T. Breaux Review of La Fee Absinthe

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:T. Breaux Review of La Fee Absinthe
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through August 13, 2000  49   08/13 12:34am

By Artemis on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 05:05 am: Edit

Sorry Don, the response to "Fan" isn't in another thread - it's right here -

"Fan" wrote, in part:

"I hate to say it but I've had bleue and La Fee, thanks to a forum friend, and they both taste almost exactly like the soanish (he meant "Spanish") to me. Sure, bleue is clear and a little thin tasting, and la Fee has that wierd lasala/montana scent to it, but they're still mostly licorice."

La Bleue and La Fee may taste like licorice, but you can't say they taste like "the Spanish", because there is a wide variation in the way Spanish absinthes taste, with some of them, such as Lasala and Montana, not tasting anything like licorice, at least not to me.

"And I'd bet that the over hyped thai absinthe is going to be pretty much the same, but much like these expensive and ungettable brands, they'll tell you it's earth shakingly different ..."

I have had high quality absinthe made by non-commercial distillateurs. It IS earth shakingly different from any commercial product out there, Spanish or otherwise. It has a WAY different flavor. It is WAY better tasting and easier to drink. It does NOT taste like licorice. I'm not saying this to be elitist - "I have drunk this and you haven't". Nor do I have a commercial ax to grind or any reason to bullshit you. I am saying this to let you know you haven't begun to see absinthe be all it can be. Now, given Ted's experience and dedication, there's every reason to believe his (Don's) product will be even BETTER than the stuff I just described, and brother, that's a whole new world of tasty. For this reason, all complaints about over-hyping aside, Don and Ted's commercial venture may be the best thing to happen so far in the absinthe renaissance. I wouldn't be too quick to write it off.

By Artemis on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 04:59 am: Edit

Don wrote:

"I wasn't bashing you. Nor was I trying to build a personality cult around Ted and/or myself. No cause to hibernate! Skins are not so thin as to not be able to tolerate the occasional barb."

I know you weren't bashing me. I didn't take it that way at all. The "cave" to which I withdrew isn't hibernation, but a period of being in the dark with regard to this forum, due to lack of Internet access. Your post quoted above is almost two weeks old, but I didn't see it until today!

As I write this, I just got off the road, completing a drive of many rural miles through the cornfields of the Midwest. This time of year, that countryside puts me in mind of a French passage describing a late summer journey through the Val de Travers in the glory days of Absinthe: to paraphrase, the traveller encountered a "blueish harvest" of absinthe herbs surrounding the villages like "a perfumed belt". The wildflowers lining these cornfield roads provide similar color and perfume. Today, the scene was further enhanced by butterflies - thousands of them filled the air over the dusty roads, playing connect-the-dots with the flowers.

"We wouldn't be so protective if we hadn't something neat to protect. You needn't take that on faith. Just suspend your disbelief will I get a sample to you. Then you can make up your own mind, and if we fail you, then, damn us!"

I hear and understand. I never expressed any disbelief, either. See my response to "Fan" in a separate thread for more on this. But the sooner I get that sample, the sooner I can proclaim the truth in the land!!

By malhomme on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 09:16 pm: Edit

"A posted e-mail address is the cyber equivalent of 'walk it like you talk it'"

And the assertion that it is cowardly to not post an e-mail address is the cyber equivalent of "oh yeah, well say it to my face!" :)
m.

By Mo Chit on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 11:28 am: Edit

marc,

what the hell does he know anyway? He's just a
dead king, no? Good for you tell your own story,
in whatever fashion you wish... but now about this
goth motif...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation