Wilde and Absinthe

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Wilde and Absinthe
By Morrigan Le Fey on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Midas - Mike has the Maignan print at his Absinthe Collectibles website -

http://www.mcs.net/~mikei/absinthe/repr/reprint.htm

Unfortunately, his prints only seem to come in small sizes.

- Morrigan

By Marc on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 11:57 am: Edit

What have you found to dispute Wilde's account?

By Midas on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 08:08 am: Edit

I have encountered a bit of a fallacy concerning Oscar Wilde, and the effect absinthe had on him. It has been reported that after drinking absinthe, he saw tulips growing out of the floor. Whereas, the actual quote is
"...I said, and as I got up and passed out into the street I felt-the-heavy-tulip-heads-brushing against my shins..."
This he reportedly felt after drunkenly telling the waiter who evicted him from the cafe he was sitting in that "tulips must be his favourite flower". I have often found that after a few glasses, my movements feel more fluid, as if wading through water. Maybe this is the sensation that Wilde had also, but he envisioned a different image to go with the sensation. Anyway, from what I've found, the account of Oscar Wilde hallucinating growing tulips after drinking absinthe in a cafe isn't accurate.
One more thing, does anyone know where I can get prints of "Under the Spell" by Guillaume, and "the Green Muse" by Albert Maignan?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation