Brand Reviews Revisited

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Brand Reviews Revisited
By Heiko on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 12:41 am: Edit

Hehe, just like I do - I'm a total computer freak and just because I am when I don't want to forget something, I write it on a piece of paper and tape it to my door...
Use Outlook for that? No way! Everything computer related takes too much time and is too unstable to be safe and reliable. I'm talking from a lot of experience...

Computers are (except maybe for email and web fora, uh, Latin...) a big plaything, nothing more.

First I thought the mail from BEL was part of my halluzination - I don't know exactly what I did yesterday, but I'm still drunk...

By Verawench on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 09:22 pm: Edit

::snickers::

y'all are a buncha crazy green chuggin mofos. i love y'all.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Use a paper and pencil Vera, All those computer thing will lead us to Hell... ;-) Whaaaa!!! LOL

Wolf (Who infused probably too much mint in his deva-sagarra mix....it`s the mint I tell you, the mint! )

By Martin on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Vera,

Use Quattro instead because Microsoft is stupid. ;-P

-M.

By Verawench on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 06:49 pm: Edit

Keep'em coming, kids, I'm working on a nice little Excell chart with the good the bad and the smelly.

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Oh I totally forgot Herring...

Go figure?

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 04:49 pm: Edit

I almost forgot...

Mari Mayans = Second cousin to Starz O'plenty
Deva70 = Errr. I like regular DEVA better.
NS50 = It's like a garden in my mouth. Pleasing.

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 04:45 pm: Edit

Simple reviews by Head_Prosthesis
(He don't know muskrat from possum, folks)

Starz O'plenty = Expensive chemical by-product
Lasala = Cheap (Sounds festive but uh uhhh!!!)
Montana = Cheap (Nothing like the state)
DEVA = Decent (Nice stout bottle, like a Foe-ty!)
Segarra = Mmmm. Like woody tequila.
Serpis = Love the color, LOVE IT!!! It's like Merthiolate* for the soul.
La Bleue = The one I tried. Really clean DEVA.

*or Mercurochrome

By Wolfgang on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 11:40 am: Edit

Well, I'm profoundly bored too so let`s do like grandpa and let`s tell the same thing over and over again ;-)

* = I will buy it again

Deva70
My first love! I discovered absinthe when they put this product on the market. Very similar to Deva50 but just a little bit more concentrated (you can add more water to it and still have a nice drink). Nice effect, nice louche and (artificial)color, too much sugar in it.

Deva50 *
Because there`s less alcohol in this one, you can drink more before getting hammered. Nice generic product. A nice and cheap introduction absinthe if you like anis very much. I also like this little musky aftertaste in it. Too much sugar. Effect is there.

NS55 *
Interesting. Very herbal with a bit of cardamone. Olive green, nice louche, some effects are there too.

NS70 *
Power stuff! You will be drunk, spaced out, overwhelmed. Taste similar to the regular NS but then again with an higher concentration. If you want to get an high proof absinthe, this is a better deal than Deva70.

Herring
Lemon pledge at power 10! Bad. Effect ? I don't care, I can't down a single glass so...

Segarra *
Complex insistant taste. Reminds me of spanish brandy and butterscotch. Great with smoked oysters. It also makes an interesting mixed absinthe with Deva50 (50/50). At first you may not like it but eventualy it get's better (or you just get use to it, I'm not sure).

Serpis
It`s RED and extremely woody. I don't like it. Effect ? You must be crazy already just to drink it so...

Sebor
I only smelled the stinking mess that was left out of the broken bottle I got maybe 6 months ago so I can`t report. Maybe one day I will order another bottle just to have a taste (but I don't like those damn 0.5 L bottles that sell's for the price of 1L of most spanish)

Jade's
Shall I be a sucker and beg Ted again to come down to Montreal for a tasting ?

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 07:03 am: Edit

Oh Martin...

By Martin on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 01:58 am: Edit

Deva 50 - Probably my favorite looking louche (a nearly opaque minty-milky greenish white). The dark, woody taste is definately there. Its sweet, but it doesn't turn nasty with sugar added, and it does well without sugar on its own. I start feeling good effects after two glasses. Even if I try something that I find to be considerably better, it will always be a favorite.

Segarra - Another favorite, but for different reasons. You can really taste the extra care and work that went into it. The herbs really stand out. Nice to drink when I'm feeling especially "sophisticated" and uppity and want something fancy. Gets a sort of subdued "effect" but I care more about the taste. Tastes best without sugar, but not nasty with. Mixes really with with orange juice. Its excellent to cook with, especially with Asian food, it retains it's "butterscotchy" character very well in stir-fry. Ugly, nasty looking louche I could really do without.

Serpis - Pretty red color makes a hideous louche. Rather bitter, but not in a bad way. Not too much anise, but definately there. Probably best with sugar, mixes suprisingly well with Fresca. Very pronounced effects... very nice. Made me puke when I tried drinking it straight.

Herring - I am also a Herring fetishist along with Heiko. The taste is light and lemony in a way I really enjoy. Too weak if you add water and sugar; I think it's best straight over ice. Excellent party drink, especially if you want to drink ALOT of it. Good effects, I even got some fun spacial distortions (but that was probably from the alcohol). Always a favorite.

Mari Mayans 70% - Crazy green with a pretty white louche. Way too one-dimensional to be very interesting, but the heavy anise flavor and high alcohol make it excellent for mixing. I really like it in French Martinis (with Vermouth and Vodka). Tastes horrid if sugar is added. Any effects are definately because of the high alcohol (and possibly the high anise? Let us not forget the eerie effects of Ouzo). All around good for mixing, but not much else.

Sebor - Its kind of hard to remember because I haven't had it in awhile. I remember that I really wanted to get some more when I ran out (but I opted for Deva instead because I wanted to try something different). Beautiful emerald green color, but no louche to speak of. Nice sweet herbal flavor, somewhat like Yellow Chartreause, but not really. Can't remember much else about it, other than I really liked it. Mixes really well with 7-Up or Sprite. I plan on getting some more soon.

Muse Verte Pastis - Coloring and louche much like Segarra. The flavor is reminiscent of Deva, but not as dark and a bit more liquorice-y. A decent pastis that puts modern Pernod to shame. A little overpriced IMO.

Well, that's what I think.. like any of you give a shit.

-Martin

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 10:14 am: Edit

Deva 50 : Strong anise flavour which I personally like (although very little other herbs can be tasted). Great milky louche. A pleasant tasting absinthe for those with a sweet tooth (like me).

Segarra : Good honey flavour with an underlying bitterness. Not bad but the too many competing flavours spoil it a bit.

Sebor : Nice oily texture. No louche however. A sort of 'medicinal' flavour with definite wormwood in the background and anise in the foreground. I like it very much.

Serpis : Flavour is different. Quite bitter with some anise flavour. However the other (main) flavours of Serpis, I have no idea what they taste of except that they taste good. Shocking Red colour and orange louche. A tasty absinthe with good effects.

Mari Mayans : Shocking flourescent green colour. IMO it tastes like flavoured vodka. Tastes very 'alcoholic'. No absinthe effects. I don't like it.

Lassala : Tastes a bit 'thin'. Anise flavour with a hint of something else. Drinkable but fairly average.

Montana : Also tastes a bit 'thin'. In the same bracket as Lassala although Lassala is better.

Jade Absinthes : Only tasted 3 of these. Absinthe Edouard is the best and is fabulous with Nouvelle Orleans coming a close second.

By Artemis on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 08:22 am: Edit

Deva 50 - Heavy anise with muddy overcooked undertone. Not well made and it shows.

Segarra - Butterscotchy herbal. Way different from other absinthes, but in a pleasant way.

Serpis - Hard to get past that "red" beetlejuice flavor, but not nearly as bad as Lasala. Fairly intense, consistent "absinthe effect", but I can't enjoy the flavor enough to drink it for the effect.

Mari Mayans 70 - Heavy star anise. What I thought was wormwood in my buyer's guide review, isn't. There's some phrases in there I would take back if I could.

La Fee - Fairly nice balance of anise/mint/wormwood. Candy-like. It also has the Deva swampy undertone, just not as strong.

La Bleue - What I've had was clean and well made with solid wormwood flavor and excellent effects. Simple, not complex. Wormwood, anise, fennel. Can't specify type because I don't know where it came from.

I wouldn't spit on any of them, but I wouldn't buy any but La Fee and La Bleue and only then if I could get them at a price considerably less than that at which they're available.

By Tabreaux on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 07:28 am: Edit

Don't open it. If it is a corked mini, you can draw a sample with an insulin syringe.

By Thegreenimp on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 10:26 pm: Edit

Ah! to be be Jaded again!......Nouvelle Orleans, tastes like bottled Springtime.......Edouard, like bottled Summertime.
Now if I could only bring myself to open that vintage Herbsaint mini..................Jay

By Absinthespoon on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Deva 50: deliciously woodsy
Deva 70: gets me to step 3 with one drink
Segarra: yechh (Lemon Pledge), but I have to revisit it
Serpis: my S.O.'s favorite
Mari Mayans: the 200 ml bottles are great for travelling. yummy
NS (you didn't ask): yummmmmmmmm....
Jade: dying to try it...

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 09:27 pm: Edit

I walk, with you...

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 09:25 pm: Edit

In dreams...

By Leela on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Damn cat!

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 07:04 pm: Edit

I was the master of a huge stone castle sitting on the edge of the sea. I mean right on the edge. Waves were crashing against the walls. I walked along the side of the castle walls. It was dark and stormy. I was wearing a heavy black cloak that protected me from the wind and rain. In the cracks between the stones there were eyes staring out at me and hands reaching out. I was walking out further and further along the jetty the castle was built on. By the time I got to the tip there were penises in the cracks of the walls.

Then the cat ran across my groin and I woke up.

By Verawench on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 06:47 pm: Edit

Any interesting dreams? My most interesting ones happen during naps.

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 06:46 pm: Edit

...somebody took my been's...

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 06:41 pm: Edit

"Where's the FUN?" I'm right here baby. I've napping in between the silences on the Forum.

By Verawench on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 06:14 pm: Edit

Have we all taken to the streets of Genoa? Or lapsed into the well known Slerpis convulsions?

Where are the obscenities? the absurdities? the snarling and verbal hair pulling? Where's the FUN?

Here's a small proposal to get you all to wake up. Someone recently suggested that the forum's taste in absinthe has evolved collectively. The buyers' guide reviews don't hold true anymore (not that they ever did for everyone - consider Heiko's curious Herring fetish, or the recent Segarra thread). Consequently, I'd like brief reviews, preferences, etc, of the following, from as many people as possible:

` Deva 50/70
` Absinthe N.S.
` Segarra
` Serpis
` Mari Mayans
` La Fee
` La Bleue (specify)

Some of course spit on all of these. Some have tried Jade and can never go back. But meanwhile, these are the relatively easiest to obtain so..

Wench
profoundly bored

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation