Archive through July 7, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Tried Absinthe for the first time.:Archive through July 7, 2000
By Jack's Homo-Erotic Dream on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 10:24 pm: Edit

wrestle this!

By Captain Rotundo: Defender of the Universe on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 11:25 am: Edit

I'll wrestle anyone

By Argon 39 on Thursday, July 06, 2000 - 11:49 pm: Edit

Doug, Rotundo
Try the Staroplzensky...
Not a lick of licorice taste!

The bitter sting of this forum will pale in comparison.

By tabreaux on Thursday, July 06, 2000 - 11:21 pm: Edit

Actually, you'd be more truthful by saying, "Modern absinthe is a drink that you need to get used to." I have yet to taste a modern product that is anything like the old stuff. Rest assured that the old Pernod and Herbsaint takes no 'getting used to'. This stuff seduces you from the first sip, and I doubt that you'd want to adulterate it with anything but water.

By Wiz on Thursday, July 06, 2000 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Absinthe is a drink that grows on you. Most people I turned on, hated the first drink, then loved the next. Absinthe is a special drink that takes a few drinks to enjoy. Yes lemon does make the drink taste great. That's why 7-up makes such a good mixer, better than the Mountian Pew suggested, even better than sugar cubes and water. The louche even looks good with 7-up poured very slowly into the drink, drop by drop. The best way to consume absinthe I think is Neat!

JAH LOVE
WIZ

By Don Walsh on Thursday, July 06, 2000 - 02:55 am: Edit

Jeez.

Ok here we go.

1. Absintheur, points all well taken. However I seem to recall that the French side of the border (Pontarlier) eschewed star anise because they considered it unhealthy (I mean, compared to anise AND wormwood, obviously). Also, I can say with authority that the Asians, although they love their star anise in some dishes such as the Thai khao kao moo (pigs knuckes over white rice in star anise gravy) -- carefully warn diners that it is a 'warming' herb in same sense as durian is a 'warming' fruit and that it needs to be taken in moderation.

All that being said in mitigation, I personally do not see all that much difference...Ted may break my saber for this and rip off my tunic buttons and drum me out of the project to the tune of The Coward's March.

I enjoy Mari although it is hard to taste any absinthium in there. I have not, I am ashamed to say, had any of the other Iberians as yet.

If you think Ted dislikes star anise,, let me tell you, I once bought a kilo of Licorice Root and he just about went ballistic...

2) Pax vobiscum for Capr (in proximity zone for Major) Rotunda and friends. Welcome, and gentle thy spirits.

Ciao

Don

"a drinker not a wrestler I be"

and that goes double for my cat General Sterling Price.

By Marc on Wednesday, July 05, 2000 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Oceanbird,

Big Mango Don would destroy Captain Rotundo.
But, Don's current mission is making absinthe not wrestling every two-bit punk that blows into town.
Ask yourself this question: Would you rather have a world-class absinthe or the pleasure of watching
Don decimate Rotundo?

The one thing that I will miss is seeing Don
in his old emerald green wrestling outfit, the capitol D sprouting fairy wings emblazoned on his massive chest.

By Oceanbird on Wednesday, July 05, 2000 - 10:20 pm: Edit

marc,

I'd pay. I mean picture this kids... Two go in,
only one, the Mango OR the Rotundo comes out
alive... man we could go pay per view on this one

By Mr. Wormwood on Wednesday, July 05, 2000 - 08:54 pm: Edit

What's next you two? Are you going to log onto a single malt scotch forum somewhere and post: "Whiskey tastes like crap, I hate the flavor of whiskey, are there any brands that taste like Pepsi".

By P.Jamma on Wednesday, July 05, 2000 - 07:24 pm: Edit

You guys need your own chat room.

By Marc on Wednesday, July 05, 2000 - 11:04 am: Edit

Doug and Rotundo,

When you come into this forum calling absinthe
"the most noxious and disgusting liquid ever devised by man", you should expect to take a little heat. Your comment was a sweeping, and crude,
generalization. It hardly inspires a considered response. You don't tell us specifically what it is that you don't like about the absinthe. If it is the licorice taste (anise), then try some of the Czech brands. I'm in the minority here, but I like Sebor. It is more herbal and bitter than the Spanish brands. But, my guess is that you probably
won't enjoy any brand of absinthe.
You're entitled to your opinion, but dissing absinthe here in the forum is like going to into someone's home and peeing on the carpet.

Seeing as Big Mango Don took my post as an insult
(it was not), I am prepared to challenge Captain
Rotundo to a steel cage match. Big Apple Hippy vs.
Captain Rotundo in a fight to the death. The winner gets bottle of Deva or a lemon spritzer.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, July 05, 2000 - 10:37 am: Edit

the anise seed flavored absinthes to me seem less potent or even pungent...they don't have that expolsive licorice taste...although I do enjoy star anise when there is an equal value of mint in the absinthe. All in all it is a matter of taste I think. I hate Dr. Pepper but I love even the most generic Coke...just odd that way..

take care

J

By Absintheur on Wednesday, July 05, 2000 - 09:14 am: Edit

Justin, I understand that you and Ted don't like star anise, and that you share the sense that it offers a totally different character to the drink.

I find this somewhat odd.

Firstly, I happen to prefer star anise, as I like the smoky sweetness it tends to impart to the drink (I was also a great proponant of star anise, over anise seed, as a chef). I've certainly never tasted any acridity whatsoever in star anise (and I doubt it's perceived acridity, or "sharp bitterness," wouild make the slightest difference next to any residual bitterness of the wormwood; as implying that the star anise is acrid argues that you can discern that any bitterness is not wormwood). And, secondly, I've never known anyone who personally disliked the "licorice-y" family of flavors, who preferred or even tollerated one anise over another. Folks who don't like anise, in whatever form, generally dislike absinthe -- whether that flavor be derived from anise, star anise, fennel, or licorice root.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, July 05, 2000 - 07:31 am: Edit

the la bleue I carry does not taste too much of star anise (the nasty sutff in Deva) rather with anise seed. Check it out on the buyers guide..

By Doug on Wednesday, July 05, 2000 - 07:21 am: Edit

A Note From Rotundo's Friend:

I'm the guy who got the absinthe with Cpt.
Rotundo, and I think something needs to be
said: We don't like licorice/anise. It's
understandable that some people do, but only
as much as it's understandable that some
people like sticking their genitals in open
flames. To each his own, I suppose.

It just seems to me that Absinthe isnt a flavor
to enjoy so much as to withstand. Like
Rotundo said, we tried mixing it with water,
sugar and lemon. We probably should have
tried Ambisol.

But, let me reiterate, this is not a flame. If you
all enjoy anise, that's cool. It just tastes
horrible, in our opinion.

Any absinthes that don't taste like licorice?

By Captain Rotundo: Defender of the Universe on Wednesday, July 05, 2000 - 07:09 am: Edit

wow, I thought this forum was for the disgution of absinthe, instead I bring up my response to one particular brand and get threatened and attacked and insulted, by a bunch of pompous asses. Did I say It would be my last absinthe ? no, perhaps I will move on to another brand, and maybe I will like that, at no point in my post did I insult you people for enjoying the drink, all I said was that it wasnt too hot on the flavour side my fist time, the jury is still out. Maybe you poeple could have suggested a better brand if there was a problem with Deva, lord knows I chose deva because of what was written in this forum. And if you can recomend a source for a much better brand, do so.

By Don Walsh on Wednesday, July 05, 2000 - 04:35 am: Edit

Listen, ignorant. Big Mango equals Bangkok, not Don. Should we call you Big Apple? I often signed my name 'Don in the Big Mango' just to underscore that point, on the old Forum.

You want to once again engage in personal attacks on me instead of talking about absinthe, go find yourself another Forum, because I'm not going to waste electrons (albeit free ones) responding to your pointless barbs any further.

By Marc on Wednesday, July 05, 2000 - 12:03 am: Edit

How about Big Mango and Captain Rotundo in a steel cage match? I'd pay good money to see that!

By Don Walsh on Tuesday, July 04, 2000 - 10:40 pm: Edit

De gustibus, and all that.

Would anyone like to send Pvt Rotundo a bottle or two of green Creme de Menthe? Maybe he will swap the Deva for it.

By Billynorm on Tuesday, July 04, 2000 - 03:58 pm: Edit

There's no accounting for tastes! Capt. Rotundo tried Deva & didn't like it. In the NY Times article, Amanda Hesser tried Hill's & almost sort of liked it!

In short, I'm against gene-splicing!

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, July 04, 2000 - 02:07 pm: Edit

What is funny though is Capt. Rotundo's review seems to be the general review I get when I offer absinthe to people..most can't get past the first glass...but that is with star-anise based Spanish Absinthe...Most people like La bleue and such and so forth....

J

By Argon 39 on Tuesday, July 04, 2000 - 02:07 am: Edit

Noxiuous? HA! Try the Staroplzensky. Deva is maple syrup compared to that stuff.

You don't drink LITE do you Rotundo?

By hippy/Marc's evil twin on Monday, July 03, 2000 - 11:19 pm: Edit

rotundo,

did you add water to the absinthe? Or Mountan Dew?

By Midas on Monday, July 03, 2000 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Captain Rotundo,
Just because it's green doesn't mean it tastes like Midori. Maybe you should have tried some before investing in two bottles?!
Well, there's no accounting for taste, I guess...

By Marc on Monday, July 03, 2000 - 11:29 am: Edit

Captain Rotundo,

calling absinthe "the most noxious and disgusting liquid ever devised by mankind" in an absinthe forum is kind of like wearing a Red Sox cap to Yankee stadium. Be very afraid, be very afraid.

By Captain Rotundo: Defender of The Universe on Monday, July 03, 2000 - 07:31 am: Edit

I ordered a couple of bottles of Deva with a friend, and they arrived on friday. We both tried it that night, only to discover that it is the most noxious and disgusting liquid ever divised by mankind (except of course modern day pernod which is just straight evil in a bottle). I believe at this point that the effects had to be psychological but there is no way to know without a similarly tasting placebo. But the drunk was very strange, almost surreal. and there was absolutly no hangover or any of the negative side effects from drinking, I never felt sick or even mildly drunk, i just was drunk, rather an odd feeling. I can say (if their is anyone out there that is also disgusted by the absinthe) that if you replace the water with a HEALTHY dose of lemon juice you will get something quite a bit more palitable.

my 2 cents.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation