"Paris Green"

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:"Paris Green"
By Marc on Sunday, August 06, 2000 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Paris Green would make a cool name for an urbane
private eye. The absinthe detective. After drinking a couple of glasses of the green fairy, Paris Green can generally crack any case.

By tabreaux on Sunday, August 06, 2000 - 07:54 pm: Edit

Paris Green or French Green is an archaic term used for cupric acetoarsenite. This compound is toxic (arsenic is not exactly an FDA nutritional requirement), and its emerald green color suggests that it more than likely found its way into some cheap spirits in the old days.

By domingo on Sunday, August 06, 2000 - 05:08 pm: Edit

That makes alot more sense. Thanks for the info and update.
Domingo

By The Green Imp on Sunday, August 06, 2000 - 07:01 am: Edit

Well, actually not....Paris Green was a poison used long ago. I believe it was Copper Sulfate based. Some of the less reputable Absinthe makers may have used it for the green coloring, but Paris Green was at one time an oldtime commercial poison. Perhaps some of our online chemists can give a better background on it.
Regards
Jay

By domingo on Sunday, August 06, 2000 - 06:28 am: Edit

I found an interesting set of glasses this weekend. It was a novelty glass bar set from maybe the 40's. It came in a wooden box that had a skull and cross bones logo. It read, "Name Your Poison". The glasses were black tumblers or rocks glasses. Each one marked by a different poison. Strycnine, Cyanide, Arsenic... and the last one was marked "Paris Green". I believe that Paris Green is our beloved absinthe, but what a line up to be in. Hysteria and propaganda must have really worked to have made it on to a 1940's-50's novelty set.
Domingo

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation