Archive through July 8, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Swiss La Bleue:Archive through July 8, 2000
By Don Walsh on Saturday, July 08, 2000 - 05:28 am: Edit

Andrew: here is some NON proprietary information you can have:

1. La Bleue is a term for a highly variable product from various bootleggers in Switzerland. It is therefore hard to be specific about a particular La Bleue as one must approach it on a batch by batch basis.

2. That being said, generally La Bleue is a simpler absinthe than most, using fewer herbs in the steep, and ommitting the post-distillation coloration step altogether. That is why it is water white (usually) and not green. This further simplofies the flavor as the color step herbs add finishing flavors not found in La Bleue.

3. A perfectly passable replica of La Bleue can be produced using three herbs only. To duplicate a belle epoch premium absinthe involves approximately a dozen herbs.

4. La Bleue generally involves only one wormwood -- A.absinthium, grand wormwood.) Premium belle epoch absinthes also employed A.pontica (Roman wormwood).

No other wormwoods (such as southern wormwood) are encountered in Absinthes including La Bleue. They are used in phony 'Absente' pastis instead.

The process we use was painstakingly developed by Ted A.Breaux to replicate a major belle-epoch Absinthe, E.Pernod. No contemporary absinthe tastes anything like this. Yes, we have 100 year old E.Pernod, Pernod Fils and pre-ban Herbsaint to compare modern absinthes to and to study.

Ted's a professional chemist. So am I. We joined forces to produce this product because we both love Absinthe.

In summary, we are talking about a product involving approx a dozen herbs instead of La Bleue's maybe three or four. Two wormwoods to La Bleue's one. Three steps in production to La Bleue's two. Consistency of manufacture to La Bleue's highly inconsistent illicit production by multiple clandestine makers.

I like La Bleue. I buy it in Switzerland for $30 US and I think it makes a nice cool drink. I think it makes all modern absinthes on the market today (Spanish and Czech) pale in comparison. HOWEVER it is not the ultimate Absinthe that is possible. We can prove this NOW. Come to Bangkok to see.

By Don Walsh on Saturday, July 08, 2000 - 05:05 am: Edit

Andrew wants proprietary information. Andrew can go screw himself. NO absinthe maker is going to publish the details of their process.

No one has tasted this product? Not true. Try James Gordon of New Millenium Products, who was here visiting Bangkok within the last 30 days. He can also answer the burning question of whether this is a trailer park I'm living in.

Numerous people have tried Ted's in New Orleans.

By the way: agenda is not spelled adgenda.

By adudinsk (209.216.130.6 - 209.216.130.6) on Saturday, July 08, 2000 - 04:06 am: Edit

I agree.... lets offer INFORMATION.. this thread is about La Bleue. (yeah.. got it typoed..). Now then may I pose this question:

Q: What is so different between Don's and La Bleue? What EXACTALLY is different in the process, ingred's?

Q: How does HE process the wormwood? How does it differ from La Bleue?

Q: What specific Wormwood is being used?

These should be no-brainers.. and I'm sure many people on this thread would like to know...

Adgenda? No... I have just heard sooooo much of this absinthe.. how great it is.. now you have perfected it (which may be true)... but NO ONE .. repeat NO ONE has ever seen any?! Forgive me.. but I trust in God.. all others must bring data. Its my nature, and required in my profession,.. and is getting worse with age. That is me.

I am a stickler for details... again as I was trained.. and am required to be at work... This is me.

So.. why is yours better? and when will someone see some? Not being snotty.. just would like it laid out for me (the fact freak)

Andrew

By Marc on Saturday, July 08, 2000 - 02:55 am: Edit

Don,

the wrestling comment was a riff on your name,
Big Mango Don, and Captain Rotundo's. They're
great names for professional wrestlers. I felt the forum could us an injection of humor (however sophmoric) to dispel some of the heavy vibes
that have clouded the forum recently. The wrestling joke was done in the same spirit as your Monty Pythonesque absinthe song. I think you know me well enough by now to know I'm not an idiot, so to call the wrestling thread idiotic is a little meanspirited.

I think it's time for everybody posting in the forum to show a little respect for each other.

It's easy to insult and flame people. It's usually a sign that you don't have anything of value to say. Posting informed and insightful
messages requires knowledge and wisdom. There's a tremendous amount of information available in this forum and it is being offered by people,
like Don, Ted, Absintheur, Wormwood, Artemis,
that have gone to great effort to acquire this
information. This forum is unique, there is no other like it. Be good to it and it will be good to you.

Now, anybody wanna wrestle?

By Don Walsh on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 11:18 pm: Edit

PS to below.

I am not the one who interjected the idiotic wrestling into this thread, it was Michael, so go complain to him. Or to Marc who brought it up in the first place.

And I do not live in a trailer park, for your information I live very well, indeed, so well that I can afford to set up a commercial distillery.

Your attack suggests that while persons in this thread are permitted to assault me and insult me, I am not allowed to defend myself. I hardly think so.

By the way, learn some French. It's La Bleue not Le Bleue. A simple matter of gender. But perhaps that's something you wouldn't understand, having no balls at all?

By Don Walsh on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 10:03 pm: Edit

Dear Andrew

I happen to like La Bleue. But I am not making La Bleue, as someone quite mistakenly and misleadingly insinuated.

All I was doing was correcting his error.

For that you heap scorn and rificule?

That isn't a rational position to take, unless you have another agenda going.

Ted and I have explained over and over that our product cannot be shipped until we receive the required permits from the Thai Government. This takes time.

Meanwhile if you want a taste kindly come to Bangkok. Or go to New Orleans if you can't afford to come here.

By Adudinsk on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 06:51 pm: Edit

Don... what the heck are you talking about?

?I do not make La Bleue.. I do not wrestle.. I do not make cubic zirconia!?

Wow.. you should stop drinking your stuff ... its damaged your brain!

If your product is so great.. you should be making it.. and selling it.. and making lots of money.. Please..... (I look around and see nothing!)

(I close my eyes..)
Visions of a bath tub still, in the woods behind your trailer home come to mind...

Yes.. Yes.. your right.. your drink is better then any on the world.. your the best Absinthe maker there is...yes... yes... thats it..Yeah..Yeah..

Please.. this is for discussing things in a proper manner.. This board is to discuss Le Bleue.. not "Le Don Walsh"... Maybe you should start your own thread? Maybe you should post there?

Sooo.... where is your product? We hear soooo much.. but see nothing? Obviously you must have made LARGE amounts.. Where is it?

(The wheel is spinning.. but the Hampster is dead!)

"I drink Le Bleue.. 'cause I have not seen Don's"
"I do not wrestle.. 'cause I dont live in a trailer park"
"I do not make Cubic Zirconia.. 'cause I do not have a 1,000,000 tonne press"

(rolling eyes in disgust)
Andrew

By Michael on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 06:51 pm: Edit

Hey, just a shout of thanks for all the invaluable responses to my virginal queries!

I am thinking I will save my pennies and purchase some of the fine La Bleue from Betina!

Can anyone give me some taste differentiation between the French La Bleue (say, from Belle Epoche) and Betina's Suisse Le Bleue?

Thanks a mug,
m

By Don Walsh on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 09:50 am: Edit

Dear nah pooh

PARDON ME?

I am not making ANY version of La Bleue.

I do drink La Bleue. Less than I used to, because I prefer mine own.

I do know how to make La Bleue; I don't bother.

I do know how to wrestle; I don't bother. I prefer a large bore handgun or SMG, or Shotokan karate if I'm out of ammo...

Instead I make something far more complex and precious than La Bleue.

If you could make diamonds, why would you make cubic zirconia?

By Nah Pooh on Thursday, July 06, 2000 - 08:50 pm: Edit

oh michael, oh jesus, you know i'm not to blame...

but taste tests have convinced me, personally, la
bleue is the Absinthe.

Comparatively, the Spanish do not rate, though
they rank 2nd...Mari or (pref) Deva. Betina will
be prompt, courteous and honest, and lo, it shall
not be cheap. The Spanish will be sort of prompt
courteous, and honest (spirit corner).

But, until Don quits wrestling for good and gets
THAT version of la bleue released, and then the
tastes will indeed be tested, Ms Betina's is
far and away the best of the best...

By Marc on Thursday, July 06, 2000 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Michael

Of all the absinthe available at this time, La Bleue is my favorite. It really is in a league of it's own. The Spanish are fine, particularly
Mari Mayans, and the Czech Sebor is okay. But, it's La Bleue,with it's light flavor of anise, deep floral notes and hint of wormwood bitterness that floats my boat. La Bleue seems shot through
with an Alpine spirit, it's got a high altitude clarity, fresh and invigorating.

Is the price worth it? That's relative. As an underpaid poet, it's a big investment. Is it
that much better than Deva, yes. Is it better than Sebor, no comparison. If you can scrape together the money and you want to experience the finest absinthe currently available, buy La Bleue.
If you really can't afford it, I would recommend Mari Mayans or Deva.

By Michael Gause on Thursday, July 06, 2000 - 04:17 pm: Edit

"Hi, my name is Michael, and I am an absinthe virgin."
(in unison: "Hi, Michael.")

I have been researching which absinthe to spend my hard earned green on. I am a poet who works at a non-profit as an admin. slut to pay the bills.

I am curious about the Suisse La Blue, and the good things people are saying about Betina, The Wonder Shipper. Would the sugar cube/spoon ritual apply with this absinthe? Is it REALLY better than, say, Deva or Sebor? How?

Thanks for humoring a newbie,
m

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation