: Edit

"Unless they just changed the formulation, I would not compare NS to Herring."

You're right - no real comparison. I like a glass of NS as a really good drink, while I only bought Herring for party-drinking/mixing. But I'm not sure anymore if I should have bought Montana for that reason (as you said, it's not that strong on the lemon taste). NS has only a little of that lemon - but I didn't expect it at all, so I was surprised.
I've had a glass of 2 parts Segarra and 1 part NS last night and it was really good - the power of mixing once again! :-)

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Crappy Poems by Head

Serpis tastes red
NS tastes green
Lasala is yellow
Montana strych-neen

Segarra is bark
with a touch of agave
You can louche, you can louche
yet it's still hot as Mojave

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 09:26 pm: Edit

I don't care if it isn't traditional Absinthe. As a stand alone liquor, I goddamn love Serpis! It's the fricken scheiße BOIOIOIOIOYYY!!!

ROCK ON DETROITY-OITY-OITY!!!
300 More Years of HELL'S NIGHT HORROR!

By Simonsuisse on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 05:45 pm: Edit

Wolfgang,
You sound as though you have the same taste buds i had a year ago. I totally agree. Deva,NS and Segarra are my favourite out of the comercial spanish brands. Segarra being top, then NS and finally Deva 50%. I used to get real hungry and drible over tge thought of Deva. But you grow tired and realise those other spanish contendors. However, i can't stand the lemon pledge of Lasala and even more so Herring.Montana has it too but not so badly. But then again it's very weak and bland.
I'd say without fail the best tasting absinthe, aswell as substitutes i've tried would be: Vintage Pernod Fils, then Spanish home brew, then La Bleue, then Segarra, then NS 70 and 55% and finally Versinthe.

By Wolfgang on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 06:37 am: Edit

Unless they just changed the formulation, I would not compare NS to Herring. In NS there's maybe a small drop of lemon, in Herring, half of the bottle is artificial lemon juice.

I personaly think the perfect "must be tasted by all newbies" trio is Segarra, NS and Deva.

Yes I still put Deva on the best list. It's cheap and efficient and if you like anis very much, it's not bad. There's also a musky taste in Deva that I like and couln't find in other brand.

This week I finished my last bottle of Segarra with smoked oysters...hummmm, it was so good ;-) Now I don't know when I will order again...(Same story again, will I send an order to SC or should I keep my money for Jade's just in case it's available in less than 2-3 month...damn it!).

---end of rave---

By Heiko on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 04:47 am: Edit

Segarra,
it's a long time since I've had my last glass of Segarra. Now, after I've had quite some La Bleue, Segarra is the only brand that tastes like 'real absinthe' to me. Could have a little more anise, IMO - but it doesn't taste exceptional/special to me anymore. Tastes familiar, reminds me of Boveresse (even I didn't have a single drop of it there). It's this one special taste/smell that I recognized in different amounts in every drink from Neuchatel blanche anise to Berger that's extremely dominant in Segarra. I can't identify what it is, but it is part of the butterscotch flavor, makes the drink full bodied, round, 'nutritious' and natural in comparison to a sharp and rather chemical taste in other Spanish.

Conclusion: NS is the best Spanish brand - it's got a definitely Spanish Absenta character and it's the king of that class. Segarra comes from Spain but isn't 'Spanish Absenta' it's more kind of a La Bleue from abroad. Different, but more Swiss than Spanish...something like that...

By Heiko on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 04:26 am: Edit

I just received my first bottle of NS 55%, opened it immediately, smelt it and thought "lemon pledge"!
The taste of Herring/Lasala/Montana, this special citrus taste is definitely there - even it is not predominant in taste (but in smell!). There's more herbs to taste in NS, the color is nice as well as the louche. My first impression is that it combines flavors of all the other Spanish absinthes in a nice way. But I can't understand how somebody could hate Lasala/Herring and love NS.

Montana, I've only had one glass of it some time ago, but my memory served me correctly: very weak taste, weak louche - take all of the flavors from NS except for some wormwood and lemon, that's Montana. Add some more lemon and you have Herring...nah, Herring is even a little weaker in flavor and less bitter than Montana. Montana is better than Herring, definitely (but still similar)

I think I'd freak if I didn't like that lemon taste - the only bottle in the package that doesn't have this taste is Segarra...

Wow, I start smiling and laughing for no reason only because I have tried half a glass of NS and half a glass of Montana - seems to be good (well, I haven't had any absinthe for at least two weeks). And the cravings for a cigarette are real bad - but I will resist. I quit smoking four days ago...and now that I've told as many people as I could, I'd rather kill myself than start again. I'm a man of honor, you must know - what I say is true. I never tell bullshit and if I ever realize I did, I'm deeply embarassed. I could talk for hours right now, hehe...;-)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation