Archive through June 21, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Rerun of Martha does Absinthe:Archive through June 21, 2000
By Pete & Repeat on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 09:59 pm: Edit

the glass was full of the sample made by tabs

By SeaRobin on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 09:10 am: Edit

I'd like to see this broadcast. If anyone still has a tape of it and can make an .avi, please send it to me and I'll put it on my website and leave a pointer to it here.

If you can't make an .avi, I can. If you mail the tape to me, or make a dub of it, I'll make the .avi and send you your tape back.

Thanks
SeaRobin

By The Green Imp on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 09:29 pm: Edit

I heard the audio of the original broadcast when it was aired, but didn't see the show.
I taped the segment today, and the show was edited.
There was no voice over that this was not absinthe
but just pastis, on the fist airing.
Most likely the syndicator or corporate types got scared of the evil influence of the dreaded "Green Fairy" and edited the program.
Perhaps that is just as well, since it leaves more absinthe for us........
Regards
Jay

By tabreaux on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 07:26 pm: Edit

The liquid in the glass was in fact something I made about 2 years ago.

By 21st Century Rimbaud on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 05:55 pm: Edit

Absintheur,

I too saw the segment, and was wondering the same things. I also noticed, that when she said to him something like "this is pastis, of course, and not absinthe, right?", he said nothing and the camera cut away from him. Very curious indeed. Another thing was that when he put the spoon in the glass to "muddy it up" there was no water, but when they cut to a closer shot, the amount of liquid in the glass was higher and it was cloudy. It was as if by magic, water had appeared in the glass! I don't know what to make of the segment, except that it was a disappointment. But what could you expect?

~Rimbaud

By tabreaux on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 11:19 am: Edit

I know Patrick quite well, but if what you say is true, then I have no idea was he was thinking. I still haven't seen the segment.

By Absintheur on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 09:26 am: Edit

That turned out to be dissapointing. In fact, there were multiple disclaimers, both in voice over, and in the shot, indicating that there was no "illegal absinthe" being consumed, only pastis.

And, furthermore, Patrick got the ritual all muddled, there were no carafes or fountains at hand, presimably because none were in stock.

He indicated that the propper ritual was to pour absinthe itself over sugar, then to muddle the two together, then to drink -- no water was mentioned at all. He even went so far as to insinuate that an absinthe fountain would have held absinthe itself, and not water.

And, last, but certainly not least he described absinthe as "a product of the thuja tree, with some grasses and herbs in it. It's really very interesting."

On multiple occassions he proclaimed himself an expert, and Ms. Stewart credited him with the authorship of numerous articles on absinthe (obviously none of them terribly ellucidating).

Anyone want to write a letter?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation