Archive through July 8, 2000

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Tutti i gusti son gusti: my $0.02 on Absente:Archive through July 8, 2000
By Marc on Saturday, July 08, 2000 - 02:27 am: Edit

Billynorm

Will you be mass-marketing the Blaspho-Meter?
As a chronic blasphemer, I need the help of such a device in navigating the treacherous waters of political correctness. I am constantly alienating
feminists, gays, blacks, Arabs, Christians etc.
with my un-p.c. remarks. I simply don't know what's going to piss people off. The Blaspho-Meter
is a product who's time has come. Now if you could only get David Duke or Charles Manson to endorse it.

By Billynorm on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 11:51 pm: Edit

BILLY NORM'S FABULOUS BLASPHO-METER!

I've invented a device for measuring blasphemy geared for every known belief system! I'm going to test it right here in The Absinthe Forum. I don't have the technical capability to show you the test, so I'll give you the play-by-play.

Test A: I'll say something not necessarily blasphemous, but rather something stupid, insensitive , or perhaps politically incorrect: "Why doesn't that Dalai Lama character go back to where he came from?" The Blaspho-Meter jumped a bit, so it works.

Test B: "For Vacation Bible School this year, the required reading is THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST by Nikos Kazantzakis." The Blaspho-Meter really jumped for that!

Test C: "Here's Louis Farrakhan for Jimmy Dean's Pure Pork Sausage." The Blaspho-Meter really showed off its bells & whistles for that!

Test D: "I once used the Shroud of Turin for a joy-rag." The Blaspho-Meter's built-in seismometer kicked in & the ambient ammeter registered some electricity in the air as though lightning might strike!

Test E: "I prefer Absente to both Sebor & Herbsaint." THE BLASPHO-METER IS BROKEN! THE BLASPHO-METER IS BROKEN!

By Argon 39 on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 10:20 pm: Edit

Drunkinboat-guy, you are a trooper. I too have to cut and paste the name however I can't brave the agressive nature of the taste.

Ted, well... you kill me. That truly is a stupid site. $20.00 an oz. is very stupid!

By Billynorm on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 11:28 am: Edit

Don,
Yes, I'm aware Herbsaint is available via mail order & I've bought it that way, otherwise how could I have formed an opinion? But I probably won't buy it again that way, because (1) I didn't like it that much & (2) if I did give it another chance, I'd want to have it readily available & not have to wait for it. Is that a bogus argument? No, I'm just funny that way.

Marc,
Yes, we are! Thank you, I think.

Love is the Law, Love over Will,
Billynorm

By tabreaux on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 10:45 am: Edit

Regarding the site you mentioned below, it took all of two minutes to determine that this is a site by the stupid, for the stupid.

By Don Walsh on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 09:39 am: Edit

Herbsaint is available by mail order from a California merchant, for less than $20 a bottle.

If you think Absente tastes better, fine; but to argue that it is better because Herbsaint isn't 'readily available' (outside N.O.) is bogus, when you can buy it via mail order, cheap and fast, inside USA, by a seller identified on the Buyers Guide.

Herbsaint pastis has been around a LONG time; Absente is a flash in the pan IMHO. Crillon's hype has alienated a lot of resellers and consumers.

By joepublic on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 07:20 am: Edit

since the subject of absente has come up, has anyone else noticed a site listed on the webring under "wormwood herbal dietary supplement"? the URL is, http://www.wormwood-absente.com/
is this some kind of a joke?

By br0therben on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 07:16 am: Edit

Hey all,
I don't think it is fair to compare the Sebors to the pastis or Schultz, Hills, etc. Sebor is a decent product that is (IMHO) overpriced when compared to Mari or Deva. Sebor certainly does have a distinctive flavor when compared to the Spanish brands, and it is somewhat bitter - which I like. I only drink the "strong" sebor, which is a tad more bitter and definately has its kick (only 5% more alcohol, but it feels like more...). If you don't like the licorice/star anise flavors, you probably won't like sebor, but to be fair those flavors are present to a greater degree in the Spanish brands. Sebor does not strike me as a pastis, either, or at least not a Pernod Fils.
My tastes tell me Sebor is an acceptable product - and unlike Hills or Schultz, it does have that "hand-crafted" taste and boquet. There is also a tasty herbal flavor which accompanies the first drink, though it is much too subdued to be a real asset. Sebor does not have the "candied" sweetness of some of the Spanish brands, either.

As a side note, my last batch came in a plain bottle with the label in an envelope, and on the envelope it read "it's easier to get it through customs this way!!!" Snicker. I'll bet Wiz could sell the "bootleg" Sebor for 50$ a shot with that kind of image...

By tabreaux on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 07:08 am: Edit

You don't read much about Staroplzensky here because one taste is usually all it takes to convince a would-be buyer not to avoid it. Inevitably however, because it is sold as "absinth" and is priced seductively high, someone will want it.

By tabreaux on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 06:58 am: Edit

As they say, "Presentation is everything". The problem with Absente is that it is presented as "absinthe refined", of course which it is not. Not just that, but the misleading language it proclaims, such as "Absente was enjoyed a century ago, blah, blah.....", and the erroneous claim that A. aboretum is 'petite absinthe', when it in fact is not, etc., are reasons why this product is a sham and a farce. It is not that the product is all that bad, assuming you like the taste of monochromatic licorice root and NOTHING else, but to add insult to injury, it is twice the cost of ordinary pastis (because they feel they can get it, and as you pointed out, they do). If you like it buy it. But as far as the marketing propaganda behind it, I call bullshit on this, and lots of it. You don't need to smell a rat when it hits you in the face.

By Drunkinboat on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 05:36 am: Edit

Well, everyone has their own opinion, so I guess I'll add my own. With the Czech brands I personally like Staroplzensky (L'OR).

I only post this because I don't see much of a comment on this brand here. Yes, at first, there is an almost rubbing alchohol smell, but you get used to it. It is also far more bitter than Sebor. However, to me Sebor tasts too much like a Pernod Fills, or Absenthe, and for the price I'd just rather pay for the Fills. Yes, I know that once you tack on the word Absinthe to something, such as Sebor, magic is assumed, but to me the taste is just too much like Pernod Fills.

Personally I prefer something stronger. I like the bitterness, and the high alchohol content smell of Staroplzensky - It gives me the feeling that it is about to kick my ass, if I have too many drinks, which is almost always the case =)

OK, so it doesn't louch very well - almost not at all. And I will most likely never be able to pronounce it, let alone spell the name without having to cut-n-paste, but if Sebor tastes anything like the Spanish brands then I have already found my favorite - Staroplzensky

By Mr. Wormwood on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 04:14 am: Edit

Don't tar all Czech absinthe with the same brush. I happen to think Sebors is OK, if you don't thats OK too. It is at least an honest product, they say its absinthe and it is, by just about everyone's definition. (It contains wormwood and the flavor is pretty close).

Even if you hate it, you will have to admit it is pretty far ahead of whatever is in second place.

Sebors is by far the best Czech absinthe, both beacause its pretty good and because its competition is all such crap.

By Marc on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 02:09 am: Edit

billynorm,

I think you are bright, refreshingly objective
and probably a wonderful person. As I am.

By Billynorm on Friday, July 07, 2000 - 01:25 am: Edit

Being a newcomer to the absinthe world, & therefore to The Absinthe Forum, I've observed a lot by watching, as my favorite Yogi (Berra) once said. I've drunk Deva, Sebor, Mari Mayans & Justin's La Bleue, & I've liked all except for the Sebor. I've also drunk more than my fair share of pastis: Henri Bardouin, Ricard, Pernod, Herbsaint & Absente.

Absente has certainly stirred up some debate in this forum. Justin says it's only a pastis. That's fair. Ted says it's a "farce" & he dislikes the taste. Fine, but is it as much of a farce than any Czech "absinth" you can name? I doubt it. According to the cognoscenti in the Forum, there may be no such thing as absinthe produced in the Czech Republic. Absente is advertising itself as "absinthe refined" which is a dodgy issue at best. Putting a positive spin on that statement & given the fact that Crillon has been selling Absente in gift sets with a glass & spoon, Crillon is at least educating the public in the proper absinthe ritual! If you had to choose between Czech "absinth" & Absente (& choosing neither wouldn't be an option), which would you choose? It's a far better choice than any of the presidential elections of late!

Granted, Absente is not the best pastis (especially for what it costs), but call me crazy (but not collect), I like it better than Herbsaint, partially because Herbsaint isn't readily available outside of New Orleans, but Absente is.

A neighbor of mine once told me that if someone tells you that you have good taste, that person isn't really complimenting you, but rather is saying, "Hey, you like what I like." Conversely, if someone tells you that you have bad taste, all that person is really saying is, "I don't like what you like." ("Tutti i gusti son gusti" means "All tastes are tastes.")

But what do you think?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation